Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nearly About to Buy a V40

Views : 4849

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2021, 21:54   #21
steV50

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
But it seems the more I read, the more I should stick with petrol. What's the T2 engine like?
Personally I find the T2 is fine for everyday driving. The T3 is more powerful so probably best to try both if you can and compare them. Not had any issues so far with my T2 in nearly five years and 54K miles. My car averages 40mpg and on a longer cross country run I can get nearer to 50mpg.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 15:03   #22
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

The T2 is a small turbo petrol. As such it has low down torque similar to a diesel. As I said earlier it really only suffers in mid speed acceleration.

For everyday driving it is plenty, smooth, quiet and whilst no good for 'race you off the traffic lights' style of driving it is nippy enough. My wife can get out from busy junctions easily.

If you like a more progressive style then the T3 would probably suit you better.
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 19:57   #23
anotheruser

So I think it's boiling down to these two:

Black - Diesel - 42,000 - 2016 - £0 tax - D3 (Momentum) - £9500
It has the thors hammer headlights so I guess this is the face-lift version?

Grey - Diesel - 43,000 - 2017 - £unknown - D3 (R Design) - £11,000
The only real reason I want the R design is because of the cool looking car picture on the dash.

Both are 2L engines. Decided perhaps as I travel 60 miles round trip to work then a diesel would be better? Apart from a few bits here and there, is there anything inheritly different between the R-Design and Momentum?

I think the first one will clinch it though. Nearly £2k cheaper and £0 Road tax (while not that important, still a saving).
Unless I can find a grey one that sits around the same sort of spec that isn't that far away from Leicester that is! But black will do.
anotheruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 21:17   #24
steV50

If the 2016 Momentum has thors hammer lights then yes it will be a 2017 model year facelift car.

The only differences between the Momentum and the R Design are cosmetic.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 10:44   #25
RS3100

The Momentum has an analogue DIM as standard. The R-Design has a TFT DIM.

Is that what you mean by the car picture on the dash - the TFT start-up logo?

The Momentum has a hidden exhaust tailpipe. R-Design has twin tailpipes.

I much prefer the Momentum, less "blingy", more sensible wheel/tyre size. I prefer the more practical Momentum upholstery, but YMMV. I got the dealer to throw in rear parking sensors on mine, they weren't fitted as standard on 2017 Momentum at least. The correct Volvo parking sensor kit displays a range graphic on the centre screen when reversing. Not an easy car to reverse without them. It's not easy to judge the rear of the car and it's almosat certain you will eventually reverse into something without them. Even the sales staff were reluctant to reverse them into spaces on the forecourt without assistance when I was there.

If you want the TFT DIM, I've seen some dealers offering to fit for around £400 recently. It used to be around £1K.

I bought a used one from a national breakers via ebay and fitted it using the VDash DIM swap wizard. You can choose between several screen skins with VDash. I have the elegance theme, which may be the car picture you are referring to.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 13:28   #26
anotheruser

That's amazing!
So I can swap the display if needs be in the future? Is it a straight swap or are there any modifications I need to make?

Worried I have spent too much though. But the car was about right according to Auto Trader's "what's it worth" calculator. Should have asked for a full tank of fuel though A notice in the sales place said they can only take credit cards up to £500, so I said I'd probably have to call back when I've looked at finances. Turns out they could actually do up to £3000, which is £2000 less than I wanted to put on the card but just means the bank will be low in cash flow for some time.

I really appreciate all the advice everyone has given though. Brilliant community!

Last edited by anotheruser; Jan 29th, 2021 at 14:57.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 13:59   #27
Thekilt

The other alternative is the Inscription. The Inscription has the TFT Display, full leather, and nicer tim around the car. on the T2 the exhaust is hidden, on the others i beleive they are twin tail pipes. I also prefer the wheels on the inscrption too.
Old Jan 31st, 2021, 21:17   #28
anotheruser

Just to round this up, I went for a 2016/66 plate (facelift version) D3. It's only Momentum Nav something or other but a massive upgrade for me in terms of tech.

Thanks all!
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 18:03   #29
Kulu21

Default V40 T2 Query

I am looking at a T2, I have looked at the thread; can anyone let me know how maneuverable it is in traffic? At the moment I have a 20 year old Peugeot 206 and I do like the way it fits into pretty small gaps. Because it's a 1.6 it's fairly nippy.

Edited to say it's a T2 [122] R Design Nav Plus 2016 (66 reg). Price £11,000, about 22k miles.
Kulu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 19:47   #30
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulu21 View Post
I am looking at a T2, I have looked at the thread; can anyone let me know how maneuverable it is in traffic? At the moment I have a 20 year old Peugeot 206 and I do like the way it fits into pretty small gaps. Because it's a 1.6 it's fairly nippy.

Edited to say it's a T2 [122] R Design Nav Plus 2016 (66 reg). Price £11,000, about 22k miles.
There aren't any Volvos of that era that have good turning circles. It will be "ok" but thats about it.