Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how to buy good XC60 2008-2012?

Views : 1715

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2021, 11:40   #1
hewking

Default how to buy good XC60 2008-2012?

Hi Everybody

I am very happy owner of s60 D5 2002 and convinced my wife to buy XC60 which we are looking for now.
Could you please help me and advise on:
  • What are typical faults for XC60 2008-2012?
  • How to check geartronic transmission -can professional garage check the gearbox or only test drive can show faults?
  • how to check if 4x4 is still working
  • is there any error code reader i could buy to check the error codes myself?
  • How powerful are D5 2,4 engines in year range 2008-2012 i have seen huge difference 173-215?

And finally i nearly forgot - is there any way to check if mileage meter has been tampered with - some cars have really low mileage like 100k which is obviously suspicious.
Is there any way to check if the engine has been remapped?
hewking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 12:00   #2
laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewking View Post
Hi Everybody

I am very happy owner of s60 D5 2002 and convinced my wife to buy XC60 which we are looking for now.
  • How to check geartronic transmission -can professional garage check the gearbox or only test drive can show faults?
  • How powerful are D5 2,4 engines in year range 2008-2012 i have seen huge difference 173-215?

And finally i nearly forgot - is there any way to check if mileage meter has been tampered with - some cars have really low mileage like 100k which is obviously suspicious.
I can answer your last question as on the gov.uk website you can check past mot's on cars all you need is the registration number so that should give you an indication with regards to the mileage may not be a hundred percent accurate as obviously the first 3 years dont need a mot but if the mileage suddenly drops here is a link to the website
https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 13:25   #3
Easington
Master Member

Leaking windscreens can cause problems.

Automatic gearboxes sometimes show an error message if there's a fault, sometimes they won't. Try driving it around until warm, stop the car, place into neutral for a few seconds then move back into D - see if it jumps or is smooth.

Not sure of a good test of the 4x4 but not all XC60s were AWD.

D5 changed power depending on the age.

They do, like most Volvos appear to wear well though so it may have done 100k but looks less, unlike a couple of Jeeps I've viewed which had covered less than 50k and look wrecked inside.

Good luck
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 15:10   #4
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewking View Post
Hi Everybody

If memory serves me correctly there were two versions of the D5, both 2.4lt. The big difference between them is the Turbo Charging. One is aimed at economy and has a single turbo, the other is the high performance twin turbo version, and later on in its life had a further power increase.

As far as I remember the single turbo was only offered in the FWD version, and another distinguishing feature is this model only had one tailpipe.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 15:59   #5
Easington
Master Member

Anything badged as D5 is always AWD. The 2.4d FWD model is called a DRIVe.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 16:29   #6
Deck1ng
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easington View Post
Anything badged as D5 is always AWD. The 2.4d FWD model is called a DRIVe.
But my D5, AWD is also badged DRIVe.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 19:07   #7
silverfoxjw

Hi

I have had a S60D5 manual 2003 and now an XC60D5 2009 AWD Geartronic.

1st 2008 XC60's have a 185 BHP Engine single turbo, later in to 2009, that changed to a 205BHP Twin Turbo ( visual, look at the back of the car, if it has a single exhaust, its 185, if twin exhaust, its 205), around the "59" plate the 215 BHP turned up.

from an economy point of view, the 215BHP is the most economical.

Mileage check can be done on dvla web site, check old mot mileage history, gives a good idea if its been clocked,

Faults...mine has had a DPF temp sensor replaced since my ownership (very common) also a ABS sensor, all diagnosed with "i car soft 2" around £130

hope this helps, dont know anything about 2wd models, but i have also had 2 XC90's with D5 engines, i personally would stick with D5 bulletproof
good luck
silverfoxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverfoxjw For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 19:26   #8
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
Originally the DRIVe designation was used to denote the models in each range with the lowest CO2 and environmental impact. I think they were all diesel, manual with stop/start. Don't know how that fits with your car?
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 23:00   #9
Deck1ng
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
Originally the DRIVe designation was used to denote the models in each range with the lowest CO2 and environmental impact. I think they were all diesel, manual with stop/start. Don't know how that fits with your car?
I certainly have the stop/start facility and the ability to engage/disengage Eco drive, yes manual gear box.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 07:56   #10
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
Gotta love Parkers guide for it's accuracy......

"However, in mid-2009 a front-wheel drive version badged DRIVe was introduced which uses a 175bhp version of the 2.4D, but with considerably better fuel consumption (47mpg) and lower emissions, plus feels a little more responsive. Meanwhile the D5, which remains an all-wheel drive model, is upgraded to 215bhp offering quicker performance."