Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Flashing parking lights

Views : 1297

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2011, 18:54   #1
Zul

Default Flashing parking lights

Just bought a V40 1999 with just 10,000 on the clock.Very happy with and drives really well.One slight niggle! though. I can't lock the car with the fob as the parking lights keep flashing and don't turn off. It works fine when I use the key to lock the door.The fob unlocks without any problems. would really appreciate anyone's advice,help!
Zul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 21:12   #2
DWM
VOC Member

You have a fault in the alarm system. The flashing indicators indicate that the alarm is going off. It's doing so silently, though, probably because the siren itself is faulty. The first step is to replace the siren; it's under the battery I think. This can in some cases cure the problem altogether.

There are other reasons than this why the system can go wrong, including faulty bonnet/boot switches, and damaged wiring under the radiator. But replacing the siren is reckoned to be the best place to start with the symptoms you describe.

The reason why it's OK when you lock with the key is that locking with the key doesn't set the alarm - only locking with the fob sets the alarm.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 22:55   #3
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Perhaps try and press the alarm button on the fob (if you have it) and see if you get deafened lol also perhaps check the bonnet catch alarm button incase its been knocked or damaged causing the alarm to think that the bonnet is open

2003 Volvo V40 1.9D Sport - MPG below

m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 06:34   #4
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

First thing I'd be checking is the bonnet switch. Make sure it is operating OK, liberal sprays with cleaner( WD40) and operate the metal tag back and forward till you can hear/feel the contact being made.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 14:42   #5
kebab10
Premier Member

Default Flashing parking lights

I had this on the car when I had a V40. Sprayed a lot of WD40 on and around the bonne catch and the tiny switch and eventually got it to work. Also made sure the bonnet cable was well greased due to the tendency of them to snap causing all manner of "botherance".
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 15:02   #6
Zul

Default Flashing lights

Thank you all so much. I will try all that before I take it to the Volvo dealer.
Zul is offline   Reply With Quote