Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Major oil leak

Views : 364

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2023, 13:19   #1
Vesnic

Question Major oil leak

Hi, 3 weeks ago I have bought a used V50 for 2200EUR (1.6 TD D4164T, 80kW, 2008, VIN: YV1MW765282403530, 276kkm). The owner did only 15kkm in the last year and have driven the car very little. The oil filter, oil, air filter have been changed on a yearly basis. Otherwise the interior and body work is in pristine condition.

A couple of days ago I noticed the smell of burning oil and the AC not cooling the cabin (it was blowing but not cooling). I opened the hood and sure enough I found lots of oil leaking underneath. Oil is leaking from everywhere actually; well - out of every engine seal (crank, cam, injectors etc.). I have called three official mechanic shops and they have all told me it is pointless saving the engine, might as well buy a new engine and replace everything along with it OR dump the car and buy a new one.

I suspect PCV blockage as I have put latex glove on top of oil cap and it had inflated instead of sucking it in. I have checked the engine block breather membrane today and it seems fine. I also suspect the AC is not working since the belt does not spin the AC compressor because of so much oil. Notice also the fuel injector no.3 is oily and others are clean & also i suspect the cylinder of the leaky injector is not producing any power. The engine is not producing any weird noises and it is not popping blue smoke in the back of the car. Also I have collected a lot of sticky black oil goo out of main crank pulley.

What do you think, am I missing something?
Should I replace all the seals, pcv, belt etc. / sell the car / buy a new engine?

Video:
https://youtube.com/shorts/twg8gXyuq...b55mtQBIawQHJD
Vesnic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil leak, pcv, v50, v50 1.6d