Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bulb upgrade?

Views : 30857

Replies : 287

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 06:45   #181
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

All sorted now, opted for another kit with a 4300k. If like you decide its not up to the job then I will have to get another kit thats more expencive.

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 07:48   #182
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomS40 View Post
All sorted now, opted for another kit with a 4300k. If like you decide its not up to the job then I will have to get another kit thats more expencive.
I would say that the cheaper sets take some time to bed in. Make sure you give them a good test to start.

Mine seemed to take about a week to sort themselves out.

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 08:03   #183
VenomS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
I would say that the cheaper sets take some time to bed in. Make sure you give them a good test to start.

Mine seemed to take about a week to sort themselves out.
How do you mean good test to start? As in a comparison test?

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 09:01   #184
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
How do you mean good test to start? As in a comparison test?
On/Off a lot, I found that at the start one of the lights would not light up unless I started the car straight away. It doesn't happen now. I think they needed bedding in?

Leaving it on for periods of time as well - The cheaper bulbs are cheaper for a reason, the gases in the bulb are literally stuck to the sides until they are fired up. They need to be left on for a while, you'll know what I mean when you see them up close. There is some residue on the inside of the bulb, this is the deposits of the gases they put in the bulb. That's why when you first turn them on they are more blue until it warms up (specifically the mercury) they will get whiter and whiter but in your case slightly yellow and then finally settle at it's operating temperature. It is the gases reacting and producing the light.

Also, don't touch them, try and keep the bulb as clean as possible, no dust, grease etc... If any oil from your hands get on the bulb it will heat that area up and crack the bulb.

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 09:25   #185
VenomS40

Thanks for the advice, Just like normal bulbs then when it comes to touching them lol.

I've still got my DRL activated so after a good drive that should do them some good... I hope they aren't too yellow as I want a nice OEM look, not sure what Volvo use as an OEM bulb if its a 4300k or 5000k? either way thats what I was told that these are the two OEM colours.

Speaking of yellow is it possible to get a yellow HID kit? I want something thats retro/old school French/Japanese car lights. I want some nice yellow lights for my Evo

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 09:46   #186
PeteB1
VOC Member

Quote:
I want to get this kit but the lowest they go is 5000k bulbs. Where is the bet place to get other bulbs from please and are all bulbs compatable with other kits? I'm after a 4300k bulb.
My plan is to get the same kit but add for a little extra outlay:

A set of D2S/R connectors and

some D2S/R to H7 base convertors

One can then use proper D2S/R bulbs and therefore have access to the entire range of xenon bulbs rather than just the limited prebased H7 ones supplied with/for these aftermarket kits.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 10:01   #187
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB1 View Post
My plan is to get the same kit but add for a little extra outlay:

One can then use proper D2S/R bulbs and therefore have access to the entire range of xenon bulbs rather than just the limited prebased H7 ones supplied with/for these aftermarket kits.
Can you source the H7 to D2R adapter from the UK?

Also where are you getting your bulbs from?

Been thinking about going down this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomS40;
Speaking of yellow is it possible to get a yellow HID kit? I want something thats retro/old school French/Japanese car lights. I want some nice yellow lights for my Evo
You can go as low as 4100k which is about the same as Halogen. It is a more pure yellow than say a halogen.You'd know what I mean if you see one. Been trying to find a picture with no luck.

Old Oct 25th, 2012, 11:52   #188
PeteB1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
Can you source the H7 to D2R adapter from the UK?

Also where are you getting your bulbs from?

Been thinking about going down this route.
There's this UK one, lots of other bits there too.

Re bulbs, then HIDS4U and many other online suppliers stock the D2S/R range just as they do the H7 halogens.

For setting up purposes, I was going to get a couple of D2R cheapo's off e-bay, check it all works as it should, especially the correct positioning of the D2R bulb with the H7 base regarding satisfactory alignment and beam pattern. If all Ok, then I would get a set of 4300/5000k Philips or Osram bulbs to install for normal use. The cheapo's can then be kept as emergency spares.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 17:31   #189
VenomS40

Well If I'm not happy then can always get some other bulbs at a later date...?

Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 22:40   #190
Jon TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB1 View Post
There's this UK one, lots of other bits there too.

Re bulbs, then HIDS4U and many other online suppliers stock the D2S/R range just as they do the H7 halogens.

For setting up purposes, I was going to get a couple of D2R cheapo's off e-bay, check it all works as it should, especially the correct positioning of the D2R bulb with the H7 base regarding satisfactory alignment and beam pattern. If all Ok, then I would get a set of 4300/5000k Philips or Osram bulbs to install for normal use. The cheapo's can then be kept as emergency spares.
This is exactly how I'm going to convert mine.
I have (from a previous conversion) D2S 4300K burners (bulbs to you & me!), D2S/H7 adapters from HID Origin, D2S connectors, 35W Ultimate ballasts from HIDS4U.
Ballasts will be earthed direct to car chassis instead of going through the lighting circuit.
Jon TDI is offline   Reply With Quote