Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch replacement with Ford Mondeo part, high revs to MPH

Views : 2789

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2017, 14:54   #31
ash723

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
And they fitted a mondeo clutch on the wrong car? Oh dear.
They maintain its the right clutch for a volvo..
ash723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 18:38   #32
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash723 View Post
They maintain its the right clutch for a volvo..
A Focus clutch I could understand but a Mondeo clutch on our platform doesn't sound right at all.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 19:53   #33
ash723

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
A Focus clutch I could understand but a Mondeo clutch on our platform doesn't sound right at all.
Interestingly, they would not give me any paperwork for the 2nd clutch. But they did say that the supplier provided the wrong clutch and they had to send it back twice. They had my car for 2 days due to that "mix up". So it may actually be a focus clutch this time, we will never know
The Following User Says Thank You to ash723 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 07:41   #34
padder1956

The clutch has nothing to do with the engine revs. under normal conditions it just makes and breaks the drive in the drive train.
the parts used are compatible google the LUK part numbers, as for bedding that
does not apply to a clutch.
padder1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 12:06   #35
ash723

Quote:
Originally Posted by padder1956 View Post
The clutch has nothing to do with the engine revs. under normal conditions it just makes and breaks the drive in the drive train.
the parts used are compatible google the LUK part numbers, as for bedding that
does not apply to a clutch.
But if it was having the same symptoms (60mph, to 3k revs in 5th gear is what I am experiencing), then it must be slipping no?
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 14:37   #36
canis
Non Fragile

No, not necessarily.

You'll know a slipping clutch, I shall describe it...

You're travelling at 60mph on a flat motorway, you want to accellerate for whatever reason (overtaking a lorry), you indicate and move over and press the accellerator to the floor still in 5th gear, and the revs rise but the car stays at approximately the same speed. It feels disconnected, you find you can rev the engine independently, you notice the RPM gauge can move around while the speed doesn't change. That is a slipping clutch.

If you cannot increase the revs except slowly whilst gaining speed, your clutch is not slipping.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 14:47   #37
canis
Non Fragile

I'll go further: if your clutch was slipping, as you say at 60mph pulling 3000rpm, you could just as easily find yourself reaching 6000rpm with only minor gains in speed. Usually the car will eventually "catch up" with the clutch, and snap back into a 1:1 ratio, it'll feel connected again and the throttle will feel like it's controlling speed again, until you give it some welly and it breaks free once more and you feel it slipping again.

The way you're talking, it sounds as if your vehicle speed and engine speed are never unconnected.

Have you ever driven an automatic? Ever noticed how uphill the engine revs more and downhill it revs less even though your vehicle speed hasn't changed? That's a similar experience to a slipping clutch. In a manual car, the engine speed and vehicle speed are ALWAYS a fixed ratio. Or it's slipping.

Hope this helps your diagnosis.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 21:50   #38
ash723

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
I'll go further: if your clutch was slipping, as you say at 60mph pulling 3000rpm, you could just as easily find yourself reaching 6000rpm with only minor gains in speed. Usually the car will eventually "catch up" with the clutch, and snap back into a 1:1 ratio, it'll feel connected again and the throttle will feel like it's controlling speed again, until you give it some welly and it breaks free once more and you feel it slipping again.

The way you're talking, it sounds as if your vehicle speed and engine speed are never unconnected.

Have you ever driven an automatic? Ever noticed how uphill the engine revs more and downhill it revs less even though your vehicle speed hasn't changed? That's a similar experience to a slipping clutch. In a manual car, the engine speed and vehicle speed are ALWAYS a fixed ratio. Or it's slipping.

Hope this helps your diagnosis.
yeah thats very useful actually, thank you. It seems to be as you describe it.

Tags
clutch, ford, gear, rpm, s40 2006