Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poor economy and trouble starting when cold.

Views : 12692

Replies : 140

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2012, 10:05   #121
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
Unfortunately a misunderstanding not knowing that the 2nd hand parts may of come from yourself, i apologise.

But these sensors have variables in there "Volts" and all that business when in operation on the motor and if some of these sensors are not giving out quite what they should then all the negatives add up especially with sensor with a lot of miles, it is not really a way to solve a problem.

The codes should be read all the time and kept an eye on regularly and then replace a sensor with a new one from Volvo. These things are the heart of the engine.

Yes, i agree "try that old sensor" but it may not be giving it`s best, so problems may stay as they are, especially if another sensor linked to it is faulty, but if it were new then the situation would be different.

At the end of the day one just doesn`t know what is what as so many used parts are on the engine, so therefore all the parts that have worn together with a similar mileage are now all over the place trying to work with one another. I hope you understand what i am trying to say as the OP`s problem is fairly difficult now to find and correct.

I know we can only give opinions on what could be as we are not there with the car, but i personally would dump the K&N filter and fit a new fuel pump. These things stop it starting properly, oil on the MAF from the filter interferes with the measurement of air needed for a clean start, if the fuel pressure is low no start and once a dribble of fuel is there more difficult to start! More throttle less MPG, 205/55/16 tyres instead of 205/50/16 more throttle to pull away due to more diameter. The 1.8 has less torque for these tyres in town use. One can say all day what the problem may be but reading the error codes must be the first thing to keep on top of.
Hey Keith. Not a problem at all and please please, no need to apologise at all. This is a forum after all. You had an opinion and you very simply put it forward in the forum. Your knowledge and experience about cars in general and even more S/V40s is much much greater than mine and I value your opinion greatly. I can recall a few occasions where you corrected me for making incorrect statements or posts and I do greatly appreciate it, as this is the only way to learn and go forward. If you do ever offend me (which I know will never happen), I will be sending you a PM first thing.....

If someone goes and buys a part from ebay he has no guarantees that the part works which can lead to a lot more problems and mis-diagnosing. That is why I will only buy from people I know in the forum. Ideally people who will go through the hassle to check the parts and make sure they work fine. As you know I check all the bits on either my T4 or my 1.9D before I sent them out. I have however sent a bad complete strut to Julianamps, as I wasn't aware until recently that the top bit has to be dead in the centre. I have learned something new and refunded the full amount for it, but was still very embarassed sending a bad part to another member. Since that, I have also found out that both the struts on my 1.9D need new top mounts as they are knackered. You live and learn from mistakes.

I will also agree with the removal of the KN filter, as if the filter is treated the wrong way with too much oil, it can wreck the MAF which costs a fortune to replace.

The only thing I can think of now for tt82, is to bite the bullet and maybe try to take his car to a dealer, or a very good independent mechanic (like Rob in Leicestershire or Braydons in North London, both of whom I have heard the best words for) and have the car checked.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 09:22   #122
tt82
Forum Support Team

Refused to start again on Sunday morning and then when it did start, the EML showed.

This starting issue is only apparent at low ambient tempatures, 2 degrees C and colder, and when the engine is cold. Struggling to think what would be affected by cold weather.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 13:34   #123
motormadfrosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Refused to start again on Sunday morning and then when it did start, the EML showed.

This starting issue is only apparent at low ambient tempatures, 2 degrees C and colder, and when the engine is cold. Struggling to think what would be affected by cold weather.
What about the ECT sensor?
motormadfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to motormadfrosty For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 17:09   #124
tt82
Forum Support Team

Nope, thats been changed with brand new from Rufe.

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 20:28   #125
motormadfrosty

Does it use any coolant when the weathers colder?
motormadfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to motormadfrosty For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 21:04   #126
tt82
Forum Support Team

Nope, no coolant loss or any other fluid issues.

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 21:18   #127
malteser
Master Member

Just a thought, mine has a problem every six weeks or so, usually when its been cold. I try to start it and it's like it tries to start up at the wrong time, timing. I changed the crank sensor and thought it was sorted but last week it happen again. it started up after a while dsa light came on and engine managment came up. Read the code which was 074 I think, can't remember for sure but it was crankshaft sensor again. When I serviced my car last week I asked simon at MRG Volvo about the sensor issue. He told me that volvo sells a shield for the crankshaft sensor because volvo found out that on some of the cars the cam and crankshaft sensors signals would interfere with each other.

So he said the shield was about £40 and that should sort the problem, I've not bought one as of yet.
Mine is a T4 2001 so I've got a spare crankshaft sensor(volvo) and if you want to try it to see if it sorts it let me know and I'll send it to you
Then just send it back. Atleast that way you wouldn't have to buy one

Cheers
Danny
malteser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malteser For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 23:35   #128
Baffler
Premier Member

Throttle position sensor loose?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 23:44   #129
dera
Shark Performance

Awfully sorry for not reading the thread from the beginning so I'm not sure if this has been discussed or ruled out (or if its a later engine) but the first thing to check on a 2.0T/T4 when it has difficulty starting is the fuel pressure regulator diaphgram. Undo the vacuum hose and see if there's any fuel in there. If yes, replace the regulator.
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dera For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 00:28   #130
SonyVaio
VOC Member

This is almost a whole new engine in thing? The list of what has not been changed has now got to be smaller??

With the vast amount of things that has been changed and checked I get the feeling this may be an electrical problem, probably a simple one at that. It seems that some connection somewhere is contracting away from making contact when cold.

Think I would try and unplug and re-plug every electrical connector and connection in and around the engine bay and make sure you give all other wires a wiggle too. This would include wires to all the sensors (unlug and re-plug) or wiggle as necessary, wiggle and check wires to maf, fuse boxes, and especially spark plugs, coils and the fuel pump.

Clutching at straws I know but it really does seem that almost everything else has either been done or changed.

Hope you get it sorted, it's been a right PITA.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post: