Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D24T cold start revs

Views : 1346

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2011, 15:26   #1
Galaxie390

Default D24T cold start revs

Hi Folks,

My '91 D24T auto estate has been running well for ages, but I've noticed over the last few days when it's started from cold the revs are at the normal hot idle speed of about 700-750 and the engine seems to be 'choked'. Then after a few seconds running (maybe 5-7) it clears it's 'throat' and the revs pickup to the normal cold start revs of approx 1000. It drives as normal......slow...lol!

The cold start device appears to work ok.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas where I can start on this one?

Cheers,

Rich
Galaxie390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 12:58   #2
ian2000t
Premier Member

When was the last time you replaced all glowplugs? When I had mine it used to start a bit low on idle and splutter and hunt around the revs a bit. After about 10 seconds the revs would pick up as the idle smoothed out.

Changed glowplugs 4,5,6 (the ones no one changes) and it was much better.

Also - could be injectors getting clogged up - try an injector cleaner. Not running SVO/WVO are you? Mine hunts on the revs for 5-10 seconds when starting from cold running 50/50 on SVO/Diesel.

1990 Volvo 760 GLE D24TIC ZF22 - 16psi, more fuel, Monark 293 nozzles, 40mm lower, Bilstein TCs, 24/19 ARBs, full Polybushed front, H&R spacers, 17" Titans. Running Veg oil/petrol mix.
Past: 1988 Volvo 740 B230E M46, 1991 Volvo 940 B230FB M47
ian2000t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 15:19   #3
Galaxie390

Hi Ian2000t,

Thanks for the reply. It got 6 new glow plugs (Bosch duraterm) about 8 months ago.

Lol..it took best part of 3 hours on a freezing, snowy day. The back 3 took the guts of 2.5 hours, mainly because I kept dropping the stupid things. Wouldn't be in a rush to do it again!

It's funny you mention SVO. I did run in on SVO for a quite a while about 2 years ago, but gave up as I couldn't get around the Revenue Commissioners red tape to pay the fuel duty (There is no allowance for private use here in Ireland and the fines are heavy!)
The start is like it did when on SVO, except it does idle smoothly just at about 600rpm rather than 1000rpm 'on choke' as it were.

I'll try the injector cleaner.

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited by Galaxie390; Sep 13th, 2011 at 15:23.
Galaxie390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 16:38   #4
ian2000t
Premier Member

I'd hope the glowplugs last longer than that. If you disconnected the busbar (I know that's half of the mission anyway) I think you can check their resistance to see if they are still working ok.

Yeh, the 2,500 ltrs allowance was brought in a few years ago for SVO/WVO here in UK. The price of SVO is more than diesel most of the time though, but I managed to get 100 ltrs Sunflower Oil through a Tesco Online offer for 70p/ltr so I'm just working my way through that at the moment. Looking to get hold of some WVO to filter/de-water.

I've read that if you change your fuel filter (have you done this recently?) that you should fill the new one with ATF fluid (non-synthetic) when you refit it to give the injectors a good clean. The car will start and run on it fine, and if you leave it running for a bit the diesel will dilute it enough so when you drive off it will drive as normal. Cheaper than injector cleaner...

1990 Volvo 760 GLE D24TIC ZF22 - 16psi, more fuel, Monark 293 nozzles, 40mm lower, Bilstein TCs, 24/19 ARBs, full Polybushed front, H&R spacers, 17" Titans. Running Veg oil/petrol mix.
Past: 1988 Volvo 740 B230E M46, 1991 Volvo 940 B230FB M47
ian2000t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d24, revs