Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying my very first caravan

Views : 3764

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2016, 09:44   #1
Munro83

Default Buying my very first caravan

We are looking to buy our first caravan this year and I am totally new to this which means I'm also totally lost!!
When it comes to cars it's pretty straight forward- I know which makes are better than others, I have experience so after 4 volvo and 2 audis I know to stick to volvo etc. Anyway I haven't got a clue with caravans. I've searched high and low for a simple guide to caravan classes- basic- mid range luxurious etc and can't find anything that helps.
For example I know the swift group own quite a few marquees like sterling and sprite but what is frustrating is there is no guide to the difference between them- vag group own vw,audi,skoda &seat etc. Audi are the bells and whistles marquee whilst vw are more subtle and skoda more basic- but arguably skoda are better quality and better value for money. Is this simular to the swift group?
My mum's always had elddis caravan and swears by then
What do you guys think? Which brands are good or better quality than others? Is one more reliable than others?

I should say that I'm not going nuts with a budget for our first caravan, roughly wanting to spend around £2-4k which I know is looking towards year models 2000-2004/5 hence the reason I'm paranoid about quality etc

On a side note my car is a 2009 v70 2.4d so I'm assuming it can tow a decent sized 4 berth?
Munro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 11:37   #2
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro83 View Post
We are looking to buy our first caravan this year and I am totally new to this which means I'm also totally lost!!
When it comes to cars it's pretty straight forward- I know which makes are better than others, I have experience so after 4 volvo and 2 audis I know to stick to volvo etc. Anyway I haven't got a clue with caravans. I've searched high and low for a simple guide to caravan classes- basic- mid range luxurious etc and can't find anything that helps.
For example I know the swift group own quite a few marquees like sterling and sprite but what is frustrating is there is no guide to the difference between them- vag group own vw,audi,skoda &seat etc. Audi are the bells and whistles marquee whilst vw are more subtle and skoda more basic- but arguably skoda are better quality and better value for money. Is this simular to the swift group?
My mum's always had elddis caravan and swears by then
What do you guys think? Which brands are good or better quality than others? Is one more reliable than others?

I should say that I'm not going nuts with a budget for our first caravan, roughly wanting to spend around £2-4k which I know is looking towards year models 2000-2004/5 hence the reason I'm paranoid about quality etc

On a side note my car is a 2009 v70 2.4d so I'm assuming it can tow a decent sized 4 berth?
As your Mums is a caravaner I would take her with you when you go to look as she will know what she is looking for..

I would buy a damp meter first to test EVERYWHERE for damp as you would be surprised of the amount of junk there but might look good.
Buy from a dealer if you have any doubts as there are a some travellers out there that buy junkers then pass them off as being good condition with a quick spit and polish.
The more upmarket the van you buy will be better insulated /seats etc but you might not see any difference just looking at it.You would manage a Charisma 550 of year 2009 on with your Volvo for instance
For help on the internet join one of the Swift /Elddis or other forums for advice.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 14:36   #3
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Anyway I haven't got a clue with caravans. I've searched high and low for a simple guide to caravan classes- basic- mid range luxurious etc and can't find anything that helps.
Swift have various brands. In order similar to VAG would be be:-
Bessacarr, Swift, Sterling, Sprite....and tbh Swift branded models are really no different to Sterling branded ones. Sprite is the 'Skoda'...the budget brand.

Quote:
Regards quality, there is generally not a lot of difference between most makes of caravan all are as good as, or bad as each other..!!

German built caravans are pretty good quality such as Dethleffs, Geist,Burstner, as are other foreign caravans such as Hymer group products - although somewhat more expensive, and generally heavier. Also have a look at Adria - nice caravans, and the Adria Adora from that era was a welt built stylish practical van.

Within your budget of 2-4k, it will simply be a matter of looking at the best condition caravan you can find for the money, and so long as you do not buy one riddled with damp and ruined delaminated floors, you should be ok, and will get a taste of touring and whether it is right for you.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 14:42   #4
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:

You should be able to pull most vans with ease. Think your tow ability will be at least 1600kg. Don't know whether you have towed before, but you may wish to invest in a stabiliser to assist. The stabiliser is the head thing that fits on your tow ball, and reduces movement/swaying of the caravan. Also worth noting, caravans with rear kitchens are heavier at the back and can lead to a less than level tow. Ensure your noseweight is also right for the car - too much and too little and you may have stability issues. Never load a caravan inside with any weight high up, best spread evenly low down and over the wheels.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 23:23   #5
Whyman
Premier Member

As others have said damp and floor delamination are your biggest worries. Take a damp meter with you but you can often tell by the smell of the interior.

Also check the age of the tyres most agree that replacing at 6. years old so you could have to spend on new ones. Each tyre has a 4 digit code the first two numbers are the week of manufacture and the second two the year. Anything after 1209 is due for change.

Dealers will have the best ones with A warranty but will also be more expensive.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 00:23   #6
Munro83

Thanks for the info guys- really helpful! Looking forward to getting a caravan- we have 2 kids and love the outdoors including Hill walking so a caravan will.be perfect.
Hopefully we can buy one with an awning
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 00:25   #7
Munro83

Out of curiosity where would you place elddis in the swift group?
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 00:37   #8
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

can always buy a seperate awning if needs be. Good things to have, so much more useable space.
Think about internal layout, some 'vans are all beds, showers, los, massive things, others have the same living space but are half the size, they lose the bunks and maybe shower/wc.
You'll look at a few, decide what you think works for you (and when you see a good one buy it), then change your mind about the features after a few trips away. Fro that reason alone its well worth going used, you;ll get your dosh back (or most of it) when you work out what you really want
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 13:05   #9
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Out of curiosity where would you place elddis in the swift group?
They are two different companies.
If buying new the Swift has the better warranty just now but that can change.
Second hand they are on par with each other and personal preference.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 14:18   #10
c_lee
VOC26332

Arrow

Make sure you check your driving license eligible groups because if you passed your driving test post 1997 ( IIRC ) then it has an effect on the total weight of the unit you are allowed to drive unless you take an additional towing test.

ISTR there was also another significant date re test passed that is also later than 1997.
I passed in 1971 so never committed the dates to memory.

There are some good caravaning forums that are used to answering newbies questions re caravaning IE:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/....asp?ForumID=8

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/communi...-caravan-chat/

A damp meter is essential IMHU as there are some right cowboys out there selling caravans and not all of them are private sales - and don't believe a dealers reassurances or damp survey, check it yourself - extensively.

Oh - and did I mention about buying a damp meter.
I bought one of these and regularly check my van:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cheap-Mois...QAAOSw0JpV5a7r

Colin

Tags
audo