Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fan clutch fault?

Views : 815

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2021, 14:30   #1
JDW3696

Default Fan clutch fault?

Hello all
The fan on my car goes at full speed at all times. My understanding is that it should only get going on full speed when the cars engine is very hot.
The car has got Evans waterless coolant so can't overheat like a normal car would unless there isn't enough in it.
Does this sound like my fan clutch is knackered? Is there a way of fixing it or should I just replace it? What are peoples views on electric fans or shall I just stick to standard and replace the fan clutch if needs be.
Thanks again
Joe
JDW3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 14:40   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW3696 View Post
Hello all
The fan on my car goes at full speed at all times. My understanding is that it should only get going on full speed when the cars engine is very hot.
The car has got Evans waterless coolant so can't overheat like a normal car would unless there isn't enough in it.
Does this sound like my fan clutch is knackered? Is there a way of fixing it or should I just replace it? What are peoples views on electric fans or shall I just stick to standard and replace the fan clutch if needs be.
Thanks again
Joe
What car have you ? It defaults to fast if the sensors cant be interpreted ..

Evans is widely known as a con , It is extremely expensive and can be dangerous if your engine gets up to 180C without boiling ... Your cooling system is utterly adequate with normal Volvo coolant otherwise you have a fault that needs fixing of course ..

from what you say it sounds like it may have a mechanical viscous clutch fan . it should run full speed after you start from cold and then after some seconds should idle around quietly ..
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 14:48   #3
TonyS9
Premier Member

The fan should only engage on a very hot day if you are stopped for a few minutes, it sounds like a bus when you go up the revs a bit.

I do know the evan coolant is not as conductive as water, so maybe the engine and rad is getting hotter. Still, I have used this with the standard fan on the track in my B230FT 360 and it doesn't engage that I notice (360 fan is 34 yrs old has similar coupling), it does get quite hot idling and at high speed, but just about keeps in it control.

You could try lubricating the centre where the spring is, but otherwise I would just replace it. A good used unit should be ok, I've never seen one fail.

Electric fans are apparently better in theory, but I don't think there is much difference in lost power to a viscous coupled, and in a moving car. There are some erroneuos comparative tests done on fixed engines measuring power loss but you can ignore them, they are not representative of a moving vehicle.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 14:51   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What Clan said ^^^^^

Dump that useless Evans stuff before it causes leaks left, right and centre and either use the correct Volvo ethylene glycol or an good aftermarket ethylene glycol antifreeze.

ON NO ACCOUNT WHATSOEVER USE OAT COOLANT!!!!!

As for your fan, try turning it by hand when cold, it shoudl turn fairly easily. With the engine hot, try turning it again, it should have more resistance to turning. If not, you probably need a new viscous clutch or would be better off converting to an electric fan. The electric fan is quiet unless it's running and makes the car a much more pleasant place to be, the engine warms up quicker and without the drag of the fan, is livelier too.

In this weather, unless you do either a lot of town driving or motorway immediately followed by town driving, you won't even need the cooling fan unless there is a problem with your cooling system.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 14:53   #5
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
What car have you ? It defaults to fast if the sensors cant be interpreted ..

Evans is widely known as a con , It is extremely expensive and can be dangerous if your engine gets up to 180C without boiling ... Your cooling system is utterly adequate with normal Volvo coolant otherwise you have a fault that needs fixing of course ..

from what you say it sounds like it may have a mechanical viscous clutch fan . it should run full speed after you start from cold and then after some seconds should idle around quietly ..
I think its a bit unfair the describe it as a con, I tried both water and Evans in my 360 with B230FT. Water runs cooler but at more pressure that the 360 cooling system was designed for so I went back to Evans and engineered in some more cooling.

Evans last forever, doesn't corrode your engine and runs at lower pressure, you pays your money and makes your choice.
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 15:03   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
I think its a bit unfair the describe it as a con, I tried both water and Evans in my 360 with B230FT. Water runs cooler but at more pressure that the 360 cooling system was designed for so I went back to Evans and engineered in some more cooling.

Evans last forever, doesn't corrode your engine and runs at lower pressure, you pays your money and makes your choice.
There are several threads on here with people running Evans in 7/9xx and having problems with leaks and overheating Tony. There have been many occasions of Evans causing problems, even with the new, allegedly improved version. Might be ok for racing but not for a road car.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 16:12   #7
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
There are several threads on here with people running Evans in 7/9xx and having problems with leaks and overheating Tony. There have been many occasions of Evans causing problems, even with the new, allegedly improved version. Might be ok for racing but not for a road car.
Track use has higher requirements than road use, but to be fair with the expensive of the fluid I use standard water based cooling in the 940. In my case its more that its suitable for my modified 360.

I have hade leaks, HG failure and corrosion with water based in the 940, but the root cause was something other than than the fluid. It still leaks a little over months.
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 16:58   #8
JDW3696

Thankyou for your advice. Thats interesting. I thought it was a bonus. Strangely enough it is leaking from the thermostat housing. Might replace it. I have the b230e. Will see how it turns at cold and hot but at the moment it's on all the time so might look down the electric fan route.
On running issues which some of you have kindly helped before it is still lumpy on idle. The garage gave back all the hc readings and emissions as spot on but said there is an air leak somewhere. Sprayed it around the intake and idle changed. I narrowed it down to what I believe is the thermal timer. I sprayed around there and engine idled smoother. I believe its the thermal sensor. Brown sensor with two leads going into it at the rear of the engine on the rhs under the intake manifold. Has a black boot covering it. Would this cause poor idle if it is faulty? Any ideas?
Thanks
Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to JDW3696 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 19:11   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW3696 View Post
Thankyou for your advice. Thats interesting. I thought it was a bonus. Strangely enough it is leaking from the thermostat housing. Might replace it. I have the b230e. Will see how it turns at cold and hot but at the moment it's on all the time so might look down the electric fan route.
On running issues which some of you have kindly helped before it is still lumpy on idle. The garage gave back all the hc readings and emissions as spot on but said there is an air leak somewhere. Sprayed it around the intake and idle changed. I narrowed it down to what I believe is the thermal timer. I sprayed around there and engine idled smoother. I believe its the thermal sensor. Brown sensor with two leads going into it at the rear of the engine on the rhs under the intake manifold. Has a black boot covering it. Would this cause poor idle if it is faulty? Any ideas?
Thanks
Joe
What were the emissions figures they gave you?

Old Mar 5th, 2021, 19:41   #10
JDW3696

Sorry. Can't remember now. A friend plugged it in as a favour this morning.
Should have asked.