Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 door changing fun

Views : 355

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2023, 19:46   #1
Paulk

Default 940 door changing fun

Hi folks thought i might share some issues I came across changing my drivers door this weekend.

When I purchased the care it had rust at the bottom of the drivers door but it cane with a very good secondhand replacement ready to fit when I was able.

Initially all went well (it did take me a while to figure out how to remove the lock barrel - but I overcame that in the end)

The old door came off relatively easily - I did have to remove the upper locating lug so I could bolt on the upper hinges - surprisingly it was a fairly good fit requiring minimal adjustment - I must have been lucky with this part!

The issues began when I started testing the remote control for locking and unlocking - and setting the alarm.

First attempt all doors but the drivers door locked - however when I tried pressing the remote unit again there was a faint click but the doors did not unlock. I did set off the alarm multiple times in testing as I was often unsure whether or not the alarm was set!

Further investigation showed that the doors would all lock and unlock when I sued the key in the drivers door. It appeared that the actuator in the drivers door was not working causing the issue.

Not a problem I though - I will use the known good one from the door I took off. Unfortunately I got exactly the same result - I did notice however that the drivers door lock button was moving a tiny amount.

I felt further along the mechanism ind it appeared to be rather loose.

I then went to look at the old door and noticed that it had a screw not present on the replacement. See first attachment

This was holding part of the mechanism in place see pic 2.

Once this had been fitted to the replacement door the remote locking and unlocking all worked as Volvo had intended - just took me while to track it down!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (130.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Pic2.jpg (147.4 KB, 17 views)
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 01:51   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

Glad you managed to get your new door on. It sounds a bit of a saga. Very satisfying to have it all working in the end though.

If it’s any consolation the outer wing is much simpler, if you haven’t done that already.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 17:08   #3
Paulk

I haven't done the wing yet hopefully this weekend
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 18:07   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

Here's a link to some pictures and tips from when I did the wing on the red one.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=305218

A tube of black polyurethane adhesive (e.g. Tiger Seal) is useful to have handy.

It may be worth investigating why the rust has got a hold behind the wing. I recently discovered on both my V90 and the red 940 that the nearside wheel arch liner stud had corroded away from the inner wing leaving a bit of a hole. If this has happened the wheel arch liner will no longer be a snug fit and may be allowing water and worse to get trapped behind it.

See here for a quick "emergency" fix. It really needs a bit of welding, but this helps in the short-medium term.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330959

Good luck!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 19:45   #5
Paulk

I have just had a quick look the liner appears to be firm but there is a gap between the bottom of the liner and the top of the rubber seal between the inner wing and the wing. (see attachment)

This gap is not present on the offside I presume these seals probably aren't available but I could perhaps glue a firm piece of rubber to the seal to close the gap?

Or is there a better solution?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liner gap (1).jpg (144.3 KB, 11 views)
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 12:16   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

It looks to me as though there is a bit of a gap there normally but it looks more pronounced there. Is that plastic seal attached to the bumper? Maybe the bumper has got pushed slightly out of position. There is perhaps a bit of a telltale that it has slipped down about 1/4 inch.

You may have to remove, or at least loosen, the bumper in order to access the two bolts behind it. It might be possible to adjust/correct its position when fitting it back. Or, as you suggest, add an extra bit of rubber or plastic onto that seal.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: