Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1997 850 - intermittent starting issue

Views : 1509

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2023, 22:45   #1
asdrewq

Default 1997 850 - intermittent starting issue

Hi All,

I've recently taken on ownership of a family members 1997 850 2.5 automatic estate that they've had for 20+ years.
It's a UK market car. I really enjoy driving it but it's covered 140k miles now & is fair to say it's not in the best condition.

I have a couple of issues:
- Intermittent starting issue - sometimes when starting, the engine catches & starts, but almost immediately dies again. It can take a few goes trying to stumble into life before it starts up & runs completely fine. It's not a battery issue - the cranking is strong.
The car does have a slightly dodgy ignition key switch in that you have to back the key off slightly once the engine is running, or various electrical things don't work (speedo, indicators, seatbelt warning flashers) - I have a replacement switch on order but it feels like the starting issue might be separate?

Does anyone have any ideas how I should go about diagnosing this/common causes?

The Green Lambda light is also on on the dashboard - I think this is the equivalent of an engine management light (although correct me if i'm wrong).
I tried using my generic OBD2 bluetooth reader in the socket in front of the gear lever but cannot get it to connect at all. Does anyone know if there is a specific tool/code reader that works with this age of OBD?

Thanks for any help - I'm completely new to Volvo's (I'm used to working on 1990s Japanese cars) and don't even have an owners manual with the car so am finding everything quite difficult to work out!
asdrewq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asdrewq For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 00:02   #2
Martin Cox
VOC Member

As you've already discovered, these cars are not fullly OBD2 compliant and most code readers won't return anything useful.

However the 850OBD2 app for Android phone with an ELM 327 Bluetooth Dongle should work. it's also inexpensive. Searching this forum for 850OBD2 should throw up some useful information.

Replacing the electrical part of the ignition switch should sort out most of the electrical issues you mention but you arre most probably correct about the starting issue being something else.

There is an antenna coil around the ignition switch that communicates with a chip in the key and is part of the immobiliser circuitry. If the ECU doesn't see the correct signal from the antenna, the engine will start but cut out almost immediately.

I'd start by checking the connection to the antenna coil and maybe consider replacing it. This is something of a stock fault and is a common cause of the symptoms you describe.

Hope this is of some help.

Martin.
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 01:35   #3
Baffler
Premier Member

Hello and welcome!

In addition to Martin's excellent advice remove and check the condition of the distributor cap and rotor arm. If fouled can cause poor starting and running issues.

Other usual suspects are a blocked fuel filter, fuel pump relay, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, engine coolant temp sensor but don't throw any parts at it until you have checked over and serviced all the hardware.

Ignigtion switch is a good place to start and once you have obtained the correct diagnostic tool it'll be interesting to see what fault codes are stored.

140k is only just run in

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 07:55   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

That's quite low mileage!

As per Martin's post, the ignition switch issue you describe is quite common on these, replacing the electrical part of the ignition switch is quite easy (must be, as I've done it) and will cure that problem.

The starting issue is classic symptoms of bad immobiliser antenna connections, (another common fault on these) - take the steering cowl off (you'll have to do that to replace the ignition switch anyway) and clean the contacts on the antenna ring plug very thoroughly (ideally with proper contact cleaner) and that will probably sort the problem. If not, then replace the ring, it's not expensive. Try cleaning it up first though, this usually works.

As above re. the engine management light, ordinary OBDII code readers won't work, so find/buy/make one that does, and post back here with the codes you get. Actually, when you get a reader that works, note down the codes, then clear them and see what comes back - you never know, it might be a historical code and might be fine now, but if a code comes back you know for sure that it's a current fault and we'll help you find it.

Reading the codes is important, otherwise you're just going to end up throwing parts at it, which is expensive and time consuming, and there's a chance you'll introduce another fault and make life even more complicated.

Have a good read through this forum, there's lots of really good advice, especially on preventative maintenance such as PCV system replacement, vacuum line replacement and cam belt replacement etc.

All the best

Last edited by Luxobarge; Sep 7th, 2023 at 07:59.
Luxobarge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luxobarge For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 10:51   #5
El Padrino

Hi asdrewq,

I bought this ODBII reader recently and it worked on my car (a 98 V70R). Should work on your 97 850 too as it states it works on cars built from 1996 -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175354423...3Avlp_homepage

I downloaded the Torque Pro app and it did connect to the car's ECU via the Bluetooth on my Android phone. Hope this helps.

PS: 140K is nothing. Mine has just clicked over 219K and still going strong.
El Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Padrino For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 16:21   #6
asdrewq

Thanks all, really useful information!

Just checking the OBD2 reader I have - it's a generic Chinese one which is labeled ELM327. It's a blue transparent cube-like thing that I think cost about £5 10 years ago so is probably just knackered.

I just remembered I also have a more expensive reader I had to buy to read codes on a Japanese Subaru - an OBDLink LX, so will give that a go too with the various apps before purchasing a new one.

Have to say, despite the niggles I really like the 850 and am glad to have stumbled into it!
Even though I guess the 2.5 non turbo automatic isn't the most desirable model, it wafts about very nicely & is really relaxing to drive, has fairly decent turn of speed, handling is pretty good IMO, the 5 cylinder makes a nice muted noise and all the glass area gives similar vibes to an old Range Rover. The AC is nice and cold too
asdrewq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asdrewq For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 16:29   #7
4x4
Premier Member

Not all ELM27 dongles are equal and not all will work on 850 cars
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 19:41   #8
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Worth checking that the gear selector contacts are clean:~
A search will give full details- but a quick answer is to move the lever selector through the working cycle to clean the inner brass contacts.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 21:42   #9
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Worth checking that the gear selector contacts are clean:~
A search will give full details- but a quick answer is to move the lever selector through the working cycle to clean the inner brass contacts.
Bob.
The OP's car is cranking, firing and then dying. A dodgy PNP switch would mean that it wouldn't even crank so I doubt it's this. Cheers
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 07:43   #10
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I'd have to go with the majority on this one
The phrase 'engine catches & starts, but almost immediately dies again' made me immediately think of the immobiliser antenna ring, I had it on mine and it is a quite distinctive non start, the antenna ring is in a plastic case which fits around the keyhole on the steering column and includes the light which comes on around the keyhole when the car is unlocked but the ignition isn't on. As a starting point it can sometimes be fixed simply by unplugging and replugging the ring a few times to clean up the contacts in the plug.
The dodgy ignition switch is a different but known problem which I've not had to do but I believe is cured by replacing the electrical switch part on the back of the ignition lock.
Lambda light as I recall does come on for a few minutes when the car is started as a 'service due' light, but if it stays on then you're into the world of diagnostics which as others have said a 97 850 may have an OBDII socket but it isn't necessarily fully compliant and may need other ways to read it.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post: