Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Deadlocked out

Views : 2867

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2019, 23:20   #1
Ian11

Default Deadlocked out

Hi
My 2004 XC70 has deadlocked me out. I have the key and fob but neither will unlock it. Interior lights go on and off with fob but it will not unlock. Week old battery in car and I’ve tried a new battery in the fob. How can I get in without breaking a window. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Ian11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 00:55   #2
oragex
Premier Member

Some early XC70 had a trunk lock under a small black plastic cap, but your 2004 most likely doesn't. Try calling some road assistance. They know how to pull on the door and reach the handle from inside. Once opened, just lower the window and bend back the door frame so it stays aligned as before.
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 02:38   #3
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Some early XC70 had a trunk lock under a small black plastic cap, but your 2004 most likely doesn't. Try calling some road assistance. They know how to pull on the door and reach the handle from inside. Once opened, just lower the window and bend back the door frame so it stays aligned as before.
If its deadlocked, it wont open from the inside will it? thats the whole idea of deadlocking, if windows is broken, they still cannot open the doors.....
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 03:56   #4
Ian11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
If its deadlocked, it wont open from the inside will it? thats the whole idea of deadlocking, if windows is broken, they still cannot open the doors.....
So does that mean it can never be unlocked? Will the central locking button in the door unlock the deadlocks?
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 04:06   #5
Bashy
Aged Member

Now that im not sure, i would be surprised if it did else someone could break the window and get in still, but there must be a way for safety reasons in case you get locked in the car by some malfunction (such as yours)...

Bare in mind, i am only basing my opinion on how deadlocking is supposed to work. Your issue is quite unique, I wonder if there is a code inputted using the to unlock, example, insert key, turn to lock once, unlock twice, lock three times, then unlock, that is just an example of how some cars (poss rover)

I assume youve tried the passenger side access with the key?
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 04:47   #6
Ian11

Could an "alarm system service " issue have drained the battery and if so will that mean there is not enough power to unlock the dreadlocks, although there is enough to turn interior lights on and off?
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 06:30   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian11 View Post
Could an "alarm system service " issue have drained the battery and if so will that mean there is not enough power to unlock the dreadlocks, although there is enough to turn interior lights on and off?
Sounds feasible....
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 07:25   #8
reggit
Premier Member

If it’s a 7 seater there will be a hidden lock in the tailgate.

Using the key in the drivers door lock should release the deadlock and unlock that door. Is the lock seized or does it turn?
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 07:53   #9
Ian11

The key locks and unlocks the door and turns interior lights on but the deadlocks remain locked on all doors. No lock in back door.
I’ve tried feeding power to it via the starter lead but no difference. Can’t into bonnet to get in there either.
What now?
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 07:53   #10
petey
Master Member

Is there any noise from any of the solenoids? If they do make a noise, do they make a noise both locking and unlocking? Is there a second noise about 2 minutes after the first when locking? Does the alarm light come on on the dash? What happens when you turn the key in the door lock? Does turning the key make the interior light come or off? Does the petrol flap unlock? If it does, does it lock again after ten minutes? Does the yellow button on the key fob illuminate the side lights at a reasonable brightness?

That should start to answer some of the questions as to what the car thinks it’s doing and you can form a plan thereafter. There’s little point smashing windows at this stage, you’ll be forever picking glass out of your car, and I mean forever and there might yet be a way to convince the door barrel to let you in.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petey For This Useful Post: