Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 PHEV D6, Hybrid System Malfunction

Views : 5538

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2021, 11:20   #1
JeffCooper63

Default V60 PHEV D6, Hybrid System Malfunction

Yetsreday, just before setting out for my wifes first vaccine shot (!) I got the infamous Hybrid System Malfunction error message. Car worked fine in all modes, and message was erased with the reset button. When we got home, I connected up my icarsoft i906 code reader, and got the stored code C105700, which is a Level 1 Isolation fault apparently - again this DTC was erased without any problems.

Googling this implies it could be something to do with the ISG or the A/C pump, so I rang Volvo, and a dealer, but neither would say wether the "we'll replace it if we need to free" atitude that has been seen in the past is still valid.

So what I'd like to know is wether anyone else has seen this code appear, possibly multiple times, but found that it actually never made any jot of difference to the car itself !!
JeffCooper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 12:35   #2
Adrian888

I had this last weekend. The car had a battery showing 21 miles left in it yet wouldn’t run in pure and in hybrid setting used the engine all the time. And, bizarrely, the mileage fell to 18miles over a 15 mile journey even though not being used. Not yet had chance to speak to dealer but i can say i wish i had never bought this car.
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 12:43   #3
JeffCooper63

Ah, thats a bit different - it's a known quirk of the car - in theory, you just stop, turn everything off and wait for a couple of minutes, after which it should behave normally. That's just a weird thing once in a while, and not to be concerned about luckily for you.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 12:57   #4
Adrian888

Thanks, i had the aircon compressor replaced at purchase (after the dealer told me it had been and yet clearly had not) and a replacement 12v battery to address other glitches. On more than one occasion it wouldnt do anything, no power in any settings. I love the concept, just not the execution of it.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 13:40   #5
JeffCooper63

It's strange - I don't know what year yours is (?) but apart from a couple of occasions with the same stuck in engine mode glitches, and with this error message maybe appearing a couple of times, I've found the car to be brilliant - so much so that I've spent money upgrading it - front wide angle and rear cameras, front parking sensors, RTTI, swapping out the windows for factory tints etc - planning to do long distance european road trips in theory - of course the world decided to stop us doing that !!!
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 15:33   #6
Adrian888

2016 however it is R Design spec with additional options specced by the previous owner so apart from a front camera wants for very little. It is a fabulous mile muncher, drove to Prague last summer and it sits rock steady at 100mph on the de restricted autobahns and still giving over 40mpg. Putting aside reliability and unimpressive dealers the car is comfortable, great seats, good sound system, tows our caravan very well (better than previous Passat Alltrack) but numb steering inhibits driving on the twisty bits and the brakes, while powerful, lack any feel.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 09:23   #7
piotrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCooper63 View Post
I got the infamous Hybrid System Malfunction error message. Car worked fine in all modes, and message was erased with the reset button. When we got home, I connected up my icarsoft i906 code reader, and got the stored code C105700, which is a Level 1 Isolation fault apparently - again this DTC was erased without any problems.
AC compressor in D6 is prone to fail.

Find an elm327 adapter and use Car Scanner ELM Obd2 app

select Volvo V60 D6 profile, then compare:
AC compressor requested vs. actual status, requested vs. actual speed, requested vs actual power consumption
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piotrek For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 12:30   #8
jeffcooper

Ok, thanks for the above - I tried it and ran into a slight problem, which hopefully you may be able to throw some more light onto.

Basically, I have a viecar connector, as shown on the carscanner adapters page, and it will talk using the EOBD/OBD connection profile, but won't connect to the car ECU using the V60 PHEV profile - I'm assuming it's a protocl problem, but am hoping that might trigger a memory of something !!

cheers

ps, don't know how i logged in as a different user, but it is me !!
jeffcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 16:27   #9
JeffCooper63

Well after a lot of searching/reading on that dutch forum, I discovered one sentence someone had posted that coincided exactly with my issue - namely that the level 1 isolation fault can be issued whilst pre-conditioning with the car plugged in after a full charge. I think this is the second time I've seen the message, and I'm pretty certain that the first time was straight after a pre-condition as well. SO I'm sort of less worried.
Having said that, I also read that for cars that haven't had their AC pump changed under the original warranty, Volvo aren't changing the pump under a 100% goodwill system, so I'm left, having found out that both my ISG and AC haven't been changed according to the Volvo IT systems, worrying about them failing.
So I'd really like to get a feel for how likely those items are to fail - does anyone have any data on this ?
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 07:34   #10
Adrian888

The AC compressor failure is common. Mine had it on purchase last year and eventually got the lying Volvo dealer (claimed it had been repaired when a blind man on a galloping horse could see and feel it hadn’t) to change it at their cost.