Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is their anyone considering the new Audi E-tron?

Views : 2868

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2019, 15:40   #21
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
Its a shame that you decide a whole brand is rubbish based on one retailer
No, my experience was based on 4 different countries (Switzerland, Germany, Spain and Portugal) not a local dealer...
So I'm pretty much qualified to say that in terms of customer service they suck bad. The cars are ok but for that quality of service, both service and the car itself are very expensive for what you get.

And going deep regarding the car quality, after 2012 they decreased a lot the build quality in their entry level and mid level lineup (A1, A3, Q3, A4 and Q5).
You look inside an entry-mid level Audi today and you are seeing and feeling a Skoda, not an Audi.

So you pay for the brand not the car / service and that is a bad principle. But anyone is free to do whatever they want with their money.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 15:45   #22
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
No, my experience was based on 4 different countries (Switzerland, Germany, Spain and Portugal) not a local dealer...
So I'm pretty much qualified to say that in terms of customer service they suck bad. The cars are ok but for that quality of service, both service and the car itself are very expensive for what you get.

And going deep regarding the car quality, after 2012 they decreased a lot the build quality in their entry level and mid level lineup (A1, A3, Q3, A4 and Q5).
You look inside an entry-mid level Audi today and you are seeing and feeling a Skoda, not an Audi.

So you pay for the brand not the car / service and that is a bad principle. But anyone is free to do whatever they want with their money.
I drive a Q5 (well techincally an SQ5) and I would say it is very well built inside, great leather, good tech. Better than my last Merc, better than my last Volvo (but that isnt a fair comparison as it was a 2011 XC70).

I am amazed that they still survive if all dealers in 4 countries are complete rubbish. Astounding.....

PS I work in London, I get in many cars every week that look like a Volvo inside, share components underneath too - but it wouldnt put me off buying one. An Audi sharing components with a Skoda doesnt either...
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 15:55   #23
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
A 300 mile range EV is fine for me, not for you.

Peace man. I'm not right and you're not wrong. It suits me, doesn't suit you. Your money, buy what you like.
Exactly. And judging by the EV sales/market share - outside Norway (where the gov. heavily subsidizes the EVs...) they are on a level of statistical error - a great majority of the driving population will agree with me.

And peace it is- I may have sounded of a bit aggressive- but it wasn't my intention.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 16:06   #24
taylora

I've no idea if EV sales are up/down/static here in the UK. However, given you can now get a Tesla for £36k which is nearly £10k LESS than a Hybrid XC40 then I can only see them going up.

I considered waiting for a Polestar 2, it looks lovely and has a good range but that's going to be £50k by the time it goes onsale, possibly next year in RHD.

So unless the Model 3 is a dog to drive (every review says it's definitely not), I think I've found my V90 replacement. Will see when I drive it tomorrow.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 16:09   #25
taylora

Oh and before someone smart pips up to say an XC40 Twin Engine is £40k, you need to add Intellisafe surround, Xenium pack, leather, Premium Sound, winter pack etc to get the spec to the same as a Model 3 at £36k.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 16:24   #26
Haldex
Premier Member

Ofcourse, but you do realize that this is not even near the true price of a Model 3? Heavy subsidies are paid for by the taxpayers and from the excises charged on fossil fuels. How long do you think can this system last for? How long do you expect to be able to enjoy the free charging? What happens when 10 or 15% of all cars on the road are electric- a hike from today's 1-2%? How many superchargers will be enough once EVs reach 30% of the market share? Or 50%? Etc, etc.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 16:27   #27
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post

I am amazed that they still survive if all dealers in 4 countries are complete rubbish. Astounding.....
Easy, because people buy these cars for the social status, specially in south European countries not because they are great cars comparing it to others.
Example, if you look at the price of an Audi and a Mercedes / BMW in most of these countries, Audi is a good compromise since Mercedes is a very expensive brand.
They also survive because the VW group is not only Audi, it includes Audi, Skoda, Seat, Porsche.
Again, I dont like to pay a lot because I have to, I like to pay because it's deserved and you are getting a good service. That doesnt happen in Audi.
But worry not, your "bad episode" will come. It happens to everyone, and it will happen to you. It's just a matter of time.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 16:49   #28
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
This is where you lost me in your thought process. You already have a hybrid solution, which is the only way to go for now during the transition period at least until 2022 or 2023.
A full electric SUV today is a high risk bet. It will still be a moderated risk bet in 2023 but at least you will have more advancements by then that will make the EV a more viable solution than what they are now.

Also, if you are a current customer from Volvo, and knowing that they will introduce technology like wireless charging in their future lineup, it may not be the best investment if you already own a PHEV solution right now.

Changing a PHEV for a full EV solution now may be considered a more trendy solution than an economical/strategical one.
Check out the latest government pronouncement for company cars on BIK tax for any hybrid vehicle that does less than 150 miles on pure electricity and the BIK for zero emission cars from April.I think you will will understand why trendy has nothing to with it.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 17:35   #29
taylora

Wow, that's alot of wrong assumptions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Ofcourse, but you do realize that this is not even near the true price of a Model 3?
The list price is £39.5k and has a £3500 govt subsidy to drop it to £36k, the exact same as you get on a T5/T8 Twin Engine plug in but not on a B4/5 mild hybrid.

Quote:
How long do you think can this system last for?
As long as it takes to place my order, I really don't care after that. Once volumes are up, prices are likely to fall so the subsidy will likely end.

Quote:
How long do you expect to be able to enjoy the free charging?
Ignoring free charging 48K miles of electric is about one fifth the cost or 48K miles of diesel. Diesel/petrol prices go up and down day by day. Electric prices tend to change maybe quarterly, longer if you lock into a tariff.

Quote:
What happens when 10 or 15% of all cars on the road are electric- a hike from today's 1-2%? How many superchargers will be enough once EVs reach 30% of the market share? Or 50%? Etc, etc.
Demand/supply chicken and egg. I'll always have a socket at home. Do you have a petrol station at home?
The Following User Says Thank You to taylora For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 17:53   #30
yeoman
Master Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
Wow,

Demand/supply chicken and egg. I'll always have a socket at home. Do you have a petrol station at home?
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote