Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I must admit, I'm a bit bored of my T5.

Views : 3769

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2019, 22:11   #61
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
polestar have been volvos motorsport partners for the last 20 years and volvo bought them out!
I don't suppose you know about the Polestar super cars that are out now either ?

It is pretty clear by the above comments that people have a lot of research to do here.
Historical overview of Polestar....
1996: Flash Engineering was founded in Sweden to race the Volvo Touring Cars in the Swedish Touring Car Championship (STCC). The first car was the Volvo 850 Super Touring, build by Tom Walkinshaw Racing (TWR)

If you then Google that guy...
Tom Walkinshaw Racing (TWR) was a motor racing team and engineering firm founded in 1976, in Kidlington, near Oxford, England by touring car racer Tom Walkinshaw.

The company initially handled privateer work before entering works touring car racers for manufacturers such as Mazda and Rover. However, TWR became most closely associated with Jaguar, a relationship which started in 1982 with the successful entry of the Jaguar XJS into the European Touring Car Championship, chalking up a number of wins that year. The relationship continued and by 1988, TWR-Jaguar had taken its first Le Mans victory in a V12-powered XJR-9. Further success followed with a Le Mans win in 1990.

Flash Racing then rebranded as Polestar in 2005 when Volvo got involved.

That lead chap that formed the 'todays' Polestar was a boggo car tuner for many brands of cars, much like Shark was.....Funny that.....

They're absolutely no different from today's Volvo tuning experts outside of Polestar, only they have the Polestar/Volvo brand and can charge an insane amount as a result.

Motorolas top phone - £500
Apples top phone - £1200

Same hardware inside only one rocks an Apple logo which warrants another £700 - Much like the Polestar badge, it's all in the marketing
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 00:22   #62
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post

It is pretty clear by the above comments that people have a lot of research to do here.
Lol yes I agree so you should defenitly hop to it then!

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 00:29   #63
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Dom - block mod you refer to? Is that to prevent cracking liners or something different? How is it done, I havent heard many people doing it tbh, un less they were going extreme tuning.
Yeh man that's because there a lot of the T5 members on volvotuning go straight to shem or Tim William's. These guys are experts with these engines and the maps and really know what they are doing. You will see even the focus st guys do it as well, even the focus tuning sites recommend it.

With extreme tuning it's our pistons and rods that will go.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 10:22   #64
StatusRed
Premier Member

I'm guessing it depends what you use the car for.. The 9-5 Aero I had, had 275BHP but still felt slow around the city because of how big and heavy it was but on the motorway you'd feel like you're driving a spaceship..

If you want to zip around a town / city a hot hatch would probably feel a lot faster and entertaining.

And then again something like an MX-5 or MR2 is going to feel the most entertaining around B roads in the countryside... All depends on the roads you're driving on tbh.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 11:26   #65
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Yeh man that's because there a lot of the T5 members on volvotuning go straight to shem or Tim William's. These guys are experts with these engines and the maps and really know what they are doing. You will see even the focus st guys do it as well, even the focus tuning sites recommend it.

With extreme tuning it's our pistons and rods that will go.
Pardon my ignorance but what exectly is involved in doing such mod? Engine out & full disassembly or wha?
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 11:41   #66
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what exectly is involved in doing such mod? Engine out & full disassembly or wha?
As I understand, head off and thin metal shims placed between each cylinder bore/sleeve/liners.

https://mattlewismotorsportonline.co...use-3116-p.asp
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 11:51   #67
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
As I understand, head off and thin metal shims placed between each cylinder bore/sleeve/liners.

https://mattlewismotorsportonline.co...use-3116-p.asp
Yep spot on.

It's a piece of cake to do and the parts costs is only about a fiver, just a few thin sheets of metal.

Just annoying you have to take the whole head off to do it, which isn't so quick and easy and adds many hours of labour.

EDIT: Stolen from Doms Flickr (hope you don't mind)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151410...4/48092196392/

You can see the sheet metal between the thin cylinder liners in that picture of his build.

And again here in between cylinder 1 and 2

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151410...4/48092196627/

Last edited by FunkyMelon; Aug 21st, 2019 at 11:56.
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 11:55   #68
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Yep spot on.

It's a piece of cake to do and the parts costs is only about a fiver, just a few thin sheets of metal.

Just annoying you have to take the whole head off to do it, which isn't so quick and easy and adds many hours of labour.
Yea, I see now, thanks. Damn, hate jobs like that where actual issue cost is a fraction of the "getting there" cost... (hello exhaust manifold or fuel pump on AWD)...
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 13:06   #69
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

You really need someone who knows what they're doing with regards to resetting the VVT and getting both the headgasket and camcover gasket back on correctly.

Definitely worth combining with a timing belt change.
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 13:55   #70
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
Polestar have the benefit of access to all of the design specs of every part of the engine; do you think Rica or Shark know, care about, or even have the means to calculate the turbine speed of the turbo to avoid overspeeding it?

Polestar also have access to OEM level calibration tools and testing environments, rather than "drive a couple of thousand miles and if it doesn't go bang then it's fine" testing that aftermarket tuners have to rely on. I am sure none of them even have an engine dyno, much less proper CFD simulation software to have the first idea what's really going on in the combustion chamber. Do they have the software to accurately calculate torque spikes and the means to then measure them so they know that they are not doing long term damage to the DMF and gearbox?

I'm afraid that if you think the work of aftermarket tuners can even come comes close to the quality of an OEM or in house tuner (Polestar) calibration then you do not have the first idea what is involved in modern powertrain calibration.

So yes the Polestar maps are more expensive, and with a lower power output, but given my experience of "reputable" tuners it's the only option I'd consider now.
No offence, but I think your imagination of the aftermarket world of tuning is somewhat myopic - yes there are shady people offering 'low cost remapping' on Facebook Marketplace and there are plenty of tuners out there who get it wrong (but in the public eye more often get named and shamed by the disgruntled customer), but there are many, many out there who have a high regard and reputation. If you've been stung then I somewhat empathise, but when I broke up with my first girlfriend it didn't deter me from finding another!

So if Joe Bloggs doesn't want to pay 'Only £695 for a discounted Polestar upgrade' from the pulpit of the Volvo marketing team and would rather pay at least half of that for an equivocal and if not better remap then why have your pants pulled down and for what? So you can have a 'quality assurance' certificate, a correct software checksum, and a Polestar badge worth £12?

To imply that Shark and RICA did not care about customers cars or had the requisite calibration equipment for the cars they tune is dismissively and ignorantly presumptive, they both have (or had in Shark's case) dynometers, my car was tuned by Shark and had been on it's Bapro dynometer, they owned several Volvos over the years and tested and tuned them extensively, as did RICA. Shark's mission statement was that they aimed to provide tuning for vehicles that was within safe limits at the expense of willy waving peak figures.

One point about RICA and it's famous Sports Tune for the D5 - people were uploading these maps onto the Euro III D5 which had indequate clutches and intercoolers to support the power and torque increases. That was a mistake on their behalf for offering that particular map to those customers, but alas they are still going and providing very good remaps for Volvos and beyond.