Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T4 Engine transplant

Views : 1236

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 22:28   #1
pierreoss

Smile T4 Engine transplant

Hi there got a S40 2.0 LPT does anyone know how hard it is to put a T4 engine in instead?
pierreoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 02:04   #2
peteS40

If its more power you want it is infinitely easier to fit the turbo off a T4 to your one which I lot of people do and I thing that gives you 40bhp extra apparantly
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 13:01   #3
Andy P
Swedish Cabbage

Either do what pete said and fit the TD04L-14T to the 2.0T or raise the boost to achieve similar gains. I'm currently running 14.7psi on the 12T.
Another member (BigT) owns a 2.0T with a decat system with the boost raised and a few other mods and has had it rr'd at over T4 power.

Andy P
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 19:55   #4
Rooster
Speed freak

The engine swap itself is easy cos they are the same on the outside just differant internally,

The difficult bit might be getting the ecu to work with the alarm and immobilizer unless you just get the standard 2.0lpt ecu chipped to T4 spec
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 20:18   #5
Big T
Jimmy's Mate!

If i was you I'd fit a mbc for now, as Andy says, exhaust and induction, then you'll be at T4 power or more, mine is running 165 whp which is over 200bhp!!!

Also the 2.0T has higher compression pistons so in my eyes you'd be better off tuing one of these!!! And as Andy says you can always fit the bigger turbo as well!!!
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 23:47   #6
pierreoss

Smile Thaks for your help

Hi tehere thanks for all your help. if i did put a T4 turbo on my car to replace the LPt would i have to have the ECU modified? Also if i was to fit a MBC is there any danger of turning the boost up or do i just have to use good fuel and service regulary?

Last edited by pierreoss; Dec 6th, 2006 at 23:57.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 01:26   #7
peteS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreoss View Post
Hi tehere thanks for all your help. if i did put a T4 turbo on my car to replace the LPt would i have to have the ECU modified?
No, but as this one runs higher boost the only slight possible issues I can think of are:
a) If you car is a phase 2 it has a "boost pressure" sensor in the top of the intercooler. I suppose there is a slight chance the ECU would detect this boost being too high, but I doubt it and it doesn't seem to be a problem I am sure for anyone else.
b) (Kind of related to "a") it is possible the ECU might not keep the wastegate shut long enough, does the T4 use a different boost control valve? but again I doubt such a thing has ever been an issue either.

But the simplest thing is to fit an MBC whatever you do.

Quote:
Also if i was to fit a MBC is there any danger of turning the boost up or do i just have to use good fuel and service regulary?
Eh? Not quite understand... there is a danger of just turning up the boost, you need to be able to measure it to ensure the boost is not too high when setting it best thing is to fit an in car boost gauge, my T4 boosts at about 18psi, Big T's 2.0T with the 12T turbo is up to 14psi IIRC anyway he can tell you more 'bout that.

Pete
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:03   #8
pierreoss

Smile Thaks

Hi thanks again, My new engine should be coming today so should be back on the road in the next day or 2 been waiting 5 weeks so im looking forward to getting my S40 back!
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 15:56   #9
Big T
Jimmy's Mate!

As long as you stay below 15psi the ecu should compensate the fuel mix just enough on the 12t turbo, so you will need to fit a boost gauge to make sure your not over boosting!!! Also if you bypass the boost control soloniod you don't get any probs with the ecu throwing a fault code cause of the extra boost your now running!!!

As for running the 14t, to get the benifits you would need to get it re-mapped otherwise you'll still run the same boost as on the stock 2.0t which is around 9psi!!!
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 18:48   #10
peteS40

Quote:
Hi thanks again, My new engine should be coming today so should be back on the road in the next day or 2 been waiting 5 weeks so im looking forward to getting my S40 back!
Just one to two days to get a new engine installed and all working?! You must have very efficient mechanics who work long hours...!!

Good luck with it all, these sort of jobs usually have "unforseen problems" but I hope it all goes smoothly.

Pete