Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 mpg claims

Views : 10712

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2011, 00:22   #11
Bernard333
Premier Member

75mpg is possible in a euro3 163bhp S60 D5 manual on a long run , it would need the right road conditions and the driver using the techniques on the hypermiling sites . Driving this way on a long journey can be extremely boring and there is a need to avoid causing incovenience to other road users who do not expect to get stuck behind someone cruising at 47mph . Most of my journeys are approx 1000 miles over two or three days and in 'real world' driving I have to be in certain places at a specific time which often buggers up my plans to achieve a high mpg. Wether or not its worth the effort depends on your income , a journey from Liverpool to Glasgow at 43 mpg will cost me approx £32.25 for diesel and take 3 hours , at 60mpg it will take over 4 hours but cost £9.12 less . For many drivers I can understand this saving is just not worth the extra time it takes .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 22:01   #12
ianbr
WhyStillAnOptimistAtHeart

I have an 04 D5 which I have had from new and now has 163k on the clock. Over the years it has improved by around 5% from new and over the last year or 2 routinelly averages 40 or 41 ish. I typically do 400 miles a week (mostly to work and back on main roads/motorways). The trip computer started out life being approximatelly correct but over the last few years has settled to be around 10% optimistic compared to a brim to brim measurement. If you do take it down the motorway and cruise at 70 then it will return mid to high 40's over a long journey. If you slow down further then it will indeed get into the 50's (average speed zone roadworks on montorways can demonstrate this very nicelly) but I've only ever done this for any length of time once or twice when running low on fuel and being too mean to stop on the motorway.

Having said all of the above the claimed average EU consumption I think was around 43. My only real comparison of any length is to my wifes 207 with the 1.6 HDI engine. It's official EU average is around 60 but to be honest we only ever get 42-43 from it as an average (shortish journeys) and mid to late 40's from it on longer runs so on this basis I don't feel too cheated by the D5.
ianbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 21:21   #13
cheapskate2003

Interesting thread.

I have a 132,000 mile 05' manual S60 D5 and do a 60 mile daily commute, its over quiet small A roads and the average speed is 35 mph. If I drive sensibly I get 50 mpg and have got this for the last 4 months of driving this route.

Now this is great at the moment but im starting to think about changing the car and im worried that another car with a similar measured combined figure is going to give significantly worse fuel consumption. The 50 mpg is a real figure, the computer states 60-62 mpg and I can get a recorded 70 mpg on a very careful 50 mile 60 mph motorway run, this probably equates to 55 ish mpg.

Hopefully I can convince myself that its just down to the route I take and I can get reasonable results from whatever replaces it without bankrupting myself in the process.
cheapskate2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 23:20   #14
benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate2003 View Post
Interesting thread.

I have a 132,000 mile 05' manual S60 D5 and do a 60 mile daily commute, its over quiet small A roads and the average speed is 35 mph. If I drive sensibly I get 50 mpg and have got this for the last 4 months of driving this route.

Now this is great at the moment but im starting to think about changing the car and im worried that another car with a similar measured combined figure is going to give significantly worse fuel consumption. The 50 mpg is a real figure, the computer states 60-62 mpg and I can get a recorded 70 mpg on a very careful 50 mile 60 mph motorway run, this probably equates to 55 ish mpg.

Hopefully I can convince myself that its just down to the route I take and I can get reasonable results from whatever replaces it without bankrupting myself in the process.
Interesting as further to my original post, the mpg on the computer almost seems to go up exponentially compared with real world mpg. So for example, when I'm doing my regular commute to work, I'm getting 43mpg but the computer reads around 50-52. When I do long runs, I've got the computer up to 60mpg but then when calculating it brim to brim (typically I'll fill the tank to the brim at the beginning of a long journey) its around 45-46mpg.

And to be fair, I've never stuck to 60mph on the motorway so maybe at these speeds I could squeeze 50mpg out of it.
benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 10:24   #15
Bernard333
Premier Member

I do not use the computer to calculate average mpg , you are right it exaggerates , my figures are brim to brim . I have done moving average calculations using roughly 5000 mile intervals in addition to shorter specific journeys , the consumption improved slowly from 5k miles to 90k miles and then over the past 60k miles has started to gradually decline which I put down to wear on the components such as injectors / turbo. The only use I find for the trip computer is the instantaneous reading , prior to 2003 I clocked up high mileages in various Vauxhall Omegas and the trip computers fitted to these are far more accurate than Volvo which is dissapointing as these date back to the early 1990s.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 21:58   #16
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Default Mpg d5

They are probably quoting the average mpg off the dash. The readings are high, D5 V70 163 your probably seeing 45 mpg at 60 mph measured at the pumps, that is miles done to litres filled up to the very brim.

My 2003 V70 says 47mpg average, yet when I fill up I see 42/43 mpg. Every six days I'm down the filling station for damn near £100, and that's just on one car.
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 15:37   #17
Chauffeurdude

Interesting figures. My 57 plate D5 (just changed to 180,000 today!!) returns about 45mpg according to the computer, real world approx 42mpg brim to brim. Have been very pleased with this figure as car does some local taxi work and some long distance airport runs (loaded up of course). I drive sensibly but do get a move on where possible and typically cruise at 70 + on motorway depending on conditions. This figure seems pretty consistent and I cant say I have noticed much difference with different brands of fuel, seems to run much the same regardless!!
Chauffeurdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 23:53   #18
RoscoMac
Scottish Section Chair

My 04 S60 d5 163 gave me a disappointing 42mpg average, which was less than the 850 tdi which I had previously, doing the same journeys. Have just had 47mpg average out my S80 (d5252t) on long run down south.

R.
RoscoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 07:40   #19
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson View Post
Fair enough I guess...I just honestly cant see how anyone can get 60mpg plus out of a 2.4l diesel in real world driving conditions regardless of how its driven. I saw one ebay advert when I was looking for my s60 with the owner claiming to have got 75mpg! Perhaps on a downward stretch of straight road simply coasting...
Yesterday on a section of the A1M in light traffic. See Photo

I am not suggesting for one second that this is entirely normal but by the same token i was not manipulating the readout.

Realistically my 2006 S60 D5 185 6 speed manual does around 45mpg locally but mid 50's on a long run through france in the summer was effortless to attain and that was by brimming the tank not reading the computer readout.
Those with a D5 who say that they only get about 38 mpg should consider looking at their driving style.

Darryl ( Trainee Vicar )!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg normandy 018.jpg (146.5 KB, 52 views)

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 07:43   #20
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Those with a D5 who say that they only get about 38 mpg should consider looking at their driving style..

to add to that take off your roof box and all the crap on top of the car, do not eat pies,and empty the car
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post: