Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Also looking for a Amazon Estate

Views : 3432

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2011, 01:02   #11
Alf ista
Premier Member

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-Amazon-E...item2a0fc0e7e0
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 06:56   #12
Premature

Does anyone know what wheels these are on this car?

It does sound good, but I would have liked some pictures of the interior and the paint problems that the vendor mentions.
Premature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 07:33   #13
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Thanks. Looks a bit rough around the edges but maybe okay for someone looking for a bit of work...
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 21:23   #14
Colonel Froth

I figuratively bumped into that estate last summer while I was in mine and it did look nice, I was definitely running in second place. The paint looked really crisp and white, big stupid shiny wheels, my paint a faded and dirty beige, forgot the rear hub caps before I set off. Only thing I had going was being five or six inches lower.

They sometimes show up on carandclassic.co.uk but are normally expensive and foreign. Worth keeping an eye on though. How much work are you prepared to do, welding-wise?
Colonel Froth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 00:24   #15
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I ended up buying that one and had a good look underneath and around the car today and am very happy with the general condition. In general it is solid and only a few areas need attention, so am very happy. But what an effort to drive the car back up to Aberdeen and I will be putting a rebuilt B20E engine in as soon as I can. The car used over 10l of oil and leaked water so the system couldn't build pressure so it just ran hot in no time. The carbs weren't set up and was only running on 3 cylinders so we got it running okay before we left but as as soon as it got hot it ran terrible. After 80 miles the oil light came on and I had to fill it with oil and top up the water after about every 1 1/2hrs driving. At first we could get up to 70 not too bad but sitting on about 65 but by the time we got to Aberdeen we could only do about 55 flat out and 40 up any slight slope. Snapped the exhaust at Sterling and the RAC man did a patch job but the last 120 miles had a deafening roar through the cabin. But I did get to kip in the back one night in Carlisle on the way up and even though the engine ran like a dog the car put a huge smile on my face and is a cool old car and will be great with a new rebuilt engine. So now begins the getting things sorted as this will be my daily drive when going properly. Have a couple of shops to call tomorrow about the engine and will go see a bodyshop about a respray to see how many pennies I need to save. We may build the engine and just get the machining done but I did promise my wife it wouldn't be another project and any major work I would pay someone to do. Hopefully my shares will come good very soon and that will pay for things.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 13:56   #16
Derek UK
VOC Member

Good luck with it Mitch. eBay description says "engine rebuilt", something not right there maybe?
I've just bought one, drove it home Saturday. Mine doesn't have "cool" wheels, and I'm glad about that........... I'd be selling them to pay for the replacement engine and a standard set of wheels. Wide steels or Minilite types OK too.
Apologies for not getting back to you re the headrests. Looks as if you now have a car to fit them to maybe. I am still actually interested but the "new" estate already has a pair fitted, so they would still be for my hibernating Amazon. North to South logistics don't help!
New "Project" log for the estate?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 18:25   #17
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Hi Derek,

I asked about the engine before I bought it and he said he stripped it, honed and new rings but everything else was good so definitely not rebuilt so a bit of an exaggeration on his part. I did plan on doing the top half of the engine only but I don't trust what he's done so will do the bottom end as have most of the parts already. We (DJS) stripped the engine today and will get the machining done as soon as possible and rebuild the engine. Will need to chase up some parts like the twin SU linkages and a aluminium intake manifold that matches the E head so if anyone has one please get in touch.

I will be selling the wheels for sure as they are outrageous and ruin the ride. Thinking 17" torque thrust II might be a nice wheel for the car for me. I do like modern mags on old cars but I am from oz and we have different tastes with a lot of this sort of thing. I do have the original steel rims so it's not changing anything.

I'll do a thread on the Amazon and what I plan to do but I'm not doing any body mods with this car. Lowered with nice mags, good paint, bright work and a clean interior in good condition is what I want. Will do a few tweaks with the engine and want to get the few little bodywork issues resolved and make the car water tight etc. Megajolt the ignition, E head and twin SUs should make a nice usable engine I think.

Do you know what I would need with regard to the exhaust after the header?

No worries about the headrests, I may put them in as the seats could do with them on long journeys but they feel good around town the way they are so not 100% sure what I will do yet.

Do you plan on doing a thread on your estate?

Cheers,

Mitch
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 21:22   #18
Bristol603

Hi Mitch,

Good luck with the engine rebuild - it sounds like you have a clear plan. I am interested to read how it turns out.

I hadn't heard of Megajolt before. I googled it and it looks a good system. What advantage would it give over a more off-the-shelf programmable ignition like a 123Tune ( http://www.123ignition.nl/id/50.html )? I would think Megajolt would be less expensive and more flexible, but harder work to setup. I have only used the non-programmable 123.

Regards
Bristol603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 22:00   #19
Derek UK
VOC Member

"Do you plan on doing a thread on your estate?"

No current plans. Doesn't mean there aren't a few jobs, but nothing really newsworthy. Was trying to get a bit more life out of the horns today. Wiring is good and I changed the horn ring for one I'd redone. The one fitted would only toot if pressed at one position. Not the sort of testing you want to do in a quiet residential area on a sunny holiday afternoon. I think they are better, and likely better still with the engine running. Seat webbing to do but that's no problem. Currently only minor cosmetics planned. Cars done only about 400 miles since 2007. Bumpers are pretty dire. I have good replacement parts for the front with some extras but none for the back so any offers of back sections would be welcome. They must be v. GOOD!
It's a mid '67 reg 221 but has twin carbs and an OD. Dark blue code 96, red interior(fading type) with front headrests in a close but different red.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:25   #20
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
Do you know what I would need with regard to the exhaust after the header?
Mitch - does it have a twin downpipe exhaust manifold? If so, that's the ideal one, and a Simons sports system fits well (make sure that you order the estate version, as the over-the-axle pipe is different) as well as breathing better than the stock system.

Btw, if you need new rear mudflap brackets (unique to the estates, and only one side is still available), let me know, as a friend has a pair that he will be selling soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
It's a mid '67 reg 221 but has twin carbs and an OD. Dark blue code 96, red interior(fading type) with front headrests in a close but different red.
Didn't realise that you had an estate as well - that spec is identical to mine, even down to the slightly mismatched headrests!

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Apr 26th, 2011 at 01:27.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote