Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is their anyone considering the new Audi E-tron?

Views : 2843

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2019, 18:01   #31
taylora

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
will understand why trendy has nothing to with it.
For me it's running costs and performance, with silence. Whooooooshh.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 18:25   #32
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
Easy, because people buy these cars for the social status, specially in south European countries not because they are great cars comparing it to others.
Example, if you look at the price of an Audi and a Mercedes / BMW in most of these countries, Audi is a good compromise since Mercedes is a very expensive brand.
They also survive because the VW group is not only Audi, it includes Audi, Skoda, Seat, Porsche.
Again, I dont like to pay a lot because I have to, I like to pay because it's deserved and you are getting a good service. That doesnt happen in Audi.
But worry not, your "bad episode" will come. It happens to everyone, and it will happen to you. It's just a matter of time.
You really have a dislike of Audi dont you? Based on MY experience, my Audi has been better built, and I have received better dealer service, than I did from Merc or BMW. So I may buy another - not because of social status (if you must know I bought it because it was discrete and not in your face...). Then again I may buy a Porsche for the driving experience or a BMW for the discounts....

But you can carry on with your blinkers if it suits you....
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 20:13   #33
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
I am doing an all day test drive of the Audi next month.I will let you know what think of it afterwards.

I must say the Audi dealership I went to was not pompous at all( like the average Merc dealership) .
Which one? I was never impressed with either Grimsby or Doncaster when I had my A6. That was 6 years ago mind.....

Not seen you around Scunny for a while btw. I have been messing with the plates on my car so might have passed you by unnoticed once a few months back. Oh and also using the V60 a few days a week to even up the mileage on the cars....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 00:01   #34
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
This is where you lost me in your thought process. You already have a hybrid solution, which is the only way to go for now during the transition period at least until 2022 or 2023.
A full electric SUV today is a high risk bet. It will still be a moderated risk bet in 2023 but at least you will have more advancements by then that will make the EV a more viable solution than what they are now.

Also, if you are a current customer from Volvo, and knowing that they will introduce technology like wireless charging in their future lineup, it may not be the best investment if you already own a PHEV solution right now.

Changing a PHEV for a full EV solution now may be considered a more trendy solution than an economical/strategical one.
Everyone has different needs, I do approx. 20k a year, but my longest day journey is around 200 miles, and that is rare, so a full EV would suit my needs more than my XC 60 T8, and it would be charged over night ever day at 8p per KWH, and all weekend. My XC60 I have to charge in the day time sometimes at double the cost. I do not see any full Electric a risk even after 8 years and you sell the amount you have saved makes a far better return than selling any ICE vehicle, in my opinion for me the longer I leave it the more it will cost me.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 00:10   #35
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dling View Post
How could you change from an average to big size SUV to a small sedan? after owning my xc60 and test driving the model S, I don’t even feel like checking out the model 3. The comfort and usability is just not there.

The e tron is really lovely, it was my first option but couldn’t wait an estimated 9 months delivery time. On the other hand, my “tesla in love” friend says he read a lot of articles saying that the e tron is a complete failure and doesn’t even come close to the Tesla from an EV point of view.

If you can, follow the advice above, wait one or maximum two years to have a proper choice of EVs
I do not need a big car, I prefer small hatchbacks well saloons actually, I do like SUV's for the height, I only really bought the XC60 T8 as it was the only car out in the market a year ago that meet my needs of Hybrid, performance, at a decent price doing as much distance as possible on battery, it was a business decision to save a lot of money, At present the demand for T8's seem so high, as where full Ev's are not so in demand, so I am tempted to change all ready.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 01:00   #36
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Which one? I was never impressed with either Grimsby or Doncaster when I had my A6. That was 6 years ago mind.....

Not seen you around Scunny for a while btw. I have been messing with the plates on my car so might have passed you by unnoticed once a few months back. Oh and also using the V60 a few days a week to even up the mileage on the cars....
Hi Phillip,
Long time no see indeed.
I was working at Sheffield and dropped into the Audi dealer there.
I have never been to either of the the 2 dealers you mention.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yeoman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 13:50   #37
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post

I have used Audi Hull. Found Audi Sheffield uninterested when I was looking for an A6 - only wanted to sell me a 2.0 despite telling them I wanted 3.0 and quattro. Hull and Sheffield were the same group but very different attitudes - which just shows it is down to individuals and not dealership groups, let alone the brand they sell!
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 13:56   #38
Haldex
Premier Member

@taylora

All your assumptions are based on the today's niche status of EVs. No- I don't have a petrol station at home but it's not like ICE car sales will explode (like EV sales are..) As you and millions of others are jumping on the EV bandwagon- expect the tax breaks and subsidies to disappear and the price of electricity to skyrocket. One could make a car run on kangaroo pi$$ - and with generous subsidies and giveaway pi$$ to drive on- sure, it may seem like an economically viable means of transport- but what happens when the free money and free kangaroo pi$$ are gone and you actually have to start paying a market price for what you drive on?..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 15:51   #39
MaDProFF
Master Member

Well you do know you can make your own electric at home too
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 19:27   #40
DangerMUK
VOC Member

I liked the look of the new SQ8 but that would be a bad move right now.

Shame as the V8 diesel looks pretty impressive for what it is.

Possibly XC90
DangerMUK is offline   Reply With Quote