Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone had Volvo DAB radio fitted?

Views : 10367

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2011, 16:37   #1
piquet

Default Anyone had Volvo DAB radio fitted?

I have an 08 plate V70 SE which has the high performance sound system, but only a regular analogue radio. It is at this time of year, when the cricket is only on 5Live Sports Extra that I feel the need to have a DAB radio.

On Volvo's website there is just such an accessory:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Acc...ent/VCC-428545

Has anyone had one of these fitted? Could you give me a rough idea of cost, including fitting? Are they any good?

Thanks for any help.

Phil
piquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 18:35   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Your car MUST have the factory fitted DAB preparation to enable this to fit your car , it was a £70 option on the car when new , it cannot be added on later .. you need to find out if it has been fitted .

You will most likely find good news from your dealer they can download a software to enable LW the cricket is on that isnt it?
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 19:21   #3
piquet

Clan, I imagine my car doesn't have the dab prep, I didn't have it new so 'll have to find out.

Great news if they can enabled LW, that would be a cheaper option.

Thanks for the info,

Phil
piquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 06:00   #4
moog23

There is a recent thread on LW conversion - mine cost £35 to add.
The DAB is far from perfect in operation compared to my polo which has artist/song, other info and changes automatically to FM if poor reception - which the volvo does not do (when asked dealer about lack of DAB info -stated EU regs on not distracting driver!! but then dealer stated DAB info added on radio in 2012 model?)
Quality wise - DAB appears much better than FM.
I do get dropouts on signal even on national motorways (M1 north of Leicester and Northampton, also M6 north stafford) where an FM cut in would be useful.
moog23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:02   #5
MartinK

I have uploaded the install insstructions - they say xc70 but they're obviously generic...

I have been thinking about DAB as well - I use it all the time in the house over the hifi, and being of a certain age love Absolute 80's !

As it needs a dealer software (VIDA) upload, I can't do it myself. When I got a quote from my local dealer they wanted £400 supply & fit with VAT... I went off the idea pretty quickly! Living in Scotland, DAB is still quite patchy - especially further North.

Let us know how you get on if you do go ahead...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DAB Install XC70_2009[1].pdf (1.36 MB, 38 views)

Last edited by MartinK; Aug 2nd, 2011 at 10:05.
MartinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 16:23   #6
Rick Barton
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog23 View Post
There is a recent thread on LW conversion - mine cost £35 to add.
Mine was £48 today in Milton Keynes. A bit steep, I thought, but I'm away in the car on holiday next week and the third test starts at Edgbaston... Oh well, it's only money.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 00:58   #7
Arnold Layne

I've got a DAB in car adaptor in my current car, (which is soon to be sold), and I've spoken to Volvo and confirmed that my new (07) S80 doesn't have the wiring preparation, so retro fitting is not an option for me unfortunately.

While I've enjoyed the DAB in car adaptor in my current car, which I fitted myself, it's not DAB+, I wouldn't want to have the same one again. It was called "Acoustic Solutions DAB ICS", and I think the company has gone out of business, because I can't seem to find it again, except for used ones on ebay. There are some nice modern looking ones available now, in particular the Pure Highway 300, which is the same as the Alpine Ezi Dab. What it doesn't have though, is 5 or 6 strategically placed "preset" buttons on the front of the control panel, instead you have to scroll to your station of choice - not great when you're driving.

Any suggestions?
Arnold Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 18:48   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Layne View Post
I've got a DAB in car adaptor in my current car, (which is soon to be sold), and I've spoken to Volvo and confirmed that my new (07) S80 doesn't have the wiring preparation, so retro fitting is not an option for me unfortunately.

While I've enjoyed the DAB in car adaptor in my current car, which I fitted myself, it's not DAB+, I wouldn't want to have the same one again. It was called "Acoustic Solutions DAB ICS", and I think the company has gone out of business, because I can't seem to find it again, except for used ones on ebay. There are some nice modern looking ones available now, in particular the Pure Highway 300, which is the same as the Alpine Ezi Dab. What it doesn't have though, is 5 or 6 strategically placed "preset" buttons on the front of the control panel, instead you have to scroll to your station of choice - not great when you're driving.

Any suggestions?
I would certainly go for the pure D300 , are you not aware of the preset button top right ? you program up to 20 favourite stations , to change station you dont need to look at anything just press the button a certain number of times to go to your preset of choice , so if you have RADIO 1 on the first preset and RADIO2 on the second etc , all you have to do is press it 4 times for RADIO 4 ... dont forget also the great feature of the USB/i-Pod connector , all your CD Collection at hand ...
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 12:08   #9
Arnold Layne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I would certainly go for the pure D300 , are you not aware of the preset button top right ? you program up to 20 favourite stations , to change station you dont need to look at anything just press the button a certain number of times to go to your preset of choice , so if you have RADIO 1 on the first preset and RADIO2 on the second etc , all you have to do is press it 4 times for RADIO 4 ... dont forget also the great feature of the USB/i-Pod connector , all your CD Collection at hand ...
Thanks Clan, good to know. Only problem I can see however, is how do you go for example from preset 7 to preset 5, you'd have to cycle through the whole lot and then start from 1 wouldn't you? I'm still tempted, it's a lovely looking control panel, and the ipod control is definitely appealing. Having just forked out several thousand £ for my S80 I'm probably not going to be buying one soon though. I think I'll trawl ebay for a Pure Highway, just so that I can have DAB, hopefully pick one up cheaper than new.
Arnold Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 18:37   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Layne View Post
Thanks Clan, good to know. Only problem I can see however, is how do you go for example from preset 7 to preset 5, you'd have to cycle through the whole lot and then start from 1 wouldn't you? I'm still tempted, it's a lovely looking control panel, and the ipod control is definitely appealing. Having just forked out several thousand £ for my S80 I'm probably not going to be buying one soon though. I think I'll trawl ebay for a Pure Highway, just so that I can have DAB, hopefully pick one up cheaper than new.
WELL , the preset button starts at 1 again once you are tuned in , so just count the presses from zero to go to your next preset . If you keep your favourites on the low positions very easy to call up by feel without looking . You only have a handful of radio stations you listen to i guess so keep them on the low preset numbers ... The old highway is a bit bulky now though and has trailing wires , but cheap on e-bay ..