Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weird AUX noise?

Views : 2417

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 15:01   #1
boombox

Default Weird AUX noise?

Anyone know what this really odd noise is when I switch to AUX?

It's not like a ground hum

Link here -

Thank you!
boombox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 16:24   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Sounds like interference being picked up on the input. Check for a good ground connection on the 3.5mm AUX plug.

Check with an isolated device like an iPhone etc. that has no charger or anything else connected it to it. Does it still occur? If not, its noise induced by a ground loop and you'll need a ground loop isolator. I fitted one to my car. Cheap as chips on eBay.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 17:02   #3
boombox

Thanks. It's happening with no device connected to the aux input, HOWEVER you can hear the RSE DVD player when it's on aux, I don't know if this by design or not.

So you reckon a ground loop isolator is in my future?
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 07:25   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Thanks. It's happening with no device connected to the aux input, HOWEVER you can hear the RSE DVD player when it's on aux, I don't know if this by design or not.

So you reckon a ground loop isolator is in my future?
If nothing is connected then the RSE audio is switched through to the AUX input on the stereo

If the noise happens on the RSE audio, then likely bad switch contacts in the AUX socket (or AUX/RSE switch). Replace one or other depending n what you have.

Ground loop isolator is only for devices connected to the AUX input which are also being charged. Like my Bluetooth adapter, which is always powered on and always connected to AUX
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 09:28   #5
Farmer Joe

Mine does this too. Cable plugged in but no device, hums like mad. Shuts up as soon as I plug my phone in. Wouldn’t worry about it.
Farmer Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 10:49   #6
boombox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
switched through to the AUX input on the stereo
I've looked and looked and can't find an aux switch (to send DVD sound through to the stereo). I've looked in the 'transtunnel' where I CAN find the aux input socket but that's all there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Joe View Post
Mine does this too. Cable plugged in but no device, hums like mad. Shuts up as soon as I plug my phone in. Wouldn’t worry about it.
Do you also have the CRAZY clicking sound? It's not just the humming/whirring but the clicking that I've never heard before (have owned cars with ground loop problems before, for my sins )
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 11:27   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Joe View Post
Open ended cables on sensitive audio inputs ALWAYS pickup noise, on every stereo and sound system i have worked on in the last 35 years.

Don't leave open ended cables hanging around. Terminate them by plugging them into something, or disconnect them.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 11:36   #8
boombox

aha! So that explains why I don't have a switch...

Quote:
[...]However, plugging in any Aux-Cable into the AUX input disconnects the DVD player, and the AUX now plays whatever is plugged into the AUX port.
Once you realise this, it's easy to just unplug the AUX cable and then listen to the DVD. It's actually fun to listen whilst the rear seat passengers are watching the film.

On later models, Volvo stopped using an internal switch inside the AUX connector, and added a separate external AUX/RSE switch just in front of the AUX connector. So you could keep the AUX cable connected, and just flick the switch to go from AUX to RSE[...]
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 12:09   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Determine first where the noise is coming from: is it an open ended cable? Is it an earth loop? Is it a bad ground contact in the AUX connector? Is it a bad connection on the AUX loom connector? Or the DVD connector?

Does the noise happen when no connector is plugged in to the aux and no DVD is playing?
Does it happen When a DVD is playing? (put DVD into Pause mode to stop the audio, and just listen for the noise)
Find out when it happens, then you know where the noise will likely come from

If you want to replace parts blindly, do this:
Spray contact cleaner in the AUX socket and work it into the contacts
Spray contact cleaner into the AUX plug connector (you'll need to dismantle first) and mate the connector a few times
Unplug the DVD player and check if the sound changes
Unplug the AUX connector and see if the sound changes
Check for ground loops with Ohmmeter, connecting and disconnecting cable looms along the way
Check for cable loom abrasions especially on shields and grounds

Only once you have exhausted all the cable checks, have cleaned all the contacts, and sure that no ground loop exists, then start replacing parts. I suggest the AUX port first, as it suffers the most wear and tear.

noise problems are almost always ground issues: bad ground, no ground, or ground loop...
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 13:16   #10
boombox

Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Does the noise happen when no connector is plugged in to the aux and no DVD is playing? Does it happen When a DVD is playing?

Yes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
It's happening with no device connected to the aux input
So I guess first I could try disconnecting the Aux socket and see if the problem goes away?