Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 V50 2.0d Wipers Not Working

Views : 431

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2019, 13:08   #1
SimonP2

Default 2008 V50 2.0d Wipers Not Working

Hi All,
I've had the car a couple of months now and worked through some minor issues with the help of this forum - Thanks!

On Wednesday, raining and having stood for a few days I started the car, switched the wipers on and nothing happened.
No front wipers in any position
Washers work fine
Rear wiper works fine

I have read all the posts that I can find and:
Charged the battery
Checked Fuse F17
Removed and taken apart the wiper motor - Looks OK Nothing obvious
Checked the voltage at the wiper motor plug +12v, Gnd, Signal (I assume) 5v
For good measure I replaced the Pollen Filter and in doing so removed and replaced all of the plugs from the CEM (?) and checked F69 which was OK.

I don't have PID lights.
What else should I check?

Thanks,
Simon
SimonP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 23:51   #2
SimonP2

I took the CEM out and cleaned the terminals - No improvement.

I have noticed that when I put it into reverse the rear wiper operates. It does this with the front wiper stalk in all positions so the logic is that the wipers are on (even when they are off)

I took the wiper motor out again this evening with the plan of buying another one, but I have checked the plug again and there is no signal. From what I have read it is on the LIN BUS and I should see 7volts - the LIN BUS is +1v to +12v so I assume this is an average of the signal.

Does anyone know where the other end of the wiper signal wire is so that I can check continuity?

To add to my woes I have tried my 3 OBD2 cables/tools and none work - Some standard! Is there any software that will give me any level of detail of what is talking to what? or do I need to fork out for a ripped off version of the Volvo software?
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 14:48   #3
brutusmotorsport

Default switch

could be switch faulty itself.
brutusmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 15:23   #4
SimonP2

I checked continuity of the signal wire and quickly found a break near the plug where it bends to join the harness. Now works perfectly.

Thanks Brutu, I discounted the switch partly because everything else on the stalk was working and the rear wiper worked when selecting reverse. The logic for this is front wipers on, so if the switch had failed providing "on" logic the front wipers would be on continuously.

The perhaps useful part for anyone else fault finding is that open circuit on the signal wire will make the rear wiper work when reverse is selected.