Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo introduces 112mph speed limit on all new models

Views : 3773

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2020, 09:21   #31
uro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Addict View Post
And what's so special about 180 km/h ?
Volvo´s assistant systems work only up to 180km/h. In order to reach their goal of no death, Volvo want´s us only to drive with active assistant systems. So Volvo has two possibilities:
1. Limit the Speed of the car to 180km/h
2. Invest in much more computing power etc. for a very small percentage of their customers.

They choose option 1.

Personally I am driving regularly on the German Autobahn and the times I drove 180 or more in the last 3 Years I owned the car are: once!
I use pilot assist nearly 100% of the time. My usual drive is 700km or more and I reach my destination relaxed instead of stressed from driving fast.
The actual time saved by driving faster is max 30min on those trips and it can be totally negated by having to refuel driving fast/not to refuel when driving slower. So while I get a bit melancholic about it in the end it´s no big deal.
Old May 26th, 2020, 09:32   #32
uro1

In all the excitement about the 180km/h 112mph Limit most people seemed to have overlooked that the OP was writing about 2 different systems.

1. The excessively discussed 112mph limit. (active in all now to be delivered cars)
2. As system to be introduced in 2022 that will limit the car automatically to the speed limit at the actual location the car is driving. This system is mandatory for all cars driving in Europe by a law introduced by the European Union last year I think.

Personally I am much more bothered by the second system. While it looks good on Paper I do not think the technik is already there. So far I get a lot of not updated speed warnings where Limits were removed but the database not updated. Then there are the positions where the system reads road signs from parallel running roads. I think we will see a lot of accidents where cars are slowed down for no reason and older cars without the system or cars with other databases have problems slowing down in time to hit them.
Old May 26th, 2020, 10:04   #33
Haldex
Premier Member

@Fursty Ferret

Sorry, it is US, not UK. Misread the url. Here’s an EU research: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_...peed_levels_en

I’d say it’s much more likely that someone is doing over 112mph/180kmh on a motorway, would you agree? Point being- the number of fatalities is significantly lower on motorways- regardless of whether your car is capped at 180 or 250kmh.

I’m with uro1 on this one.. Stats simply don’t support the theory that limiting cars at 180 will eliminate fatalities. But limiting speed below the operational speed of the safety assistance systems might help volvo reach the zero fatality goal.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 10:10   #34
xsaab
Master Member

THere are some very valid reasons for the 112mph speed limit, however I foresee this as the forerunner to the 100mph limit in 2026, the 70mph limit in 2030, a 50mph limit in 2032 for ICE vehicles and a 70mph limit for electric vehicles.

However drivers of electric vehicles will be encouraged to drive slower to maximise their driving range before needing to recharge the battery - so we will get a self inflicted max speed of 50mph for electric vehicles.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 10:19   #35
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Because 180 is the number you get when you convert the limiter speed of 112mph.
Yes, I get that ... as already mentioned by Snoodini. 180 is still just a random number much like 112 regardless of what it represents.
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 10:25   #36
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uro1 View Post
Volvo´s assistant systems work only up to 180km/h. In order to reach their goal of no death, Volvo want´s us only to drive with active assistant systems.
Fair enough... that makes sense, from Volvo's perspective.
Thanks for the info.
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 11:54   #37
oscillator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavi57 View Post
'When I get to the German Autobahn I drive as fast as the V90 D5 goes, which is around 245kph per speedo.'

I drive in Germany regularly, and there is no place where you can drive more then 150 for longer than 10 minutes. Too much traffic and works. Driving over 200 is only possible for short bursts off a few minutes.........so 180 is more than OK.
Not true - I drive to Dresden regularly and once you get 150km west of Dusseldorf it is often quite possible to drive over 180km/hr if the road is dry. Little traffic and 3 lanes much of the way.
I don't mind Mercedes restricting their cars to 155mph as I suspect very few people are capable of driving safely over that (and anyway if you take their driving course they will derestrict it), but 112 mph is ludicrously slow in some situations. I certainly won't be buying another Volvo if they won't derestrict it (Polestar?).
oscillator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 11:57   #38
oscillator

East of Dusseldorf! doh
oscillator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 13:04   #39
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Our normal German runs are to the states next to Benelux, so saving a significant amount of time to get there is impossible without breaking speed limits. Once there, though, and travelling through the country, we often take advantage of some of the three-lane derestricted autobahns where visibility is good. This doesn't save much time either, but it can be more fun.

Anyone here remember fun?

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2020, 13:21   #40
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
Our normal German runs are to the states next to Benelux, so saving a significant amount of time to get there is impossible without breaking speed limits. Once there, though, and travelling through the country, we often take advantage of some of the three-lane derestricted autobahns where visibility is good. This doesn't save much time either, but it can be more fun.

Anyone here remember fun?
yes everytine I get in my car . but fun isnt seeing instant death with one small false move ... That means no more fun EVER !