Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

FM Transmitter/Modulator - Alternatives?

Views : 2528

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 13:16   #1
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Default FM Transmitter/Modulator - Alternatives?

Not sure if anyone has had a similar issue.
I recently installed an fm modulator (in-line 9v battery method) to enable me to play mp3s/ipod through the radio (pre 2007 volvos) without the hassle of changing cd's.
The problem I am having is the music fades and gets louder as you are driving along - not sure if this is down to the cheap modulator or not. wondered if anyone had a similar problem or have used a modulator that works reasonably well and could recommend.

Also looking around I thought the Dension Gateway 500 would be a solution that enables you to still use the controls on the steering wheel but apparently not available for Premium sound radio on S40's - has anyone tried?

Also has anyone tried the Griffin Itrip with autoscan and charge facility as an alternative or could recommend another alternative that gives reasonable sound ??
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 13:39   #2
Guru
Premier Member

Hi Jonnie,

Really can't comment on the fluctuating volume level, however I have a feeling it has something to do with Volvo signal amplifier and not the modulator. I could be wrong.
Edit> Perhaps you could try fiddling with the radio settings in the control menu by switching TP, PTY, EON, news and alarms to "off" then perhaps that will limit interference and solve the problem, just a thought.

For a Dension to work, you'll need to have the high performance audio system with a 6-CD changer. The yanks with solo-CD players have had 6-CD changer software from Volvo written in to their systems to trick the Dension in to thinking it was dealing with a CD-changer, I didn't follow up so i have no idea whether this method was successful.

Many good reviews /and some bad ones too/ have been reported by people using the PARROT MKi9200 hands free set in these Volvos, worth a research.

It's a never ending struggle! shame on Volvo for introducing cars in 2004 without at least an AUX connection.

Last edited by Guru; Apr 13th, 2010 at 14:05. Reason: I just remembered something
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 14:46   #3
Nunfa1

From the research I've done I shall go down the route of an IOplay. It is similar to the Parrot in that it just connects to the speakers and bypasses the car stereo completely but it does have it's own amplifier and sound quality is apparently very good. Cheaper than a Parrot too if you fancy fitting it yourself.
I plan to get one in May so will report back then.
Nunfa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 19:00   #4
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Thanks for the help gents, I do have the 6 cd changer in linked to the premium sound system - whats the difference with the high performance and premium sound system?
Will try some trail and error experimentation at the weekend.

Thanks again
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 19:40   #5
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Nunfa
Just looking at the IO play - this appears to be a great little package. How does it connect though with the radio. There is a installation diagram which shows an iso? cable going out of the amplifier to the back of the radio

Could be tempted if its compatable with the s40 radio

Jon
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 20:02   #6
mikealder
VOC Member

Jon, click on my blog link and in one or two of the entries I have detailed how to install the iO-Play to my Ph1 V70, I accept its a different car but it should give you some idea as to whats involved - As to what I think of the iO-Play, its the best gadget I have fitted to any of my cars for the past few years - cracking product and worth every penny - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 20:18   #7
Nunfa1

Jonnie, I asked an ebay seller of the IOplay about this:

Dear rick355s,

Hello, could you possibly tell me if this will fit
my car, I've emailed iO play but had no response.
It is a 2005 Volvo S40, as far as I'm aware you
are unable to plug anything into the stereo head
unit itself. According to the Parrot web site
their units are plugged into the amp located in
the boot.
thanks & regards

and his reply:

Hi,

the item required would be sot-045 and you may need a amp bypass lead also, this code would be pc9-404.

Regards

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:18   #8
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Nunfa

Sounds good to me. Would you install it yourself or get say Halford to install?

What are they selling for and do you have the sellers ebay name?

there is a post by Mikealder - might be useful

I like the concept in so much that you can bluetooth music and also use your phone as handsfree, a 2-in-1 combo.

Regards

Last edited by Jonnieb2009; Apr 14th, 2010 at 10:26. Reason: added text
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 13:50   #9
mikealder
VOC Member

Halfords are currently offering a free install of this device but I doubt that will cover the cost of any additional addaptor cables you will need, see Here
The cheapest I can locate on e-bay is This One which is less than half the price Halfords want for the same device!

Fitting is a doddle IF you can find the correct audio addaptor cables needed to match your car, and at £64 its about what I paid for my iO-Play around 12 months ago - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 14:35   #10
Nunfa1

Jonnie,
the seller was rick355s don't know the name of his shop, sorry. I like the idea of it doing both the phone and music, it's exactly what I'm after. The clincher for me was the fact that it comes with its own amp so sound quality should be good, confirmed by Mike. I plan on trying to install it myself, hopefully there will be people on here to advice with removing trim etc.