Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manual Turbo Intercooler estate MPG...what to realistically

Views : 2916

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 23:14   #41
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
I wish I had taken pics, it would have made for some amusing viewing for all!
I was thinking more along the lines of small claims court for the money you were out in terms of train fares, lost earnings from tonights gig and so on Phil.

I find it hard to believe he knew nothing about red blocks, even with basic "under bonnet knowledge" it's fairly obvious something isn't right if various hoses, pipes and tubes are blcoked off with screws, bolts and similar. Even allowing that, it doesn't excuse the fact it sounded like a metal bucket of spanners inside a washing machine, marked its territory like the winner at Crufts and looked like the Crufts loser had been eating the inside!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 00:28   #42
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Are you using US or UK gallons down under?
UK.

The factory information posted above was closer to the truth. Remembering, those figures are the result of testing done under optimum conditions, so real world you could typically take another 10% off.

Like I said, fuel economy is not the best reason for buying or owning a car that has been around a quarter century or longer. The real world difference between 22 and 28 mpg ( or even wider) is pretty small in the total cost of vehicle ownership
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 09:57   #43
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
UK.

The factory information posted above was closer to the truth. Remembering, those figures are the result of testing done under optimum conditions, so real world you could typically take another 10% off.

Like I said, fuel economy is not the best reason for buying or owning a car that has been around a quarter century or longer. The real world difference between 22 and 28 mpg ( or even wider) is pretty small in the total cost of vehicle ownership
The other thing often forgotten about the official tests Ash is they are done with a car straight off the production line. In other words, the engine is still tight, not yet run in properly and so frictional losses are at their highest in the life of the engine. Also compression will be lower as the bores/rings/pistons won't have yet found their "best" seal reducing efficiency further.

As such, it could reasonably be argued that in the real world you could add 10% to those economy figures. I've had many cars that have regularly given better figures on average than the official tests say they're capable of giving. I've also had many cars that struggle to reach the worst economy figures, even with nothing wrong, no leaks and so on.

What i'm saying is that, just like the independent website you linked to, the "official" figures are no more than a guide. To paraphrase the disclaimer that used to appear at the bottom of the fuel consumption figures, it isn't a guarantee of a particular cars performance or economy and many other factors influence the economy a particular owner will get such as driving style, altitude, fuel quality, servicing and so on.

As for the difference between 22 and 28mpg, when petrol is £1.43/L, or about (rough barely awake mental arithmetic) £6.50/gall on a 140 mile round trip, the latter would cost £32.50, the former (22mpg) would cost about £43 for the same journey. Then it begins to add up fairly quickly!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 11:26   #44
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The other thing often forgotten about the official tests Ash is they are done with a car straight off the production line.
Sorry, but no they're not. From memory, cars used in the current EU emissions and fuel consumption tests must have done a minimum/maximum of 1000/10000 km- but it's been 3-4 years since I did emissions testing so don't take the number as gospel
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 11:40   #45
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Sorry, but no they're not. From memory, cars used in the current EU emissions and fuel consumption tests must have done a minimum/maximum of 1000/10000 km- but it's been 3-4 years since I did emissions testing so don't take the number as gospel
They may be now Jim but i'm fairly sure when the 7/9xx were made, they were straight off the production line. However, there was so much of a "black art" cloaking fuel consumption testing back then with much less rigorous emissions testing that it is difficult to be sure. There were even rumours that the car "straight off the production line" was "diverted" through the rolling road tuning to give the best economy figures possible.

True, false, i don't really know for sure but it was all pre-Dieselgate so who knows what tricks the manufacturers pulled 25-30 years ago to get "reasonable" economy figures?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 02:56   #46
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Also in a manual you say down hill at idle is better than leaving it in gear with no acceleration is better? Surely not as in gear the wheels are driving the engine, on my fabia if I went downhill in neutral the mpg readout would be about 80+mpg where as in gear it would go to infinite.
I said a slight hill. In neutral with warm transmission you will coast a long way.

If you coast with partially open throttle you will get alot less instant mpg. This is where the mgt system is a bit crap and I can see it on the meter. The mgt is still injecting fuel and running the engine, and not lean/closed loop mode like idle, so its quite rich.
If the hill is steep enough and you close the throttle you will get fuel cut (assuming you start above 2000rpm), but it will slow the car alot more than neutral. In my experience maintaining momentum is much more valuable than infinite mpg against 100-200mpg (ie the fuel use is much the same 0 or very little, but alot of momentum is preserved).

Alot of the time fuel cut just doesn't happen, its very conservative and I can't see why. Modern engines are more often in fuel cut. The LH2.4 has to be above 2000rpm when the throttle is closed for it to happen, and there doesn't seem to be a reason for that. Maybe its a MAP system verses MAF system benefit (faster response).

Last edited by TonyS9; Dec 24th, 2018 at 03:03.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 04:45   #47
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
As for the difference between 22 and 28mpg, when petrol is £1.43/L, or about (rough barely awake mental arithmetic) £6.50/gall on a 140 mile round trip, the latter would cost £32.50, the former (22mpg) would cost about £43 for the same journey. Then it begins to add up fairly quickly!
Yeah, but compared to total cost of ownership, its not big. Servicing, insurance, storage, and opportunity costs all make even a 25% difference in fuel consumption pale into insignificance.

I've no idea what property costs are where you are, but here in Auckland we just cracked the $1m NZD average house price. If we assume a car takes up about 20m2 and the average house in NZ atm is about 160m2, the garage is around 1/8 of the building, and represents about the same % of land coverage. So each car is occupying about 80k worth of my home. Interest rates at 5% make that a $4000 a year cost.

^both convoluted and simplistic, but you get the picture I'm sure. Fuel, as a part of vehicle ownership and operation, is cheap.

Enough o/t - Merry Christmas everyone - its p*ssing down over here with some flooding and stuff going on. Not the blissful summer Christmas we tell all you northern hemisphere types about, there will be no cricket on the beach tomorrow!
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 10:00   #48
SteveP
300 Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Everyone says "you won't see 30mpg put of a 360" well in my 1984 360 GLE carb I managed 39mpg on a journey to Bicester and back, again calculated fill up to fill up.
It's a fairly accurate statement if you're talking about injected 360's. Carbed cars are better on longer runs once warmed up due to the economy cams/carbs and taller final drive ratio. My GLS has a 3.27 ratio diff and the GLT a 3.64 which makes it a bit buzzy on the motorway. The GLS ought to make a decent motorway cruiser once I reassemble it!!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 11:11   #49
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
It's a fairly accurate statement if you're talking about injected 360's. Carbed cars are better on longer runs once warmed up due to the economy cams/carbs and taller final drive ratio. My GLS has a 3.27 ratio diff and the GLT a 3.64 which makes it a bit buzzy on the motorway. The GLS ought to make a decent motorway cruiser once I reassemble it!!
How is that coming along anyway? Still playing with the fuel tank?
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 12:08   #50
TonyS9
Premier Member

Well I had the 360 GLE (87 high compression) aswell (and 10 other 300 models) and it never did more than about 28, but then I would do 70/80 on the motorway in those days.

Did you keep the speed low?
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote