Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Neighbors vs caravan

Views : 3604

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2017, 09:24   #21
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

I have had a broken down car on my drive for years.
It would have been fixed and gone lone ago had the prat next-door not -

shouted at me, twiched net curtains, wagged fingers, put nose in air and sniffed, planted spiky plants right up to my boundary, written to the council a dozen times, and generally told me what I shall and shan't do in my own home.
Cheeky bugger started banging on at 11pm a while ago, telling me to move (I suggested he gets together with everyone who agrees with him and give me 10grand each, didnt hear that one again, sadly).

Its is MY car, on MY driveway, which was built with the house. Nothing anyone can do about it. Not legally anyway.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 10:03   #22
Simon Jones
Premier Member

So if your neighbour parked something like this on his driveway so it was what all you could see while stood doing the dishes, you'd wholeheartedly endorse his right to do so? You must be more tolerant than many other folk.

Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 13:10   #23
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:

shouted at me, twiched net curtains, wagged fingers, put nose in air and sniffed, planted spiky plants right up to my boundary, written to the council a dozen times, and generally told me what I shall and shan't do in my own home.
Cheeky bugger started banging on at 11pm a while ago, telling me to move (I suggested he gets together with everyone who agrees with him and give me 10grand each, didnt hear that one again, sadly).

Its is MY car, on MY driveway, which was built with the house. Nothing anyone can do about it. Not legally anyway.
You are correct, you may do as you please, however with that right comes responsibilty. Not entitlements. There's also decency and moral obligation for which no law can enforce you to enact. Yet, if you don't understand that simple fact, and if your words are really how you see it, I don't blame your neighbour. He sounds rather restrained.

You're lucky, your neighbour is not wise, is he? All he's done is wind you up, mincing about waving his hanky. Me? I'd sit quiet, pick my moment. You'd move that car, and be happy to do it.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 21st, 2017 at 13:30.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 13:29   #24
canis
Non Fragile

That's all well and good, talking about responsibility not entitlement. And on the whole, I agree with you, but not all of us are equally fortunate. Our caravan is ancient, and filthy. The cars are both rust buckets, even the working one.

I'd love to give it all up and get an £80,000 a year job and chuck all thr rubbish out and just buy new everything. Probably on finance like the rest of them do. New cars every six months, etc. Sprakley new driveway upon which I can park a sparkley new caravan.

But don't worry. Come the revolution, citizen, when we can all be valued equally, we can all be judged equally. Until then, it's my driveway and I'll park anything I want on it. And if they don't like it, they can move. After all, they can afford it.

What I mean is: It's unfair to expect those around you to match your living standards. The caravan might be an eyesore, but at least we own it. The car might be a wreck, but it's legal and it's ours and there's no payments to make on it. We own what we own, and shall not be priced out of our home just because the neighbour (only one, the others are fine with us) is a snob.

Last edited by canis; Mar 21st, 2017 at 15:37.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 18:33   #25
THE FLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post

Oh dear i think I'd of said if they dont stop moaning i'd hire it out as a B&B seriously though if its that grosse throw a cover over it, job done. Peaceful life for you.
THE FLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 02:10   #26
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Quote:

Make sure that you cut back any overhanging parts of said spiky plants into a tarp or blanket and then return the cuttings to the owner. Don't dispose of them yourself as that is classed as theft as you have deprived him of his property, just tip the cuttings back on his driveway or step.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 04:52   #27
TheLeeds

Quote:

shouted at me, twiched net curtains, wagged fingers, put nose in air and sniffed, planted spiky plants right up to my boundary, written to the council a dozen times, and generally told me what I shall and shan't do in my own home.......
An old neighbour of ours in the 80s had an old car that he was about to scrap because he'd bought another one. He was a nice guy who would help anyone, sometimes without even needing to be asked. Another of his neighbours didn't like seeing the car because it was old, but rather than simply ask if he could park it slightly further down the road, he reported it for not being taxed. So instead of scrapping it, he got another MOT on it, taxed it for 6 months, then parked it right outside the neighbour's house, and never used it once. If he had just asked politely, I bet there wouldn't have been a problem. It pays to be nice.