Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice wanted re purchase

Views : 837

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 15:10   #1
jagman
jagman

Default Advice wanted re purchase

Hi All,

I have wanted a P1800ES for many years and would now like to take the plunge as I have need of a more practical car. My queries are:-

Is the fuel injection system reliable? if not are the parts readily available?

Is the steering heavy? My old body is not what it used to be!

I would like to use the car 2 or 3 times a week for shopping and days out.

I am retired so do not cover a high mileage. Are they reliable? My current transport is a 77 Mercedes SL which is totally reliable but I am now past the stage I want open air motoring.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks, Barry
jagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 17:44   #2
stevo48
Premier Member

I'm surprised nobody has replied to your post, there are quite a few P1800 owners on the site so I will bump this post for you.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 18:26   #3
Bob Clark
Bob Clark

The 1800E or ES is a reliable car and ok to use as a daily driver. The fuel injection system is extremely relaible and all parts are available from Bosch but expensive. The steering is not heavy as long as the steering gear is in good condition and the steering box is not overtightened. A power steering conversion has just been made available for these cars, and 120's, but really it should not be needed. The biggest problem is getting in and out of these cars as they are low and you also sit very low in them. Being 6' 3'' I have to crawl out of mine. Not very practical if you are wearing a suit.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 20:23   #4
mike gilbert
Master Member

Yep it will do everything you need and be reliable and practical, but to be honest the drive is not in the same class as the Mercedes. Have a good loooong test drive in one - if you still want it and its in good condition, buy it.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 22:23   #5
B20F
Master Member

Two parts of the Djet injection system are no longer available new. That is the AAV (Auxiliary Air Valve) and the MAP sensor. The first can easily be replaced with an early electric one from a Volvo Kjet system. It controls the cold idle. But the MAP sensor can become a problem in the near future as it is essential for the functioning of the Djet. Those where also used by Porsche and Mercedes of the same period but not exchangable for whay I know. But good second hand MAPs are still available. And with some searching on the web NOS ones to. I have never had a problem with my '73 ES since I sorted out the years of neglect. The last 8 years (about 40kMLS) where trouble free. Never owned a car that would start so easy and reliable, no matter hot or cold, sun or snow. Two times a year she takes me to France and back(1000mls) without ever letting me down. So yes I think they are VERY reliable. (if well maintained ofcourse) But probably not as comfy as the Merc, but not bad either. You have to get used to them, definatly take a long testdrive as Mike advised. It's a very different driving experience from a SL. Just my 2p.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 08:57   #6
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

HI Barry,

I've sent you a PM with some details of a good ES for sale.

Some answers to your questions...

Is the fuel injection system reliable? if not are the parts readily available? As already answered above, yes, but can be very expensive. Wise to look out for second hand units.

Is the steering heavy? My old body is not what it used to be!
I have an electric power steering upgrade on my S. Its a brilliant system. Contact me if you'd like more details.

I am retired so do not cover a high mileage. Are they reliable?

A well looked after B20 with fuel injection is pretty bullet proof. Most mechanical parts (apart from some FI) are reasonably priced and easy to get hold of.

Hope this helps,

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 22:06   #7
P1800_Lover
VOC Member

I have found this thread extremely helpful as I too have recently decided to buy a P1800 coupe. So far I have had no luck as I want the very best (even though I'm willing to pay "through the nose" for it!) If anyone has any pointers as to who might help me in my search I would be very grateful. If the only way I can get "the best" is by restoring one to concours winning condition, then so be it, so any tips as to who the very best restorer is would also be much appreciated!
P1800_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 22:23   #8
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1800_Lover View Post
I have found this thread extremely helpful as I too have recently decided to buy a P1800 coupe. So far I have had no luck as I want the very best (even though I'm willing to pay "through the nose" for it!) If anyone has any pointers as to who might help me in my search I would be very grateful. If the only way I can get "the best" is by restoring one to concours winning condition, then so be it, so any tips as to who the very best restorer is would also be much appreciated!
There's one on auto trader at the moment.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 08:31   #9
P1800_Lover
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
There's one on auto trader at the moment.
Thanks I had a look. I think this is the same car that was recently on eBay, at about £6500 I think. It looked pretty rough from the eBay photos but might be a reasonable candidate for a restoration. If I can find a good P1800 restorer (any recommendations gratefully received!) I'll see if they can go and take a look at it for me.
P1800_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote