Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Suspension query

Views : 1150

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2014, 10:13   #1
2000V40

Default Suspension query

Good morning all!
As I have no clue whatsoever when it comes to most things related to my car, I was wondering if somebody would be able to enlighten me in regards to a rear (left) suspension issue on my V40 (x-reg, late 2000).

I've been hearing noises similar to springs in an old mattress lately, both when driving and if pushing down on the left-hand side of the boot, coupled with what sounds like a short, sharp knock at the end of travel.

Would that indicate that a full change of the suspension would be required or could I get away with some wd40 for the creaks and new top mounds? If a full change would be recommended and anyone knows where to get the right parts for a decent price, please let me know!

thank you,
Trond
2000V40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 10:19   #2
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Easiest way to tell is to jack up the car, take off the wheel, and have a look to see if anything is disconnected, snapped, or similar.

the first noise (creak) sounds like when I broke a spring in my Fiesta

the second (knock) sounds like your mounts or arm bushes might be worn

Could be both of course, and it's possible if your shock absorber is shot, then that's the root cause and replacing everything else you would just end up with broken replacements eventually.

It's certainly cheapest to buy a replacement leg from a breaker, £25-45 range, but it depends how much you want to spend and how long you want it to last.

PS you'll never leave
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 10:35   #3
v40alex
I do like a V40

What's your mileage? For squeaks and knocks I would check the droplinks first - on the rear they are the squiggly things attached to the lower arm (behind the suspension strut) and go to a bar that runs across the back of the car (your anti roll bar). Spray lots of WD on the linkages for those, if your squeak goes away, replace them on both sides. Also check the bush that is about six inches in on the anti roll bar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to v40alex For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 10:48   #4
2000V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
Easiest way to tell is to jack up the car, take off the wheel, and have a look to see if anything is disconnected, snapped, or similar.

Could be both of course, and it's possible if your shock absorber is shot, then that's the root cause and replacing everything else you would just end up with broken replacements eventually.

It's certainly cheapest to buy a replacement leg from a breaker, £25-45 range, but it depends how much you want to spend and how long you want it to last.

PS you'll never leave
I've already realised i'll never leave! She might be a bit rough around the edges, but lovely still! Thanks for the info and tips, much appreciated! Will check if there's a local breaker with Volvo's in stock at the moment. I don't mind paying for the right parts if they can be sourced new, I'd rather do that than taking it to the garage and say "fleece me, please"!
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 10:50   #5
2000V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40alex View Post
What's your mileage? For squeaks and knocks I would check the droplinks first - on the rear they are the squiggly things attached to the lower arm (behind the suspension strut) and go to a bar that runs across the back of the car (your anti roll bar). Spray lots of WD on the linkages for those, if your squeak goes away, replace them on both sides. Also check the bush that is about six inches in on the anti roll bar.
Cheers! mileage is just south of 120k. I dont have the paperwork in front of me to check service history for any repairs/replacements done in the past, but will check when home from work to see if it has been done at all.
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 11:06   #6
v40alex
I do like a V40

If it is the droplinks, they are a cheap and easy job, won't cost much to get a garage to do it for you either. Buy Volvo or Meyle HD ones, anything else only lasts about two years.

Last edited by v40alex; Apr 24th, 2014 at 11:09.
v40alex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to v40alex For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 11:10   #7
2000V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40alex View Post
If it is the droplinks, they are a cheap and easy job, won't cost much to get a garage to do it for you either. Buy Volvo or Meyle HD ones, anything else only lasts about two years.
sounds good, thank you!
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 13:59   #8
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I got both my droplinks replaced for about £50, they weren't Volvo or Meyle though. Sold the car before they failed again

IIRC the discount price on Volvo parts from FRF (search on here for "Rufe" and you'll find the details!) was about £25 a side, Uniparts were £18, not much difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 14:14   #9
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post

PS you'll never leave
I agree, with that list above, BUT trying to see what is kaput with the wheels on and the car on the ground is real difficult. Most Easyslide or Iffylube places have a senior chap that will figure out what has broken and not charge too much.
Do give him some negative rant input before he inspects the suspension and brakes, along the lines of, "You tell me what is really dangerous or might become dangerous AND my mates will then fix it. So don't write a shopping list, as their ain't no money in it for you or your owner".
You can also try getting a free safety inspection from a Volvo stealer, BUT don't sign anything without reading the small print, otherwise they might impound the vehicle if it's bad. Wash the car and put on smart gear before visting a stealer, or they might think you can't pay.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 18:40   #10
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Genuine frontier gibberish.