Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D24 Diesel emision failure

Views : 1116

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 01:17   #1
david gordon

I have just bought a 940 GLE 2.4 diesel estate 1995 year with 94,000 miles. The car failed its last two MOTs on emisions and I have found a note from a Volvo dealer stating compresion down on 3 cylinders "new engin advised". I am wondering whether there could be another explanation. There is no excessive crankcase pressure and the car starts fine but chucks out black smoke on hard acceleration. I am thinking of changing the injectors but am loathed to throw good money after bat. Has anyone had a similar problem. Any help/advice would be apreciated.

Thanks. David
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:40   #2
George Holmer

Is there a great deal of oil in the turbo? It could be as simple as blown turbo seals.

1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 23:51   #3
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: D24 Diesel emision failure

The Green Book gives the following reasons for excessive black smoke as 1) Injection Pump sucking in air via fuel line or pump drive shaft seal. 2) Injection timing incorrect. 3) Injection pump defective. 4) Hose between intake manifold and smoke limiter has vibrated loose or cracked. 5) Air filter blocked.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 09:04   #4
George Holmer

He tells me the took the car back as the engine was dead.

1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 18:55   #5
fwb44

If he ever gets another 940 TD, tell him to have the EGR mod. done - simply remove the exhaust gas recirculating pipe and blank off either end, and there'll be no more black smoke. I got 250,000 smoke-free miles out of one this way, passed the MoT every time, absolutely no loss in performance or m.p.g. The exhaust gas recirculating pipe was intended for petrol engined cars [as a Volvo service manager explained to me] but Volvo had to be seen to be applying it across the range of course ...
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 23:26   #6
david gordon

Thank you all for your responses. I have returned the car but feel the problem was a blown head gasket, as advised by Peter. There was emulsion in the tube from the flame trap to the turbo and a vast quantity of oil in the air hoses both to and from the intercooler.

I am in the market for a good 940 diesel 7 seat estate is anyone has one for sale please drop me a line.

Thanks again for your help.

David
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 20:08   #7
fwb44

Decent selection on Autotrader at the mo (unusually), from £4K for a 95 M 78K auto estate (trade) down to average £2K for older higher mileage private sales, worth a look perhaps? www.autotrader.co.uk