Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vehicle Safety/Recall Notification

Views : 21048

Replies : 179

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2019, 16:28   #31
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison View Post
In response to an earlier post there are plenty of non-AdBlue D5s out there, at least up to MY 17 for S90 and presumably V90.
Non-AdBlue D5s were made for at least part of MY18 - my MY18 XC60 does not use it.
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 17:19   #32
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
I'm not surprised. The amount of soot being deposited on my D5 tailpipes is ridiculous.

I raised it with the dealer but was told it's normal. My diesel CR-V was nothing like this.
I currently run both the latest twin turbo CRV and Volvo D5. The Honda tailpipe is clean enough to eat my lunch off. The Volvo is very sooty. It doesn’t worry me but do find it odd that this much soot gets past the DPF.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 12:35   #33

Got mine this morning saying wait for more information so that's what I'll do. Bit if a pain having to arrange getting to the dealers etc but at least its being dealt with.
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 16:52   #34
D4dilemma

I am told by 2 experts in the Industry Press that Volvo knew in 2012/13 the D4 would need Ad Blue if further advances on Euro 6 were made. Given it was their acclaimed new universal engine for the long term, by a company claiming environmental credentials, that wasn't very far sighted of them. I too wrongly assumed they introduced it because of the massive EGR issue, but that was in fact not the case. "IF" coincidentally it solved the problem it got them out of a hole though...
The notification actually includes cars up to 2019, but whether that is an error or cars literally still being sold today as new or nearly new have the same problem I don't know. One assumes a certain amount of care and checking occurs before sending out a red labelled Safety Recall.
If the Notification is correct and new or newish cars are or have been sold with an apparently un resolvable problem, known about for at least 3 years, then I suspect buyers would not be very pleased. For 2019 cars bought from a dealer do you get the recall notification with the log book? Or do they break the news more gently..
Certainly despite a written promise (to me at least) by Volvo they had solved the issue "permanently" around 2016, their dealers freely admit the obvious fact this is simply not true. Unlike the Notifications to mere customers the information passed to dealers from Volvo is clear that the manifold melting etc is due to blockage by the EGR related gunge. "No kidding" say those who have been paying attention.
To correct another common wrong assumption (actually from one of the Press Experts). Asking Volvo Customer Services (who checked with Warranty/Technical as I hung on) it is NOT the case that Volvo specify or recommend use of Superdiesel or your engine will "block up and maybe catch fire". The emphatic reply was "our engines do not need it". So even if they do they should have said so....
But what do they need then ???
D4dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D4dilemma For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 17:45   #35
Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4dilemma View Post
I am told by 2 experts in the Industry Press that Volvo knew in 2012/13 the D4 would need Ad Blue if further advances on Euro 6 were made. Given it was their acclaimed new universal engine for the long term, by a company claiming environmental credentials, that wasn't very far sighted of them. I too wrongly assumed they introduced it because of the massive EGR issue, but that was in fact not the case. "IF" coincidentally it solved the problem it got them out of a hole though...
The notification actually includes cars up to 2019, but whether that is an error or cars literally still being sold today as new or nearly new have the same problem I don't know. One assumes a certain amount of care and checking occurs before sending out a red labelled Safety Recall.
If the Notification is correct and new or newish cars are or have been sold with an apparently un resolvable problem, known about for at least 3 years, then I suspect buyers would not be very pleased. For 2019 cars bought from a dealer do you get the recall notification with the log book? Or do they break the news more gently..
Certainly despite a written promise (to me at least) by Volvo they had solved the issue "permanently" around 2016, their dealers freely admit the obvious fact this is simply not true. Unlike the Notifications to mere customers the information passed to dealers from Volvo is clear that the manifold melting etc is due to blockage by the EGR related gunge. "No kidding" say those who have been paying attention.
To correct another common wrong assumption (actually from one of the Press Experts). Asking Volvo Customer Services (who checked with Warranty/Technical as I hung on) it is NOT the case that Volvo specify or recommend use of Superdiesel or your engine will "block up and maybe catch fire". The emphatic reply was "our engines do not need it". So even if they do they should have said so....
But what do they need then ???
Am intrigued by this. Points I would make initially are that journalists are often not real experts in anything technical and that they also love a bit of scandal, invented or otherwise. Still, before this post, I rang Marshalls in Nottingham to see what they think is going on re timing. They are going to ring back..........(not holding breath). I'm wasn't aware that Volvo recommend the use of premium diesel although I do use it. I have noted elsewhere that Costco diesel created huge amounts of sooty deposits. I also note that others use supermarket diesel to their complete satisfaction. The overall problem seems to be that diesel is running out of fixes and that the current fixes are hard to control (certainly on my previous E Classes). No bother to date with my D5 though so far. Tempting fate here.
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 18:36   #36
Quacker
Premier Member

Has anyone with a model that belongs in this forum actually had an issue with either D4 or D5 manifold deforming, let alone melting?

Let’s count them all. Older model cars do not and should not count. This is relevant to people who have had the recall notice alone.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 18:50   #37
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Has anyone with a model that belongs in this forum actually had an issue with either D4 or D5 manifold deforming, let alone melting?

Let’s count them all. Older model cars do not and should not count. This is relevant to people who have had the recall notice alone.
Nice idea, but is it easy for owners to confirm whether the manifold has deformed? Assuming I can get a clear look at it (?) then serious slumping or a large bulge might be obvious, but a subtle deformation in a specific location might easily go unnoticed.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 21:05   #38
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Nice idea, but is it easy for owners to confirm whether the manifold has deformed? Assuming I can get a clear look at it (?) then serious slumping or a large bulge might be obvious, but a subtle deformation in a specific location might easily go unnoticed.
If it has deformed significantly then there will be other faults evident, such as an air leak. If not and it hasn’t caught fire, it’s fine so far.

OK, it’s far easier to count the ones that have caught fire. So how many have we got?
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 16:49   #39
Tony Harrison

Well Quacker, you certainly know how to halt a thread! You can hear a pin drop out there. Re my earlier post, Marshalls did ring back. Their very nice lady said that Volvo are in the process of identifying which cars need a recall (so maybe not all D4/D5 do?) and the necessary parts stocking is being initiated (not that she yet knows what will be involved). She was also unclear about an exact timetable but thought it would be a 1 or 2 month process before Volvo will be in touch again. Does this tie in with others' enquiries?
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 17:57   #40
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison View Post
Well Quacker, you certainly know how to halt a thread! You can hear a pin drop out there. Re my earlier post, Marshalls did ring back. Their very nice lady said that Volvo are in the process of identifying which cars need a recall (so maybe not all D4/D5 do?) and the necessary parts stocking is being initiated (not that she yet knows what will be involved). She was also unclear about an exact timetable but thought it would be a 1 or 2 month process before Volvo will be in touch again. Does this tie in with others' enquiries?
yep pretty much identical with the addition of some (perhaps speculative) timeframes