Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2018 vs 2016 XC60 D4

Views : 853

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2019, 04:25   #1
Exponent

Default 2018 vs 2016 XC60 D4

Hoping there might be some who might be willing to share their thoughts and/or experiences:

I currently have a 2016 XC60 D4. Absolutely love the truck - it does everything that we need it do and then more. We have not had a single serious problem with it - and it would easily be a keeper for the long term if required.

However - after having to be a first responder to an accident where a pedestrian was cleaned up face first into the windscreen of a car - a seriously bad mess (and I have seen some pretty bad stuff in my lifetime) - I have been considering moving to a newer XC60 that has ALL the bells and whistles and great gear in it.

We will NOT buy a Chinese manufactured XC60 (various reasons for another day and no - I'm not racist - my wife is Chinese) - and where I am - the European manufactured XC60 stopped being imported by mid 2018. However there is a ex-Demo XC60 Inscription 2018 that has had its 1st birthday at a dealer not far away with about 4000km on the clock......

Accordingly - I am balancing up if there is merit to taking away my perfectly working and functional old shape XC60 for the newer kit? Has anyone had experience of both? Can anyone share any good or bad points of difference between the 2?

I have not had a chance to drive the 2018 or 2019 yet - but what I really do appreciate with the 2016 is the comfort of the seats, visibility and slightly SUV driving position, the relaxed driving operation and the torque from the diesel. I am hoping that this has transferred into the newer versions?

Appreciate any thoughts and experiences so that I can make a more informed decision.

Cheers

Last edited by Exponent; Jul 18th, 2019 at 04:28.
Exponent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 06:17   #2
dling

I was also driving a perfectly working car which was doing exactly what I needed it to do and more . But then, once driving back home in the middle of the night, with all the passengers sleeping, I realized that some seconds before I was driving through a tunnel but I had absolutely no memory about the moment/time I left the tunnel... nothing happened but I understood how much the new technology can help. And since all these safety features perhaps you only need once in a lifetime, it would be a petty not to have them as soon as possible.

My advice, if the things you are missing are safety related, go for it, otherwise it’s not worth it.
dling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 06:34   #3
Ringthane
VOC Member

Although my previous car was a 2010 D5, the difference in refinement was staggering. The interior is way better designed and put together. I loved the old XC60, but the new one is in another class altogether.

I do think that the R Design seats in the old model were more comfortable than my inscription seats, but it is marginal and the inscription seats are better in many other ways, such as adjustability, massage, ventilation etc. Some people find the inscription seats uncomfortable, but I think it’s just a question of adjustment.

The whole interior ambience of the new models is way better than the old one; more befitting of a 50k car.

Sensus in the SPA cars is better. Having updates over the air is much more convenient, and being permanently connected to the internet has many other benefits.

The touch screen divided motoring journalists, when the new model came out, but I find it easy to use, but I voice control to change things while on the move, as it can be difficult to navigate the menus, while on the move.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 07:18   #4
Exponent

Thanks for the help.

The concept of only having to save me or my family just once - is paying for itself well and truly - is why I am investigating this option.

The touch screen - I have had a go with it when I have had an S90 loaner and an XC40 loaner during our services. Undecided - but it is the way of the future so I figured no point resisting - just learn, adapt and move forward.

Have you found the new model reliable? The compressed air on the turbo - does it actually remove some of the down low turbo lag? Handling similar?

I am familiar with the adaptive cruise control, and the anti collision stuff from the wife's V40 D4 rocket (and the LED lights are fantastic). Apart from the safety features, it is balanced against my Mrs only objection is the new tunnel centre console sticking up separating the cockpit. I spent 25 years at work like that - doesn't worry me......but trying to identify any other objective reasons to change or not change is being quite difficult.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 07:43   #5
Tresco85

We came from a 2013 XC60 D5 and yes the new one is much better, my wife also didn't like the centre console being so high but I don't think she worries about it now. The only thing I would say is we find the Inscription seats to be very uncomfortable and nearly traded it in for a Momentum after 6 months but now have to sit on a gel cushion to use the car, I know there is a lot of people who find them very comfortable but there are also a lot that find them very uncomfortable so if possible I would try and go for a long test drive.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 08:39   #6
Exponent

Tresco85,

Thanks for the pro tip - will do as you say.

Very much appreciated.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 10:44   #7
scw

PowerPulse on the D5 does what it says on the tin most of the time, assuming the auto-box wants to cooperate.

I came from a 2011 XC60 D5 (manual, 5-pot, twin turbo) and, as others have said, the new model is quite a step up in refinement and comfort.

Intellisafe false alarms are not uncommon, particularly in parked-up narrow streets. Though it's reassuring that it is keeping an eye on things. The only time it has been a nuisance is through roadworks on dual-carriageways where lane 2 is narrowed (40mph limit). Intellisafe would periodically apply the brakes (moderately) due to picking up a false-positive when approaching/passing certain types of trucks in lane 1 (car transporters seem to be the worst). Worrying when being tailgated by an Audi* ...

Over 30K miles, mine has applied full-on collision mitigation braking only once to avoid a rear-ender. The accompanying seatbelt pretensioning is surprisingly harsh, but effective. I'm now pretty confident that the car will intervene to help prevent me crashing into stuff, but I suspect the tradeoff will be an increased chance of the tailgating Audis* rear-ending me because the car reacts so quickly.

Steve

* Other rep-mobiles available.
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 11:13   #8
Exponent

I certainly appreciated your thoughts - and just looked up that in my area the D5 has the Power Pulse - the D4 AWD I was looking at - bog standard nadda.

I think I am just going to get off my butt and check it out in person - add a bit of subjective to the objective.

Thanks all - appreciated.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 11:35   #9
WhatNext?

Anyone know why Volvo's don't have active bonnet?