Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mot pass......hurrah!!!

Views : 1063

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2012, 17:24   #1
BigGreenThing

Default Mot pass......hurrah!!!

Well what a pleasant surprise!!!

Woke up early today, determined to start preparing for the MOT. Checked old certificate....MOT ran out last week. Sh1t.

Rushed around and booked it into local MOT station, having bought a back box for the exhaust (it was blowing slightly). The car sailed through it's MOT..with the only advisory being a slight blowing exhaust (which I had sorted moments after MOT was done).

Really surprised. Other than careful(ish) driving and general service and other bits and bobs...I have done little to this Volvo...spent months trying to resolve an engine-near-stalling issue when I apply brakes, and although it's not got worse - it certainly hasn't improved - the car still passes MOT.

Surprisingly, the CO2 testing came out at 0.51%!!! On a Solex Cisac Carb!!!

I guess it's running too lean? Or is <1% normal on Volvo 240's before Cat Converters came on the scene?

Anyhoo - I got a legal certificate of safety for the next 12 months.

Happy days!
BigGreenThing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigGreenThing For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 17:43   #2
Michael J
Master Member

Less than three weeks ago my '89 2.3 with Solex CISAC was registered at CO 0.07% (max. allowed 3.5%), HC 26ppm (max. allowed 1200ppm). No cat, but it would have passed a cat test on those figures...

I had the plugs changed when some other work was done for this MoT (front brakes and the exhaust link pipe between the silencers, plus a little chassis welding) and they looked lovely. Not running lean. Last oil change was six months ago, new air filter then too.

Last edited by Michael J; Nov 24th, 2012 at 17:49.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael J For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 17:47   #3
rusty244

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenThing View Post
Well what a pleasant surprise!!!

Woke up early today, determined to start preparing for the MOT. Checked old certificate....MOT ran out last week. Sh1t.

Rushed around and booked it into local MOT station, having bought a back box for the exhaust (it was blowing slightly). The car sailed through it's MOT..with the only advisory being a slight blowing exhaust (which I had sorted moments after MOT was done).

Really surprised. Other than careful(ish) driving and general service and other bits and bobs...I have done little to this Volvo...spent months trying to resolve an engine-near-stalling issue when I apply brakes, and although it's not got worse - it certainly hasn't improved - the car still passes MOT.

Surprisingly, the CO2 testing came out at 0.51%!!! On a Solex Cisac Carb!!!

I guess it's running too lean? Or is <1% normal on Volvo 240's before Cat Converters came on the scene?

Anyhoo - I got a legal certificate of safety for the next 12 months.

Happy days!
Congrats on the pass!!

Mine (B230A 1985) always comes out very very low on the CO - was 0.3% last time I think. Normally puts my modern daily driver to shame in this respect.

I do wonder though if this is in part due to CO being tested at idle for pre 1986 cars. Later cars seem to get revved up to around 3k rpm before being tested?

Regarding your stalling just find a good old school mechanic who is good at tuning carbs. May also need a replacement diaphragm and/or needle and jet. Local chap I found near me adjusts my Pierburg 175CDUS to absolute perfection every couple of years.

Prior to this nobody (supposed carb rebuild place and main dealer back in the day included) have had it running so well in terms of power and efficiency. Definitely worth getting it fully in tune for fuel savings alone.
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty244 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 17:56   #4
Michael J
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty244 View Post
I do wonder though if this is in part due to CO being tested at idle for pre 1986 cars. Later cars seem to get revved up to around 3k rpm before being tested?
The revving to 2500rpm for a short time is to purge the exhaust system, the engine is allowed to idle for the test.

Ed: the CISAC is nothing like the earlier carbs, it's a twin-choke downdraught design. Basic maintenance consists of "leave it alone". :-)

Last edited by Michael J; Nov 24th, 2012 at 18:01.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael J For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 18:23   #5
BigGreenThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
The revving to 2500rpm for a short time is to purge the exhaust system, the engine is allowed to idle for the test.

Ed: the CISAC is nothing like the earlier carbs, it's a twin-choke downdraught design. Basic maintenance consists of "leave it alone". :-)
MJ...you're dead right. I think the first bit of advice I got on the CISAC from you (and Clifford Pope I think), was to leave it well alone and not "tinker". I heeded your advice and happy days. 0.07% CO2? Blimey. That's virtually alpine air coming out the end of the exhaust! That's incredibly good..and possibly indicative of the carb and EGR malarky working very effectively as they were designed to?

All I have done is replace gaskets I managed to find off another forum member.

Thanks Rusty! Waiting in the receptions of MOT stations always seems to have parallels with fatherhood and maternity wards! Nail biting stuff.

Seems like CO2 is healthy and normal then! As to the brake problem....I've banged on about it (ad nauseum) on previous posts. It's either a leaky servo or a big ol' vacuum leak I haven't located as yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigGreenThing For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 18:38   #6
Michael J
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenThing View Post
... CO2? ...
No, CO - that's carbon MONoxide, i.e. not completely burnt, so very slightly fuel-rich*. Lots of CO means too much fuel, not enough air/oxygen to burn it all perfectly. CO2 (and H2O - water) is what you get from normal complete combustion, so there is no point measuring it.

Or you can cheat and catalytically convert your oily exhaust fumes to make it look at the tail pipe as if you have a good engine. :-D

Ed: * or possibly oil, both are shown by the unburnt HC figure.

Last edited by Michael J; Nov 24th, 2012 at 18:52.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael J For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 22:47   #7
stephend
Premier Member

I am surprised by the very low CO figures from a non-catalysed car. I would have thought that this is running lean. I've always believed that 1% is about right - and is what a 'modern' produces from the combustion chambers and going into the front of the catalyst.

Congrats to all on their passes, in any case.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 12:03   #8
BigGreenThing

I think you're right stephend. However I'm reluctant to tinker with the current carb I have on the car....which, coincidentally, need to get me safely from Hove to my old stomping ground of Cambridge!
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 13:09   #9
stephend
Premier Member

You're right: if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 16:21   #10
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Well done to everyone who has a solex and lives in harmony with it..put a screwdriver near it and your asking for trouble!!..My solex has never been an mot issue ever..its usually wishbones..bushings..track rod ends oh and not forgetting weetabix trailing arms!!..all history now thank god..Cheers,hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote