Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I just want to cruise

Views : 767

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:03   #1
vest 48

Question I just want to cruise

Hi

I have a 1966 Amazon that has been in my garage since 1990. I bought it from a doctor that needed the parking space. I'm ready to put it on the road. I don't want a hot-rod. I want to be able to drive daily, keep up with traffic at high speed and buy the gas that is available at the pump. I was told to install an "A" cam. Any suggestions. STOP LAUGHING!
I have new fenders in the box ( perhaps 10 years old ). I've had several Volvos back in the 70's and 80's. ( 122's, 140's, 164's ). I'm tired of driving that Explorer. B18 block. Twin SU's. I haven't welded in years.

Baltimore, Maryland
vest 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 07:46   #2
222s
Amazoniste

Forget the A cam if you want performance!

A nice spec for a quick daily driver is a D cam, twin SUs, twin downpipe exhaust manifold & Simons sports exhaust system. Oh, and for high speed cruising, an o/d 'box is very useful! That's what I have in my car (although it's all on a B20) & it will cruise very happily at 85 / 90 mph.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Mar 6th, 2008 at 07:48.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:53   #3
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Do it.

Just get stuck in.
You probably won't find a more practical classic than the Amazon.
Parts are all still available. You'll get all the help you need through this forum too.
Good advice from Paul about the D cam.

Let us know how its going.

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 14:54   #4
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

The most important mod for "high speed cruising" is an overdrive. To cruise all day at 85-90mph the overdrive is the important bit, although it'll still do it without, it'll just be less relaxing. It doesn't need any kind of performance upgrade to do that. You don't need to modify the engine at all - no need to change the cam - although if you do then indeed the D cam is good.

To run on pump gas you're OK with compression ratio - just use the high-octane grade - but you'll want to either fit hardened valve seats or use lead replacement additive.

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 14:51   #5
vest 48

Thanks To All.

You Will Be Hearing From Me. Thanks Again.
vest 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 00:04   #6
caliwagon

One more vote for the D-cam here. I have a B20 with a D-cam, dual SU's, K&N filters, dual-outlet manifold, slightly modified exhaust (glasspack), etc... This is, in my case, all fitted in an slightly more aerodynamic 1800S, with an overdrive, but it really lives at highway speeds.