Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

[5-cylinder D4] is the boost pressure sensor broken?

Views : 2672

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2020, 20:54   #1
flanker711

Default [5-cylinder D4] is the boost pressure sensor broken?

Hi Volvo bros:

I have a MY2012 5-cylinder V60 D4 1984cc FWD. Current milleage is ~120000KM.

The emission check light turned on two weeks ago. But there's no warning message shown up on the console,

I used Car Scanner App and a ODB2 bluetooth dangle to read out the error codes. There're two errors:
- P0073 Ambient Air Temperature out of range (reading is -40). This should be due to a recent incident damaging the left mirror housing.
- P1407 EGR no flow detected.

The non-continuous sensor has an error:
EGR Monitor Bank 1 MID$31 TID$90 Failed. Its values is 100.0064%, while the good range is 0%-90%.

Searching through the Internet, it seems likely to be a problem related to boost pressure sensor (near the intercooler).

I don't have a VIDA DICE for more professional diagnosis. As it seems not be a critical problem, I just want to get some data from ODB2 for more analysis.

So far the following groups parameters are monitored:
1) EGR command. EGR position sensor, EGR error.
2) DPF soot, DPF temperature, DPF pressure.
3) MAP, baro pressure, boost pressure sensor, boot pressure sensor desired value.

screenshots attached:

EGR parameters seem ok. EGR command changes regularly and EGR position adapts accordingly, EGR error is always small.
DPF parameters look ok too. There's soot burning when temperature is high enough. But DPF pressure always become 255hpa when engine is stopped by start-stop.

What puzzles me is the pressure related readings. At my location, baro pressure reading is about 96kpa.
- At 0 rpm: MAP 95kpa, boost pressure desired 109.1kpa, boost pressure 111kpa
- At idle: MAP 95kpa, boost pressure desired 103.1kpa, boost pressure 110.2kpa
- At crusing: MAP 129kpa, boost pressure desired 126.5kpa, boost pressure 152.4kpa

It seems boost pressure reading is always higher than MAP/desired. The error is higher when pressure is higher.

And in my understanding, MAP value should be close to boost pressure desired and boost pressure in steady state. (Could someone confirm on this?)

If this OBD2 reading is trustful, can it be conclused the boost pressure sensor is faulty (reading too high)

Thanks in advance!

Felix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0rpm.jpg (49.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg idle.jpg (51.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2500rpm_crusing.jpg (54.4 KB, 20 views)
flanker711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 10:57   #2
piotrek

I think your conclusion is correct: boost pressure sensor is reading too high.

I my 5-cylinder D4 1984cc FWD engine boost pressure always follows the desired boost/MAP, always with a slight delay. Boost pressure will never be higher than desired boost (except for a split second when I let off the throttle - then desired boost is momentarily lower than boost pressure, due to the same slight delay as when accelerating).

My values: ignition on, idle, accelerating, screens in Car Scanner ELM OBD2.

I also get DPF pressure 255hpa with engine off, seems normal (last screen).
Attached Images
File Type: png ignition ON.png (48.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: png idle.png (70.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: png 190.png (73.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: png 221.png (71.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: png 255.png (68.2 KB, 25 views)
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piotrek For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 20:33   #3
flanker711

Thumbs up

Thanks piotrek! Your screenshots are really good references!

I will try cleaning / replacing the boost pressure sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrek View Post
I think your conclusion is correct: boost pressure sensor is reading too high.

I my 5-cylinder D4 1984cc FWD engine boost pressure always follows the desired boost/MAP, always with a slight delay. Boost pressure will never be higher than desired boost (except for a split second when I let off the throttle - then desired boost is momentarily lower than boost pressure, due to the same slight delay as when accelerating).

My values: ignition on, idle, accelerating, screens in Car Scanner ELM OBD2.

I also get DPF pressure 255hpa with engine off, seems normal (last screen).
flanker711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 12:36   #4
barry4913

Default 2012 Volvo V 60. Similar issues

Hi

I have a 2012 V60 with only 39,000 miles on. Fault codes P023400 and P140700 showing. Indicated EGR valve issues but I believe its more likely a sensor fault. I've cleaned the MAP Sensor at the front of the engine which was badly sooted up and the Engine light stayed off for 2 weeks. However it has reappeared and I want to check the Boost Pressure sensor switch as you mention but I cant locate it. Could either of you give me some directions Please.

Thanks.

Barry
barry4913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 20:09   #5
Mad Mark

Default Boost sensor location

Hi did you find the boost sensor , if not you can see it on the right hand side below the light on the edge of intercooler , tight to get out if you have big hands

Last edited by Mad Mark; Apr 12th, 2021 at 20:31.
Mad Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 20:17   #6
Mad Mark

Did a new boost sensor cure the problem please ?
Mad Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 14:08   #7
pacmyc

I'd wonder as well.. I have the same problem and it would be really nice to know your outcome of the problem.. Also, can you replace it from top or from below? I looked in Vida, and it seems volvo recommends removing the cooler in order to access it..
pacmyc is offline   Reply With Quote