Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 2.0litre turbo purchase & maintenance.

Views : 657

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2019, 19:43   #1
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Default C70 2.0litre turbo purchase & maintenance.

I’m toying with the idea of buying a C70 convertible as a second car, a car that I can at least do things to, possible modify slightly, have fun with. There seems to be quite a selection on the market, private and trader sales, prices from under a grand to around 3.5k. If we sell the XC60 my budget will be somewhere around the 2k mark.
Assuming servicing is up to date, with cam belt, auxy belt and tensioner changed , the main thing that I would be wary of is the PCV system. Not sure if my back is up to hanging over and under the block to change this, wondering what people here would think a reasonable price for dealer or decent Indy to do this. I think the kit from Volvo is in the region of £120-£150, perhaps a bit less if FRF supply it.
Any car has to be automatic. My left leg simply can’t cope with a clutch pedal for and distance these days. Worth getting the gearbox fluid flushed and renewed? I’m assuming it would be JW3309 fluid, not really a diy job for me either. Is the risk of moving crap into the valve block serious enough NOT to flush and renew, if the box is working OK.
I’m also assuming brake pads, discs, etc are pretty simple, and diy able even for an old bugger like me.
Anything I really need to watch out for specially, apart from ensuring the roof works right. Any corrosion hot spots etc. I’m not too worried about replaceable stuff like track rod ends, bushes, engine mounts, etc.
Does the engine need to be hot to do the glove test for crankcase pressure?
I know the convertibles seem to have a habit of breaking rear springs, but that doesn’t look too difficult a job.
Advice welcome.
Oh, and do you think a folding wheelchair would fit in the boot, as and when I need one, or would it be a case and on the rear seats?
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 20:08   #2
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Alec,

Just a quick response.

Why are you looking at 2.0 rather than 2.5 T or T5? (I am not sure if there is a 2.5 non turbo). I don't know anything about the 2.0 engine, so cannot comment on differences etc.

The boot on the C70 is very very small. Can you find a C70 and try it at an early stage?

Yes I assume that the engine should be hot to do the glove test.

Mechanically the C70s up to 2005 are very similar to the V70 (pre 2000), so parts and experience are easily available.

The PCV is not really a big job once you have accepted the fact that you have to remove the intake manifold (and I remove the radiator fan as well), but yes it does involve quite a lot of leaning into the engine bay!

Rear springs should be easy (although I have only done it on V70s).

The fabric roof is a problem area (1. the rear window becomes detached, and 2. the fabric tends to get scuffed in various spots). Expensive to replace.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)

Last edited by SteveSarre; Jul 15th, 2019 at 20:15.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 20:30   #3
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Smile

Why the 2.0 litre turbo? Lots and lots more about in seemingly decent condition. I have no need of a T5, insurance, VED, and fuel costs higher, and the ones available all seem to look knocked about, or have moon mileage, and ‘minor problems’! The 2.0 can be happily mapped to 220bhp and major increase in Torque.
The same thing about condition and mileage also seems to apply to any D5 geartronic cars that I’ve found!
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 22:20   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

The convertibles are incredibly well built and give few problems other than the standard things that you would get with that age of car.

When I bought mine three years ago, it was difficult to find a good tidy one - given the cost new, most on the market at that time had been severely abused.

There are plenty of 2.0lt cars about, but the 2.4 is sublime - extra power, but not generally subjected to abuse that many T5's have had. The 2.4 is 200bhp as standard and quite sufficient. Go for a 2003 onwards with the Crystal headlights - they really are worth the extra and if you can find one, GT spec - Identified by the centre dash top speaker.

The boot is surprisingly large and holds a lot of stuff, but is an awkward 'L' shape and I doubt will accommodate a wheelchair.

If the car hasn't got a front strut brace, do get one it will make a world of difference to scuttle shake.

Easy cars to work on - rear springs can be changed quite easily by releasing the bottom shock mounting, compressing the spring with compressors and out it pops. The only corrosion spot is the rear exhaust hanger - these rust away, but repair items are cheap and easy to fit. the rear chassis leg above the exhaust also rusts, but again accessible and easily treated.

Look out for blocked drain tubes on the front scuttle and the four drain tubes in the hood stowage compartment.

Buy the best you can afford, check everything works and enjoy.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 07:21   #5
flaggy
Master Member

I have a C70 convertible if you want to try you're wheelchair in. Just north of Norwich. Steve.
flaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 07:28   #6
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Thanks for the offer, Steve. I havent got a wheelchair yet, but its coming ever closer in the near future, so I was just trying to plan ahead, and get general opinions and advice.