Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warning re Volvo Gathering at Bentley Sunday

Views : 1762

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2015, 19:15   #1
Triple-S
How Old?

Default Warning re Volvo Gathering at Bentley Sunday

If you are driving south down the A22 through East Grinstead to get to Bentley for the annual Gathering, beware of possible delays in the town due new gas mains being installed. They have 4-way lights there and today the jams were humungus in the rush hour.

Then on the 21st is the London - Brighton bike ride, which means lots of road closures from Merstham to Turners Hill at least. Traffic can cross their route along the A25 eastbound but the website didn't say if one can drive south from Turners Hill (as I will have to).

If one lives NW of Bentley their route has to be crossed somewhere - I am still looking to be sure I don't end up going down what is a huge cul-de-sac !

Perhaps your satnav can tell you if your route is OK.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 19:59   #2
bob12
bob12

I just wish I could quickly find a detailed route of the bike ride as I shall be going to Isfield am and subsequently to Bentley. My usual route is A281/A24/A272 via Bolney, Cuckfield,Haywards Heath, and on.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2015, 20:54   #3
Triple-S
How Old?

Bob - I searched via google and found what is best described as a written route for onlookers, but it still doesn't show roads actually closed because of the ride. I know they do that at Smallfield, as a shift-working friend who lives there has to leave his car a couple of roads away so he can do the early shift and get access to his car - he lives down a cul-de-sac.
Every time I look up Turners hill for road closures all I get is local restaurant details !

P
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 09:33   #4
akita
I've Been Banned

This might help Paul, for Turners Hill

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...Pa2r1PEbAqHjNQ
akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 09:36   #5
akita
I've Been Banned

This may help, this shows the bike ride route

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...xX4zTQo4SQPxkg
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 09:41   #6
bob12
bob12

Here's the link to a very good map of the route.

http://www.gpsies.com/mapOnly.do;jse...reenLeave=true

When will the gas road works ever finish in the 'East Grindstead' area. They were going a year or more ago and the traffic was horrendous!! That's why I often go via Turner's Hill, but that is directly on the route ... no way!!

Having looked at the map it goes right through Haywards Heath crossing the main A 272 east/west route at the bottom of town. I shall try and cross it somewhere else as it is bound to be stuffed down past the shops and up to the roundabout.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 09:42   #7
bob12
bob12

'snap'
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 09:47   #8
akita
I've Been Banned

HaHa two great minds, Jen
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 10:10   #9
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Having done the London-Brighton several times, I recall Turner's Hill being a major stopping off point for refreshments.

I'll be doing this ride again in 2017, the 30th anniversary of my first L to B; on the same bike and with the same friends.

Hope Bentley is a good one, sure it will be.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 12:31   #10
Triple-S
How Old?

Thanks Jen and Bob for sharing my concern, but it seems all those links don't actually advise us obviously rare motorists which actual roads will have to be closed for just that day. Much as I like cycling, and do consider safety, it does seem odd to me that "they" don't advise alternative routes.
I realise our needs that day are in a minority, but I'd have hated living round Dorking when all the roads were closed for that Surrey section of the Tour de France: how does one get to work or run a business? Life has to go on despite some interests - they don't shut Epsom for the Derby or Silverstone for the big races after all.
I too am considering using the A272 through Haywards Heath - after all, they must surely keep that road open and have a marshalled crossing there? Why is no info available on avoiding such motoring disruptions?

P
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post: