Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weird AUX noise?

Views : 2468

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2021, 16:55   #11
boombox

Thanks Swiss!

So today I had an hour to myself (unusual!) so I slid back the centre console on its track and unclipped two of the looms. One was almost 100% definitely the aux port loom as I traced the wire back from the very close at hand port, the other I wasn't sure but I unclipped it anyway. Two of the looms I could not immediately see how to unclip and my time ran out.

Anyway of the two looms I DID unplug, neither stopped the clicking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6107.JPG (332.6 KB, 18 views)
boombox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 14:57   #12
boombox

Don't know if this thickens the plot - just noticed my left (passenger) door speaker isn't working. Could this cause this symptom? Well, the tweeter seems to be working (VERY very thin sound if I 'balance out my driver side speakers)' but not the main speaker. I guess I have to test the rear door speakers too...
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 16:00   #13
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Don't know if this thickens the plot - just noticed my left (passenger) door speaker isn't working. Could this cause this symptom? Well, the tweeter seems to be working (VERY very thin sound if I 'balance out my driver side speakers)' but not the main speaker. I guess I have to test the rear door speakers too...
Use FADER and BLAANCE to test each channel

The tweeter and woofer are in parallel, on the same wire.

99% of the time if the tweeter works and the woofer does not, then the woofer is blown (due to too high volume, too high bass for too long...).
Replace it.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 19:10   #14
boombox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Use FADER and BALANCE to test each channel
Thanks, I had done, and am pretty sure I've isolated the problem to the passenger's door woofer:
Quote:
If I balance out my driver side speakers...
But I am curious if that could cause the issue I'm hearing with the aux clicking? As you can see from the below, I've made a start diagnosing - but couldn't see how to disconnect some of the looms.

Quote:
[...] I slid back the centre console on its track and unclipped two of the looms. One was almost 100% definitely the aux port loom as I traced the wire back from the very close at hand port, the other I wasn't sure but I unclipped it anyway. Two of the looms I could not immediately see how to unclip and my time ran out. Anyway of the two looms I DID unplug, neither stopped the clicking.
Thanks Swiss!
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 15:07   #15
boombox

Sorry to revive this yet again. I guess this question is still outstanding

Could a broken speaker in the passenger door be the reason for the weird clicking noise? Could it count as a "open ended cable" ?
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 21:53   #16
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Only if it was shorting to ground.
You you'd hear it on every input.

Audio amps have a BTL output and any short to ground will overload the output stages. Most amps protect themselves these days instead of going BANG! (like they used to when I was young...)
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 12:54   #17
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

I had to look it up - I must be of an age with Swiss, I remember amps going BANG (a lot)

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip...42674-btl.html

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 05:10   #18
xyphur

Just throwing my name in here. I have this issue as well. Sound only occurs on AUX, can be directly controlled with the volume dial, seems to be less pronounced with my phone plugged into AUX (but still there). No change if engine is running or not. Tried turning on/off all other electrical loads and accessories I could think of, but it remains.

2007 V8 with Dynaudio, no subwoofer option, no DVD/RSE/RTI. It does have rear seat headphone sockets though. I haven't tested these (yet?).

I've tried removing and cleaning the AUX jack (both internally and on the harness plug on the back) as well as soaking it in isopropyl alcohol for an hour while I wrapped parts of the center console trim. No change.

Would love to figure this out as I plan on ordering a Legend headunit from the guy on Facebook, and it entirely hinges on the AUX input of the factory system (since the electronics remain in place and are left set to AUX perpetually).
xyphur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xyphur For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 22:48   #19
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Please post more info on the Legend Unit

Sounds interesting

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 11:28   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Anyone know what this really odd noise is when I switch to AUX?

It's not like a ground hum

Link here -

Thank you!
You should have the device volume up higher and the AUX volume in the console lowish ..