Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 engine what MPG do you get?

Views : 18595

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2010, 05:12   #41
xcJohn

MY08 XC70 AWD D5(185) - Averaging 37-42 mpg, depending on how the mood takes me, between fill ups. Had a 330d(E46) and would get 46 mpg regardless. Still, no longer a heathen.

I have now seen the error of my ways. Forgive me Gods of Volvo.
xcJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:03   #42
hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitch View Post
When my 53 plate D5 S80 is running right it regularily returns 50-55 mpg. However, it is currently doing 45mpg because number 5 injector is faulty. Anyone got an injector they want to sell me?
I am having the same problem. 2003 D5 V70.

Injector 5 has a "blow past" This injector was out and the copper washer replaced but the issue is still happening a few weeks later.

My fuel economy has dropped from 48-49 mpg down to about 41mpg (I do alot of driving in mountainous area but on motorway I get over 50mpg comfortably)

How do you fix a blow past on an injector and how costly is it????

Thanks
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 12:11   #43
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
I am having the same problem. 2003 D5 V70.

Injector 5 has a "blow past" This injector was out and the copper washer replaced but the issue is still happening a few weeks later.

My fuel economy has dropped from 48-49 mpg down to about 41mpg (I do alot of driving in mountainous area but on motorway I get over 50mpg comfortably)

How do you fix a blow past on an injector and how costly is it????

Thanks
when removing and refitting an injector you must change the spring Clamp , it looses its tension after one use ! also the main pressure pipe should be changed as it mates and work hardens individualy to each injector nipple .
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 13:26   #44
hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
when removing and refitting an injector you must change the spring Clamp , it looses its tension after one use ! also the main pressure pipe should be changed as it mates and work hardens individualy to each injector nipple .
Spring Clamp, pressure pipe?
We removed the injector and replaced the copper washer. then resassembled everything as was. purhaps thats what we did wrong. Thanks.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 15:45   #45
Mongoose

My '53' D5 S60 geartronic, HLM tune, 197 bhp, regularly gets upwards of 50mpg.
I drive to central Germany 5 times a year(family) so its mainly Mway with a few blasts on the unrestricted bits-trip comp said 17.9 mpg, GPS said 152 mph, running bigger intercooler, R front panel, ITG filter, Samco hoses.
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 21:23   #46
jamesthefish
Jamesvolvo

C70 D5 auto (all numbers are on the computer)
Drive carefully on a long run, 40mpg. You can get 42mpg if you try _really_ hard.
Normal driving, 35-36mpg
drive enthusiastically on back roads: 30mpg
jamesthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 15:41   #47
PhilGates

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Make of tyre dosn't appear to make much difference on the XC90 as far as it's possible to tell. Pressure does though. I run my Vredstien Wintrac 4 Extreme's at 40 lb. I get about 40 mpg which is considered very good for an XC90 which is the size of a small cottage. ;-)
Hi Roy

Can I pls check this MPG with you again? My 2010 D5 auto (on R19 tyres) never achieves more than 27mpg even on a motorway run. I'm not thrashing it either just concerned that something is wrong with the car.

Also are the figures you quote yours or what the dash is telling you?

Thx
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 16:59   #48
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilGates View Post
Hi Roy

Can I pls check this MPG with you again? My 2010 D5 auto (on R19 tyres) never achieves more than 27mpg even on a motorway run. I'm not thrashing it either just concerned that something is wrong with the car.

Also are the figures you quote yours or what the dash is telling you?

Thx
Sorry Phil but we have different cars. Mine has a different engine, transmission, chassis, etc. Also have done lots more miles which makes a big difference to any diesel. Give it 15,000 miles or so. They get better all the time so the more miles the better.

Volvo has a policy of continuous improvement so they change things on the XC90 all the time and it's been in production for eight years now.
Old Nov 26th, 2011, 17:42   #49
Bebo

Default Mpg

Hello
I Drive a 52 plate V70 D5 Auto 160 bhp. Have run for 4 years & done 150,000 miles, the car has 190,000 miles on the clock. It shows an average 52 Mpg on the OBC.
Bebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 01:20   #50
DiscoBoy

Wink

Hmm... just picked up on this thread.

I'm newly the owner of a C30 D5 '08 plate 6-speed. After driving an S60 '05 plate D5 for some time, and regularly hitting 49mpg measured (mainly country lanes/hills), I was hoping for the same economy - or even better! - in the C30.

Not the case! Although I'm yet to complete extended measuring on the C30 but the display is telling me I'm looking at 38mpg so far. I was putting it down to the 6-speed, and possibly my not being used to it: up and down hills I'm changing a lot more than I was in the S60.

Anyone any ideas? Cars done 47k (full Volvo service) so maybe that's something to do with it?

All said and done though, I do love driving it and am slowly learning to stop observing the mpg display on the daily run and enjoy the 5-pot!

Tags
d5 engine, fuel consumption, mpg