Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 Starting Problem

Views : 7402

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 16:39   #11
jshack

Default Starting issue

Posting as i have the same issue - only in cold weather, didn't do this over the summer. Mine is a 2010 D5 with c.200k miles. Runs perfect otherwise.

Symptom: on cold start takes a few cranks to start on first attempt and is lumpy for a few seconds.

If I cycle the ignition 2 or 3 times its starts on the button and runs smooth, so that's what I've been doing.

Immediately thought about the glow plugs - checked the resistance as per SiRobb's video on youtube and no issues. But I have noticed the glow plug light is only visible on the 2/3 key turn. otherwise it extinguishes immediately.

I have VIDA too - no codes.

Thought about just renewing the glow plugs but don't want to risk snapping them.

Any ideas? other than putting off looking at it until next winter.

Thanks
James
jshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 23:34   #12
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshack View Post
Posting as i have the same issue - only in cold weather, didn't do this over the summer. Mine is a 2010 D5 with c.200k miles. Runs perfect otherwise.

Symptom: on cold start takes a few cranks to start on first attempt and is lumpy for a few seconds.

If I cycle the ignition 2 or 3 times its starts on the button and runs smooth, so that's what I've been doing.

Immediately thought about the glow plugs - checked the resistance as per SiRobb's video on youtube and no issues. But I have noticed the glow plug light is only visible on the 2/3 key turn. otherwise it extinguishes immediately.

Thought about just renewing the glow plugs but don't want to risk snapping them.

Thanks
James
To be honest, it sounds the exact same as mine, so i would say its one of 2 things, either glow plug(s) or dodgy connector(s) to the glow plug or wiring as its only happening in colder weather.

When i had the cold start misfire issue, it was a dodgy connector, so 1st i would say before you next cold start it in the morning, pop the bonnet either the afternoon before or beforeyou try to start the next morning and press hard on each of the connectors. Dont try starting it 1st as that will ruin the test and you will have to wait til the following day to find out if its worked. If that does not resolve it, then buy a set of plugs, they are dirt cheap, i went through 3 sets trying to resolve it til i realised it was a connector(s), it was such an elusive issue and took nearly a year on and off trying to narrow it down, each time i tired a set, it resolved it for a couple of days, then slowly got worse, i tried, cheap plugs, then bosch plugs, then cheap plugs, latter were £10 a set, i accidentally found that its was the connector(s) not on tight enough and yep, 4 of mine are snapped, still work great now i know to be heavy handed when refitting them.

Hope ya find the issue and not take as long as i did lol
Old Apr 24th, 2022, 08:30   #13
Moonhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
To be honest, it sounds the exact same as mine, so i would say its one of 2 things, either glow plug(s) or dodgy connector(s) to the glow plug or wiring as its only happening in colder weather.

When i had the cold start misfire issue, it was a dodgy connector, so 1st i would say before you next cold start it in the morning, pop the bonnet either the afternoon before or beforeyou try to start the next morning and press hard on each of the connectors. Dont try starting it 1st as that will ruin the test and you will have to wait til the following day to find out if its worked. If that does not resolve it, then buy a set of plugs, they are dirt cheap, i went through 3 sets trying to resolve it til i realised it was a connector(s), it was such an elusive issue and took nearly a year on and off trying to narrow it down, each time i tired a set, it resolved it for a couple of days, then slowly got worse, i tried, cheap plugs, then bosch plugs, then cheap plugs, latter were £10 a set, i accidentally found that its was the connector(s) not on tight enough and yep, 4 of mine are snapped, still work great now i know to be heavy handed when refitting them.

Hope ya find the issue and not take as long as i did lol
Thanks for the tips! I am having the extract same issue. Crank forever on first turn then starts straight up 2nd turn.

Question, do you know where the wiring for glow plugs returns to ? I believe there is a glow plug module hidden somewhere. I’d like to carry out a continuity test.
Moonhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 19:50   #14
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshack View Post

Thanks
James
fix it now. there is nothing worse than fixing cars when the weather is cold.and wet
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 17:17   #15
tonygreen1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonhammer View Post
Thanks for the tips! I am having the extract same issue. Crank forever on first turn then starts straight up 2nd turn.

Question, do you know where the wiring for glow plugs returns to ? I believe there is a glow plug module hidden somewhere. I’d like to carry out a continuity test.
Your problem of starting on second try may be air in the fuel system. What may be happening is that if you have air in the fuel pipe leading to the fuel pump, then the fuel pump is pumping air for the first try and at the same time the pumped air is cooling the glow plugs - so when the fuel does eventually reach the injector the glow plugs are cold and it does not start.
When you try to start the second time, and warm the glow plugs, you have already 'primed' the fuel system and injectors with fuel, so it starts.
I had this issue on an old Mondeo. When I figured out what was happening all I done every morning was immediately start turning the engine over without the glow plug delay, then when the engine tried to start that signified fuel was reaching the injectors, and I'd then switch the ignition off for a few seconds, then turn ignition on and let the glow plugs warm up, then turn the engine over and it would start first time.
It may not be your problem but give it a try.
If it is air in your system air normally get into hose connections/filter joints etc and can be traced if you put clear diesel resistant tubing on- you can some times see an air pocket at the highest point in the morning when the car has been left standing all night. When I had the problem above, the leak was in the old 'jerk' pump gaskets so I wasn't going go messing with that pump.
tonygreen1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonygreen1966 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 19:52   #16
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonhammer View Post

The glow plug relay is mounted forward of the air filter box, very easily accessible.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 02:47   #17
Moonhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreen1966 View Post
Your problem of starting on second try may be air in the fuel system. What may be happening is that if you have air in the fuel pipe leading to the fuel pump, then the fuel pump is pumping air for the first try and at the same time the pumped air is cooling the glow plugs - so when the fuel does eventually reach the injector the glow plugs are cold and it does not start.
When you try to start the second time, and warm the glow plugs, you have already 'primed' the fuel system and injectors with fuel, so it starts.
I had this issue on an old Mondeo. When I figured out what was happening all I done every morning was immediately start turning the engine over without the glow plug delay, then when the engine tried to start that signified fuel was reaching the injectors, and I'd then switch the ignition off for a few seconds, then turn ignition on and let the glow plugs warm up, then turn the engine over and it would start first time.
It may not be your problem but give it a try.
If it is air in your system air normally get into hose connections/filter joints etc and can be traced if you put clear diesel resistant tubing on- you can some times see an air pocket at the highest point in the morning when the car has been left standing all night. When I had the problem above, the leak was in the old 'jerk' pump gaskets so I wasn't going go messing with that pump.
Hi Tony, yes I've read about your Mondeo problem in another post. I did an experiment by priming the low-pressure fuel system several times prior to the first crank by it made no difference. I would expect air pockets in the low-pressure system to clear back to the tank line after 10 or so seconds of priming. In my case it made no difference unfortunitely...
Moonhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moonhammer For This Useful Post:

Tags
cold starting, d5 engine, won't start, xc90