Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate wont open

Views : 78344

Replies : 173

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2011, 21:41   #41
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWalker View Post
I have actioned all the wonderful advice given in this thread yet my tailgate stays stubbornly unlockable with the key fob. The solenoid is OK as I can manually actuate it with a 12V battery. The little microswitch which closes when the tailgate is in the locked position [and presumably tells the main computer whether the tailgate is open or closed] is OK. The solenoid piston is lubed and free running and the wiring loom that passes over the left side tailgate hinge looks like new with no sign of chafing

I have checked back with a voltmeter to the fusebox in the cargo compartment, the 10Amp fuse [sixth down from the top on left] that the manual says protects the tailgate lock is intact but there is no DC voltage either side of it when lock/unlock is actuated to feed the lock solenoid. The fuse appears to be fed from one of the relays on that fusebank - could it be a duff relay? Without a circuit diagram I am reluctant to delve much deeper without expert help. Anyone out there got access to a wiring diagram for a 2001 V70 2.4T estate please? Roger Walker
This may help:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2001 V70 Tailgate Lock.jpg (69.7 KB, 70 views)
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 21:54   #42
xc70jason
Premier Member

I myself would like too say a BIG THANK YOU Symes for your very usefull post.I like many other's have benefitted from this as i checked the loom on the tailgate(nearside hinge)and i found two wire's,one black and one yellow to be broken.So,wire's stripped,fluxed and soldered and hey presto were back in action.Thank's again,Regard's Jason
xc70jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 20:57   #43
Symes
Master Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Jason,

But the real thanks has to go to the community as a whole; the information available on this forum is quite astounding! The willingness to share tips and experiences with everyone else is what makes membership here such a positive experience.
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Symes For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2011, 21:47   #44
volvomadbert

Post Problems with V70 Tailgate and Filler cap central locking.

Hi,

I am new here so i'm sorry if I am asking a lot. I promise to reply with photos of my endeavour with this problem

I have a V70 T5 on a 53 plate. Since owning the car the computer has always flashed "tailgate open" and the bulb in the cargo space needed removing otherwise it would stay on. TBH this never bothered me until now. Also the alarm would occasionally activate at quite random times.

Now my boot or filler cap will not lock. I cannot hear the central locking devices operating in either the filler cap or the boot. I have checked the fuses in the boot space and now after looking at this thread I'm guessing its the loom.

So before I don the overalls and get the socket set out, do you peeps think that it is the loom or would a worn out boot solenoid make the filler cap not lock also?

Thanks again for any help, great site BTW.

Bert
volvomadbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 22:07   #45
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvomadbert View Post
Hi,

I am new here so i'm sorry if I am asking a lot. I promise to reply with photos of my endeavour with this problem

I have a V70 T5 on a 53 plate. Since owning the car the computer has always flashed "tailgate open" and the bulb in the cargo space needed removing otherwise it would stay on. TBH this never bothered me until now. Also the alarm would occasionally activate at quite random times.

Now my boot or filler cap will not lock. I cannot hear the central locking devices operating in either the filler cap or the boot. I have checked the fuses in the boot space and now after looking at this thread I'm guessing its the loom.

So before I don the overalls and get the socket set out, do you peeps think that it is the loom or would a worn out boot solenoid make the filler cap not lock also?

Thanks again for any help, great site BTW.

Bert
The fuel flap does not lock when the doors are locked. There is a time delay of about 10 minutes after locking the vehicle and then the fuel flap locks automatically.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim314 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2011, 22:09   #46
volvomadbert

Lightbulb

Ok after reading up some more, I have found that the filler cap does actually work after a time delay.

So i'm guessing firstly I should check the solenoid then the loom?

Also any ideas on the "tailgate open" warning?

Thanks again

Bert
Old May 25th, 2011, 20:24   #47
volvomadbert

Ok, I have now fixed the problem with the boot not locking and the tailgate warning message.

On taking the tailgate apart, the loom that runs from the left hand side of the boot space had obviously been "repaired" at some point as the whole top section had been stripped back and wrapped in insulation tape. On further examination 4 wires were cut. Someone had obviously just twisted them together in a bodge repair job.

So out comes the soldering iron and some heatshrink. Added a few lengths of wire so that the loom did not stretch too much and hey presto all sorted. Must of saved me a fortune.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, you information has been priceless.

Bert
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 17:29   #48
PatrickTV70

Am a new member with the same problem. 2003 V70 boot started not locking or unlocking intermittently, then stopped altogether, locked.

Had seen other posts about getting at the "spoon" from the inside to open the boot, and was ready to book it in for a replacement solenoid when I saw this post and thought I'd give it a try.

And hey presto - 3 broken wires in the wiring loom at the boot hinge - yellow black and grey all clean cut. Used some crimp connectors and lots of tape and it's all working fine now.

Many thanks to all who published this info - you've saved me a packet, and a load of grief from SWMBO who's been loading our 7 dogs in and out from the side doors!
PatrickTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 09:28   #49
PatrickTV70

Double whammy! Have just discovered that fixing the broken wires in the loom at the boot hinge has also solved a problem where the rear wiper was not parking in the right place.

Thanks again to all.
PatrickTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 21:36   #50
alex1877

Do you have a picture of what the lock set up should look like? It seems the wiring is fine, the relays are fine but one of the actuating rods that is connected to the door handle assembly and down to the 'spoon' assembly that opens the bootlock has fallen off. I've tried a temp repair but I'm not sure if there are bits missing and rattling around inside the door structure itself.

I've phoned a company about getting spares but I would just like to double chieck which bits I need, any help is MOST appreciated. Thanks guys

AMAZING post by the way !!!!!
alex1877 is offline   Reply With Quote