Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Project: Converting 1.8 into a 1.9D

Views : 10302

Replies : 141

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2014, 20:47   #1
Matt86
Premier Member

Default Project: Converting 1.8 into a 1.9D

Righty I'm just starting to get around to doing the prep work on swapping over the 1.8 shell with the diesel one. Won't really kick off until next month as I've got a few tools and parts to get beforehand but though I'd start it off now as any advice on parts to start replacing now before it's in place would be very valuable.

So first up we have the Cat D 1.9D T3

and the reasons behind the bodywork being useless

Although it might not look to bad behind that bumper and under the rear of the car it's a complete mess. Will get a picture up once I start dismantling.

and the lovely shell it's going into

Although the 1.8 is pretty solid it's got the usual VVT issue and the lifters need adjusting which although I'm happy enough to do I prefer diesel engines and considering my annual mileage I'd prefer to have a diesel so sod it

So yeah my plan is literally the entire interior will be moved into the 1.8 including the wiring looms and the engine will be moved out the 1.9 into the 1.8 as well.

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt86 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 20:59   #2
244T
VOC Member

Goodness me.......

That is quite a project!!!!!

Please keep us informed on your progress!!!!

Best of luck,

'90 740 GLT: Standard car
'80 240 DL: Lots of bits and bobs inc turbo intercooler etc etc
244T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 21:03   #3
gatos
Premier Member

I am waiting to see the results Matt, as I am very seriously thinking of doing the same thing with my newly acquired V40. ALready have a spare diesel engine, but I am missing all the looms. I destroyed them a few months ago getting parts for another member

If there are any tools you need, feel free to ask and I can send you some with myHermes. As long as I can have them back when you are done.....

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 21:19   #4
Matt86
Premier Member

Thanks Andrew, will do. I'm actually quite looking forward to it. Expect that'll chance halfway through.

Cheers fella. I know I need to get hold of a torque wrench as I haven't even got one lol! All these years without using one... oops! Need to get a universal puller to get the hubs/spindles off and some spring compressors to as i'll swap over the complete suspension if they're different sizes. Going to buy an engine stand as i'll do all the work on the diesel engine and get it spick and span before it goes back in and i'll leave the petrol on it and probably either sell it if someone needs one otherwise it'll be broken for parts. Also going to buy the Volvo timing tool kit to redo all the cam belt system.

Tomorrow I'm planning on draining the fuel tank. Still looking into that, VIDAs method isn't feasible as I haven't got the pump system it recommends. So hoping to find an easier method with the tools I have, don't really want to drop a fuel tank that's 3/4s full!

Car Photos
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 21:25   #5
gatos
Premier Member

You can do without a universal puller to remove the driveshafts.

I have two torque wrenches 8-60Nm and 40-200Nm. 36mm hubnut and a balljoint splitter.

Or if it helps, I can get you a Halfords Torque wrench for half the price with my Trade card. They are excellent quality and lifetime guarantee. So feel free to ask what you want.

Nullius in Verba
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 21:32   #6
Matt86
Premier Member

Certainly will borrow the balljoint splitter, 36mm hubnut and the smaller torque wrench off you next month if that's alright. I'll deffo be buying a bigger torque wrench through Halfords with you then

I can always come collect them when I come get that exhaust

Car Photos
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 21:36   #7
GaryS40
VOC Member

Talking

Looking forward to regular updates on this, Matt.

Edit: You could repair your grille with a section of the one from the diesel car, glued into place.

I see you will soon have an electric driver's seat too!

Best of luck, mate.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.

Last edited by GaryS40; Feb 8th, 2014 at 21:39. Reason: Additional text added.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 21:43   #8
Matt86
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS40 View Post
Looking forward to regular updates on this, Matt.

Edit: You could repair your grille with a section of the one from the diesel car, glued into place.

I see you will soon have an electric driver's seat too!

Best of luck, mate.

Gary

Yeah I'm going to give that a go. That grille on the diesel is completely wrecked as well. Although you can't see quite tell from the picture. The bonnet is actually wedged against the release catch so you need someone to pull the bonnet release and lift the bonnet to release it. Then to pull the grill forward to get to the bonnet release switch as it's stuck in the bottom of the grill.

Oh and yes the seat is heated and electric. Nice change to the cold manual one I have now lol

Car Photos
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 21:44   #9
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
Certainly will borrow the balljoint splitter, 36mm hubnut and the smaller torque wrench off you next month if that's alright. I'll deffo be buying a bigger torque wrench through Halfords with you then

I can always come collect them when I come get that exhaust
Not a problem Matt.

I bought the 8-60Nm from Halfords and I the bigger 40-200Nm is an RS one. But it is absolutely identical to the Halfords one. When you come over, we can go down to Halfords and get any other bits you might need

Nullius in Verba
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 21:46   #10
Matt86
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Not a problem Matt.

I bought the 8-60Nm from Halfords and I the bigger 40-200Nm is an RS one. But it is absolutely identical to the Halfords one. When you come over, we can go down to Halfords and get any other bits you might need
Coolies cheers fella sounds like a plan.

Car Photos