Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo C70 T5 Error code: P0230

Views : 1460

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2019, 16:22   #1
philrocks

Default Volvo C70 T5 Error code: P0230

Hey guys,

Was sat in some traffic lights for 5 mins, and when I pulled away I noticed the car felt really wierd (surging / sputtering) looked down and I had an engine management light on. Turned off and on and the problem persisted, so parked it up and spent the day somewhere I didnt plan. Came back to the car later, started it up and drove home, went fine, the light was on the entire time though.

Got the codes from the car and it has P0230 (Fuel pump primary circuit), it had this about a month ago, but didnt come back once cleared till today.

Anyone had this before, or know of common problems that would cause this?

Cheers,
Phil

Previous Volvos: Volvo S40 1.9d

philrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 11:55   #2
Welton
Premier Member

Could it be the Fuel Pressure Sensor? (FPS). Known to give trouble on these cars for sure.

The FPS 'talks' to the Fuel Pump directly.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 13:38   #3
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Failing that, check the PEM unit under the rear seats.

Check the resistance and condition of the wires. They're known to go faulty.
Old May 7th, 2019, 20:08   #4
philrocks

Cheers guys,

I have the fuel pressor sensor on order so will change that when it arrives. If thats no good then will check PEM.

Will report back with findings.

Old May 27th, 2019, 11:03   #5
philrocks

Changed the fuel pressure sensor a few weeks ago, haven't had the error code since, but I don't think its fixed the problem. Get the occasionaly stutter, noticed it twice in 5th or 6th, when I take my foot of the gas, then put it down again, its like it goes, then hesitates then carrys on.

How do I test the PEM unit?

Also do all these platform cars use the same unit? so like the s40 1.6 can use a c70 T5 PEM unit?

Old May 28th, 2019, 09:38   #6
FunkyMelon
Master Member

No, the PEM units are different, only get one from a T5. I can't remember off the top of my head if they're coded, though they are loaded with software so I expect so.

Generally just pull the wire harness and check for any corrosion on the connector, any extra resistance will potentially cause issues with your fuelling.

VIDA will probably have more info on testing this.
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 12:09   #7
philrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
No, the PEM units are different, only get one from a T5. I can't remember off the top of my head if they're coded, though they are loaded with software so I expect so.

Generally just pull the wire harness and check for any corrosion on the connector, any extra resistance will potentially cause issues with your fuelling.

VIDA will probably have more info on testing this.
So I got a PEM unit from a 1.6 V50, and it works fine. Its got all the same product codes, and only the date appears to be different. So i'm pretty sure they are the same part (else how do the Volvo technicians differentiate if they have the same product codes?).

Anyway, still don't think this has solved the above issue, I have also changed my spark plugs, though the old ones, 4 of them looked almost new (I haven't changed them in my ownership for the past 3.5 years).

I havent had the error, but the car occasionally just doesn't feel quite right. like sometimes its got more power than other times, though when I plant it, its fine, and I havent had the weird surging thing I occasionally got since changing the PEM unit. (It has only happened in 5th/6th that I remember, I take my foot off the accelerator, then put it back on. The car slows then speeds up as you would expect, but then it slows and speeds up again, almost like I have taken my foot off the accelerator and put it on again).

Old Jun 17th, 2019, 09:40   #8
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Im surprised PEM unit is the same for 1.6 and T5, thats really odd but if p/no is the same, well...
One more thing that can go wrong on you and cause such symptoms is actual fuel pump - rare, but it happens (i.e. to yours truly...). Its a pita to go in as require fuel tank to go down (pretty funny if you have AWD), and also its not cheap part itself. In mys case though VIDA was giving out warnings for almost 2 years, ocasionally indicating "issue with fuel delivery" but I pin pointed it to pump itself.
fingers crossed in your case its something less problematic.
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 10:32   #9
philrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Im surprised PEM unit is the same for 1.6 and T5, thats really odd but if p/no is the same, well...
One more thing that can go wrong on you and cause such symptoms is actual fuel pump - rare, but it happens (i.e. to yours truly...). Its a pita to go in as require fuel tank to go down (pretty funny if you have AWD), and also its not cheap part itself. In mys case though VIDA was giving out warnings for almost 2 years, ocasionally indicating "issue with fuel delivery" but I pin pointed it to pump itself.
fingers crossed in your case its something less problematic.
So, I have changed the PEM, FPS and spark plugs (4 looked almost new) trying to fix the fuel problems, but yesterday the car felt weird. Would keep the throttle in a single location, and the car would accelerate then back off then accelerate then back off, feeling like it was stuttering. Generally full throttle it was okay, but when it wasn't, it just didn't behave right.
Haven't had the error code yet (just a generic code reader) did the Vida give out different responses? Also how did you pinpoint it to the pump? (anything else you checked).

Where in the fuel tank is the pump located?

Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 10:13   #10
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrocks View Post
So, I have changed the PEM, FPS and spark plugs (4 looked almost new) trying to fix the fuel problems, but yesterday the car felt weird. Would keep the throttle in a single location, and the car would accelerate then back off then accelerate then back off, feeling like it was stuttering. Generally full throttle it was okay, but when it wasn't, it just didn't behave right.
Haven't had the error code yet (just a generic code reader) did the Vida give out different responses? Also how did you pinpoint it to the pump? (anything else you checked).

Where in the fuel tank is the pump located?
When I had the pump issue, it was bad enough so it was trigerring CEL on dash. Generic OBD reader was throwing power delivery error (generic error code that when translated to Volvo codes was pointing towards fuel delivery system). Vida was not that more specific - ECM-2900 Fuel pressure - faulty signal, that can really be anything from FPS to pump itself, even Vida troubleshooting tutorial was pointing out to check FPS first, then PEM, then fuel pump etc...
How did I pinpoint pump - similar to you, replaced FPS first, didnt help, checked all other fuel related connectors etc, didnt help. I checked PEM connectors (under rear ceat on my car, thats the box that commands fuel pump and all) as those can go wrong, but to be honest - unless there was obvious signs of wire damage or anything, you may never know its the issue.
What helped me was to diagnose the fuel pressure and fuelpump duty cycle on Vida - compared to another V50 AWD, mine had ridiculous values on pump duty cycle - something like 60% in idle etc. Meaning pump was working almost 2x harder just to maintain idle pressure, normal value is like under 40. It was also really noisy - metallic buzzing ever since I got the car. It was possible culprit, so have bitten the bullet and ordered pump and harness (as it had signs of tampering with). Helped immediately, no more noise, no CEL, duty cycle on very low level.
Getting to pump is a nightmare - you need to drop the fuel tank (exhaust and related parts - OFF), I suspect its the same on yours. On mine it was also AWD drivetrain parts, so yea, not a cheap/funny job. Pump is located on top of the tank, its a one full unit with sender, filter etc.

if you get Vida or access to it, it could really help you diagnose the problem, there are a lot of parameters you can drive with and monitor to see whats going on, see example below (this already indicate an issue just by looking at values in real time)

Attached Images
File Type: png idle.PNG (6.2 KB, 36 views)