Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery problem?

Views : 49535

Replies : 126

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2011, 14:54   #41
Mike Jenvey

For Skelly - sorry, I was only told the specific item & that they up-dated the software. However, for the first time I left it to be checked, there were NO fault codes. If I remember correctly, the only fault codes for my second visit related to "spurious" warnings when the battery had got so flat.

As it happens, there still seems to a problem with my car. The other week, after a similar driving pattern as before, I stopped at a local supermarket, parked, & took key out of ignition. The car was still occupied, & the radio switched on.

After about 5 mins, the "Low Battery" warning message came on. When I got home, I put a batter charger on; it showed between 50%-70% status on the battery.

So, back to Volvo Cambridge for a longer period of observation (5 - 6 days at least), so they can see if there is anything drawing significant current.

Will report back; the car is not being dropped off until later in the month.
Mike Jenvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 12:20   #42
Clive Waring

Just jumped into my 1 year old XC60 after 30 days in the Far East having left it outside with the alarm on & it started first time! Very impressed that the battery has retained enough charge to start. Those having battery problems must have a fault.
Clive Waring is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clive Waring For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 20:49   #43
jimnom

Angry Flat Battery

I bot a new C79 in Feb 2010 and for a year have been given all the guff about not driving it enough. I'm nearly 70 years old and have always driven all my vehicles the way I drive this volvo. I've had many kinds of cars and motorhomes (which sometimes sat unused for up to 2 mths )and have never had any bother.
To be told by the dealer that you can't leave a volvo for more than 2 wks or it goes flat prompted the retort "So I can't go on a 15 day holiday and so you don't sell volvos to offshore oil rig workers who're on the rig for 4 wks ??" No answer "In my opinion the salesman should make the customer aware of this, In My Opinion the car is not fit for purpose "No answer.
Funnily within 2hrs of me phoning volvo G.B. the garage informs me that there is an issue with the roof module and volvo are investigating it
jimnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 16:50   #44
Skelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jenvey View Post
For Skelly - sorry, I was only told the specific item & that they up-dated the software. However, for the first time I left it to be checked, there were NO fault codes. If I remember correctly, the only fault codes for my second visit related to "spurious" warnings when the battery had got so flat.

As it happens, there still seems to a problem with my car. The other week, after a similar driving pattern as before, I stopped at a local supermarket, parked, & took key out of ignition. The car was still occupied, & the radio switched on.

After about 5 mins, the "Low Battery" warning message came on. When I got home, I put a batter charger on; it showed between 50%-70% status on the battery.

So, back to Volvo Cambridge for a longer period of observation (5 - 6 days at least), so they can see if there is anything drawing significant current.

Will report back; the car is not being dropped off until later in the month.
Thanks Mike, please let us know what if anything they discover. I'm booking mine in for a similar check soon too, so it will be handy to know the results of your test.
Skelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 14:01   #45
Mike Jenvey

OK, just picked the car up.

Nothing wrong was found with the battery, & no current drain.

So, working on the basis that if there is no battery drain when the car is "switched off," maybe the battery was not being charged properly whilst it was being driven, the alternator output was checked. It was giving a higher than normal reading, so the alternator has been changed. The replacement alternator gives "standard" output.

The Service department have been very honest; they don't really know if that is the cause. Watch this space!
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 15:37   #46
elch77

As this thread seems to be discontinued I would like to know if this battery problem can be seen as finally solved? No battery drains anymore after SW updates and replaced alternators?

I would highly appreciate a feedback from the guys that were affected by this problem as I already ordered my XC60.
elch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 18:51   #47
scotgc

I'm afraid I can't guarantee that I am free from this problem, it only occurs if the car is left for several days without being started. Since I can't replicate this I cannot be sure, it only happened when I went on hoilday.
scotgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 20:37   #48
Mike Jenvey

Sorry for no immediate up-date, but there hadn't been much to report.

My employers had provided me alternate transportation for a period, so the XC60 got left in my garage for 2 weeksor more (locked/alarmed) after only a couple of short journeys. Then followed a short (40 miles) drive, one week with the car remaining locked/alarmed, & the return home.

No untoward issues, the car started normally when required. I checked once with a battery charger, & it showed 100% charge. So, fingers crossed, all seems fixed.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 15:48   #49
elch77

Thanks for replying so quickly.

@scotgc
Did your car receive a software update for the CEM?

@tomto147
I would like to know if the SW update did help? As far as it is possible to say by now.

Thanks, guys!
elch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 17:10   #50
Superbenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnom View Post
I bot a new C79 in Feb 2010 and for a year have been given all the guff about not driving it enough. I'm nearly 70 years old and have always driven all my vehicles the way I drive this volvo. I've had many kinds of cars and motorhomes (which sometimes sat unused for up to 2 mths )and have never had any bother.
To be told by the dealer that you can't leave a volvo for more than 2 wks or it goes flat prompted the retort "So I can't go on a 15 day holiday and so you don't sell volvos to offshore oil rig workers who're on the rig for 4 wks ??" No answer "In my opinion the salesman should make the customer aware of this, In My Opinion the car is not fit for purpose "No answer.
Funnily within 2hrs of me phoning volvo G.B. the garage informs me that there is an issue with the roof module and volvo are investigating it
Mine started yesterday after a hol, 15 days post the last start, I remembered this post and was dreading pressing the button, but it fired to life no porbs.

My Dad has a V70 (05ish) and has left it 90 days plus and returned to have it fire up straight away, so I deffo don't think it is a Volvo issue as such as opposed to a specific issue on certain vehicles
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote