Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Haldex oil change

Views : 39035

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2020, 21:00   #21
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracken78 View Post
Thank you very much both for taking the time to reply. I think the 2014 Xc70 has a Haldax 5 which does not have a filter which can be changed. I'll have a look under the car this weekend to double check which unit I have and then contact the local Volvo dealer for the oil.

Ask for a discount, I've never been refused yet.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 22:34   #22
TrollSniper

I have owned a D5 XC60 since 2018, only a few months old when I bought it, read the Volvo service data not long after and noted the 40,000 mile Haldex interval, so thought I would be ok for a few more miles. Something a friend had mentioned to me a few years back, about a friend of his having been hit with a big dealership bill to replace the Haldex unit on his XC90 got me thinking last week, so I thought I would look a bit deeper at which haldex setup I had, and what others had discovered. I ended up on this forum, must admit I am pleased I did.

Read this post and decided I needed to drop the haldex pump off the car for a look. Quick call to Haldex repairs UK had new oil & O rings on their way.

I only do 10,000 miles a year in the car, no trailer lugging.

Car has 21,000 miles.

The pictures tell a tale of a something about to fail with such lengthy service intervals. When I do the engine oil & filter next year, it will also get a haldex service too.

Hope the links work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KSG2utLffVT8VZ9a7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yfZByeDp6hANRgds5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kcaaPxHiHyHHq3X29

Last edited by TrollSniper; Mar 8th, 2020 at 22:36.
TrollSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2020, 13:41   #23
bracken78

Right, I have been under the car, I have checked I have the tools and can undo the bolts holding the Haldex 5 pump to the diff and also remove the refill plastic thing.

I have the proper Volvo oil to :-)

I am still not 100% sure how to clean the pump when removed from the car. I have some cotton buds and new rag. Is it ok to spray/use brake cleaner like in this Video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4mb-e-3R7M

Thank you.
bracken78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2020, 14:04   #24
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I have Haldex 3 but the white plastic filter on the pump is pretty much identical to Haldex 5.

I have always used Brake cleaner on the pump filter and it is very effective at blasting the rubbish out and leaving everything spotless.

Works well for me but ultimately it's your choice BUT it must be cleaned.👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2020, 20:53   #25
merchofdoom

Default Haldex help.

Good afternoon all.

Whilst carrying out my haldex service one of the bolts snapped in the haldex housing.

I need to remove the prop to seperate the housing, but I'm unsure where is best to hit it to seperate it. I have undone the 6 x 8mm Allen key bolts, so it's ready to go.

Any pictures would be gratefully appreciated.

My car is an XC60.
merchofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2020, 13:00   #26
bracken78

Thanks for your assistance. I have now completed the Haldex oil changed and would class it as a simple-ish task however it took me a while to build the confidence to do it . Just needed to check I had the tools required and could open the fill cap. Start to finish took me around 2 hrs with plenty of time cleaning and checking but could do it much quicker now. The filter was not pleasant to see and some of the nets where completely blocked. Well worth doing.
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 09:16   #27
Agro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracken78 View Post
Thanks for your assistance. I have now completed the Haldex oil changed and would class it as a simple-ish task however it took me a while to build the confidence to do it . Just needed to check I had the tools required and could open the fill cap. Start to finish took me around 2 hrs with plenty of time cleaning and checking but could do it much quicker now. The filter was not pleasant to see and some of the nets where completely blocked. Well worth doing.
G'day,

What was the mileage on your car at the time?
The Following User Says Thank You to Agro For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 11:49   #28
bracken78

Just over 56,000 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to bracken78 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 14:13   #29
V602012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGecko View Post
Mine was changed this morning haldex 5 - 2015 xc60.

See before and after pics - this is the first time I've changed it after 73k miles... despite asking Volvo directly and the dealer if it needed to be done - they both said it doesn't.....I think these images show otherwise!
Seems the Haldex 5 has real problems due to the deletion of the previous replaceable oil filter and just relying on the simple pump pickup gauze. At the same time the previous pressure sensor was deleted. So the owner will usually not know if the system has failed. VW group use the Haldex 5 too.
See https://youtu.be/CqvRLbwT7yY
V602012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2020, 16:45   #30
richard willetts

Default Haldex

Hi
Got a late Freelander 2 with Haldex 4 with an Haldex filter, Austen at Belle Engineering recommends these units need to be serviced every 40k to avoid any problems and expensive repair bills Land Rover say Haldex 4 require no service or attention and are sealed for life.

Yours has the Haldex 5 with the lovely powerful 2.4 D5 engine, please correct me if I am wrong it has no filter to change and is much easier to service, the downside is no filter to catch the muck so I think more frequent service is required and when looking at your pics proves this to be the case.
Richard
richard willetts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richard willetts For This Useful Post: