Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Disabling Daylight running lights

Views : 23918

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 19:40   #11
HeliFella

DRL's Yes - a legal requirement by 2011 on new cars whether filament or LED.

As a driver you should be given the option whilst sat in the driver seat to choose to turn the perminant dipped lights off, rather than a dealer tweak.

ie; 0 = off, I = sides only, II = dipped, III = DRL's like the Audi light switches

Note: When switched, Audi DRL's do not light rear lights - ours do, as do new Vauxhall Insignia's.

Regarding the LED sidelights fitted alongside the optional bendy Xenons (as mine is) these don't really qualify as DRL's as they are not bright or big enough. In strong sunlight they need to standout which they don't.

As for the amber lights these are side markers for added side-on visibility, not necessarily parking lights.

I think DRL's should be LED's are they do stand out more and catch your eye. Also they would use less energy than dipped headlights and of course last so much longer.

HeliFella (Member of I.A.M.)
*2009 V50 D5 R-Design Sport*
...At Last... Definately worth the wait!
HeliFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 21:21   #12
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

I cannot see the benefit of DRL's.

By that logic, there'd be no crashes at night time.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 22:08   #13
dan 244
Master Member

I dont see the problem with day running lights, ok it might cost you a couple of new bulbs every 2 years, but at least it meens that lights are on by defult, the amount of people that drive around citys at night with street lighting and dont have lights on, and drive in very merky conditions with no lights on is rediculous. I also drive a VW transporter van and use dipped headlights most of the time, other than mid summer of course! But if you dont like the dipped headlights, then turn the switch to position 1 and only have side lights, at least it is your choice to turn the headlights off, not to forget to put them on!
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 22:11   #14
NewVolvo
VOC Member

It has been proven a million times over that DRL's are safer than not having it.

It especially works in summer when the sun is low and strong and you can't see oncoming traffic..... the DRL's will allow you to do so.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 22:25   #15
HeliFella

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post

I have to disagree there - I have seen a number of drivers in black or dark coloured cars which I have struggled to see in these recent dark dank days. Had they either been a responsible driver and used their lights or had DRL's they would have shown up far better.

See my other post re winter driving
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=87795

Having DRL's will remove that factor of drivers who don't see that lights are a bright idea on darker or wet days.

HeliFella (Member of I.A.M.)
*2009 V50 D5 R-Design Sport*
...At Last... Definately worth the wait!
HeliFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 22:50   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Of course it makes the car more visible ! You stop and think when you see a pair of lights coming towards you rather than pull out .. thats what i have found over the last 34 years since volvos had them anyway Both in driving volvos and other cars over 500000 miles do the people who say DRLs dont make any difference actualy drive DRL cars for any length of time ? They would see people come up from a side road in front of them , then the car just moves to pull out and stops , he kind of double thinks which is a good thing .. you see the front wheels move a bit and stop again .. i have seen this countless times ... but when driving a car without lights on they invariably in the same situation pull out in front of you and inconvenience you at least .. The lights say " I'm alive i am moving towards you " the nessage gets over .
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 08:53   #17
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I think the police will have another reason and a very busy time stopping vehicles after the DRL law have has come into force (for people who refuse to use them for reasons many of us can not understand, ie fuel consumption, "it wears the battery down" or "the cost of bulbs is too high" etc etc etc).
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 09:26   #18
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post

I originally thought the same but then heard a radio interview where they discussed a number of countries, mainly eastern European, who introduced DRL's and saw a significant drop in accidents. Is this discussion a little like the seatbelt debate of the 80's? We wouldn't think of driving without one now.

Unfortunately even in this current weather I am seeing many cars driving in murky conditions with no lights on. Whilst we here all, hopefully, have brains there are many out on the roads who don't. Whilst there are people out there like that you then have to force through legislation. If you want another example look at people using handheld mobiles whilst driving. I see someone doing this every day even though it is stupid and illegal. Stupid people still drive, sad but true.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:58   #19
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
I think the police will have another reason and a very busy time stopping vehicles after the DRL law have has come into force (for people who refuse to use them for reasons many of us can not understand, ie fuel consumption, "it wears the battery down" or "the cost of bulbs is too high" etc etc etc).
They should have a very busy time but won't for the same reason that an unbelievable number of drivers still:

- Drive while using a handheld phone
- Drive with no seatbelt
- Drive with foglights on day and night with greater than 100m visibility

The police have no interest in stopping people for minor offences as it creates too much paperwork. The excuse is generally that they don't have the time or resources to police these laws. IMHO the government should either provide enough police to start policing these offences or not bother intruducing laws that they can't or won't enforce.

I really do believe there are more people today driving whilst on the mobile than before the law was introduced and it continues because there is hardly any visible effort to enforce the law.

Back to the topic of DRLs, I'm content to have them and I do think it makes my presence more visible to other road users. That can never be a bad thing so long as it doesn't cause irritation to other road users.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 11:03   #20
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
They should have a very busy time but won't for the same reason that an unbelievable number of drivers still:

- Drive while using a handheld phone
- Drive with no seatbelt
- Drive with foglights on day and night with greater than 100m visibility

The police have no interest in stopping people for minor offences as it creates too much paperwork. The excuse is generally that they don't have the time or resources to police these laws. IMHO the government should either provide enough police to start policing these offences or not bother intruducing laws that they can't or won't enforce.
This is certainly not the case in Colchester where the Police very often have a "day out" opposite my office stopping everybody who's using a phone while driving. They also check the usual, ie insurance etc and I have seen a few people being arrested as well as walking after being stopped.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post: