Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tramlining While towing

Views : 1804

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 21:13   #11
richardbell556

Default Parrelli's

hi.i'm new had v70 2.5d 2000 model for about 5 mouth . got it to tow caravan (600-900kg) thinking about changing to larger van as van we have now is very small and light.
i have read the thread above with fears as the car is fitted with perrelli P6000 with thought of buying a caravan twice the size and weight what problems do these tyres couse while towing as it's been fine up to now at upto 900kg on tow?????
richardbell556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 22:08   #12
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I have an Eldiss Avante 556 on Hanook with a Winterhoff stabiliser towed by an S60 D5 on P6000 on 16" wheels with no problems. From what everyone says 17" wheels cause tramlining. I pulled the same caravan with a V70 on 16" wheels using P6000 and Dunlops without any problems.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 22:41   #13
richardbell556

what do you mean by tramlining... is it the snakes or what?
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:25   #14
JackT5

Tramlining is the effect caused by the front wheels attempting to follow irregularities in the road surface, eg, white lines, wheel ruts etc..
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 08:26   #15
JIM C
Forum Support Team

The term "tramlining" is being used to describe when directional control is disrupted by the vehicle's tendency to follow the longitudinal ruts and/or grooves in the road. It's name could be compared to the tram or trolley driver who does not steer because his vehicle follows the path established by the tracks.
Any vehicle can exhibit tramlining on certain areas of the highway because of uneven pavement or severe rutting. And all vehicles tramline to some degree rather than obediently following the driver's steering input. For example, there's usually at least a small change in steering resistance felt through the wheel when crossing an uneven expansion joint or asphalt junction during lane changes.
Noticeable increases in tramlining are frequently uncovered when drivers living in the snowbelt make the seasonal changeover from winter tires to summer tires, or when any driver upgrades the performance of their tires using either the same size or going to a "Plus Size" tire and wheel package. The reason that it becomes more pronounced then is because neither the typically narrower and softer handling winter tires nor the Original Equipment tires generate as much grip or responsiveness as the higher performance summer tires. Since the vehicle's suspension works as a complete package, a higher performance tire will also uncover any previously unnoticed looseness in the rest of the suspension.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:40   #16
Madleee
'95 850 T5 GLE 7 Seater

Default tramlining

Suck eggs mode on/

1. Are the caravan tyres at the pressure recommended by the manufacturer?
I used to run at 35PSI until I read the tyres and found they should be 50
PSI.

2. Is you 'van properly loaded? A stabiliser is no aid for a poorly laden 'van.

3. Whats your nose weight, more of an issue for FWD cars.

4. Have you considered spring assisters on the rear? I too have a T5 and am
reluctant to affect my handling Solo for any benefit whilst towing.

5. What condition are your wishbone bushes? Consider polybushing, I am
because my rubber bushes are shot and I only want to change them once!

6. Tramlining is your friend! set cruise and then read the paper!!!

Suck eggs mode off/

Have an enjoyable season in 2008

Lee

Awning up...
Alcoholic beverage out
Relax.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 00:52   #17
richardbell556

Default update

the front tyers were nacked so changed .well got bigger van now could fel tramming a little without van on tow. now got avons on front has changed car seems better . have not towed with them yet just fitted last week..
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 20:37   #18
tonyvolvo

Default Tramlining

Most of theproblems are caused by the poor surface and the lorries cause groves in the road. Your wheels will run in oneof the tracks affecting your steering. On 10 volvos towing i have tried all tyres.
Tony bevan
tonyvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote