Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 2.0 n/a to 2.3 b230fk turbo swap

Views : 921

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2020, 11:56   #11
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Most important thing is did you add the resistors into the wiring loom to work with the turbo injectors? If not the ECU drivers will have blown and hold the injectors open constant. Rather than messing with the wiring I prefer to use 850 T5 injectors.

The flywheel position is also another common error, you can check just by removing the starter motor. Remove starter, set to TDC and you should be able to feel the blank spot where 2 holes are not drilled
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 12:22   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I was thinking on this over the weekend and it seems to me you've bought a pig in a poke.

I honestly think you'd be better off cutting your losses and selling it as is and then buying an estate with the B230FT engine (30bhp more than the FK to start with) that actually runs to start with.

Otherwise you may go to all thr touble and expense of buying a nice new clutch kit and fitting it and then finding you still can't start the car!

Also to pick up on Ddais point about the blown driver stages in the ECU, if they are indeed blown they won't open the injectors at all as they won't switch to earth as they should. As a general rule of thumb, if a MOS-FET blows, it goes open circuit therefore won't fire the injectors at all

Finding another correct ECU and then fitting it without blowing it is another matter entirely. Could easily cost anything up to about £300 to sort the ECU if it is FUBAR plus at a guess, £200 for the clutch and it still may not even start - that's £500 that would make a start towards a running 945 with B230FT plus whatever you sold this non-runner for - could easily get you into a scruffy 945 with B230FT and if you plan on drifiting it, i daresay you'll be stripping the interior out so one with a scruffy interior wouldn't bother you too much. A nice interior could be sold to get some funds back as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 12:56   #13
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

on these a blown ECU tends to hold the injectors open constant.
You need to check if teh injectors are firing or staying closed/open all the time as the very first step.

You can pick up a used ECU for under £100
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo 940 engine swap