Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide: Fitting LED's to side lights and yellow side lights

Views : 36491

Replies : 151

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 17:44   #141
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

here's mine (- external link to photo)

I used 501 / T10 bulbs with 10 small SMD LEDs on each (pointing in 5 directions - so they give side-light as well as forward light, and fill the reflector properly), the same bulbs were a perfect fit for all 4 side-marker lights (as per this thread, the car's a Phase 2), both front sidelights and all 4 internal roof lights. Fortunately I'd bought a pack of 10 from eBay

Significantly brighter. I've also replaced both rear numberplate lights with 39mm festoon LEDs, each with 3 large SMD LEDs on, and all tail running / fog lights are also LED, red 24 SMD P5Ws and white 68 SMD P21Ws - so on sidelights I have no incandescent bulbs burning except the few internal backlights and switch-lights that I haven't yet managed to replace with LEDs. Getting there...
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 22:42   #142
malteser
Master Member

Looking nice have you got a link of the ones you used

Cheers
Danny
malteser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 13:55   #143
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Ones I used are no longer on sale. but if 10 x SMD worked & fitted , so should 12xSMD or 5xSMD (larger LEDs) T10 / 501 bulbs to similar effect.
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 20:01   #144
gedvan

Smile LED light bulb upgraded

Hi there i have just read your post with interest but i have a problem i have replaced the o/s side light with not problem but the near side will not work i have treed everything the holder plastic appears to be very brittle not sure about the actual connection though,i was thinking of getting one of a scrappy and cut and replace the hole connection what do you think,many thanks for your help Ged
gedvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 21:02   #145
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Assuming the fault is a failing bulb holder, that should work just fine. Cut the wires where you have enough spare length to strip the ends and add insulating crimp connectors, and do the same to the replacement bulb holder. If you use 2 identical crimp connectors you can then reverse the wiring in case you put the LED the wrong way round first time

I trust you did check it was mounted the right way round; they can be fitted either way round in the bulb holder but only light up when the anode connector on the LED unit is connected to the positive voltage feed. Putting them in wrong doesnt harm the LED,it just wont light.
Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 20:39   #146
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Great guide peeps.

Just wanted to share something with you all.

LEDs do last longer than filament lamps. However... The quoted time simply means they will still technically 'light'. That is, they will NOT put out the same AMOUNT Of light. The output from LEDs lamps slowly drops from day one. If the manufacturer quotes 20,000 hours then you would look to change at about 7.5 - 10000 hours to maintain light levels (lumens).

Finally, most of the stuff on fleabay is sourced from the same places and subject to poor quality control. This means its always worth buying a bundle when you can to maintain consistency where it matters. The colour temp you really should aim for is 5000 degrees kelvin (5k). This will give you a 'daylight' colour (proper white) with just the merest tinge of blue.

HTH
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YorkshireDave For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 13:45   #147
philrocks

After having my LED lights for a while now, thought i would update you with what i found out yesterday.

They had began to short, and where causing sparks/burning around where they where mounted.

The plastic they are mounted in had also crumbled to nothing when i touched it.

Want to fit some more, anyone got any recommendations on what to use? or do you just change regularly? I had mine on for somwhere between 1 and 2 years, with up to 5 hours driving a week,probably averages to less though.

Previous Volvos: Volvo S40 1.9d

philrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 14:22   #148
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrocks View Post
After having my LED lights for a while now, thought i would update you with what i found out yesterday.

They had began to short, and where causing sparks/burning around where they where mounted.

The plastic they are mounted in had also crumbled to nothing when i touched it.

Want to fit some more, anyone got any recommendations on what to use? or do you just change regularly? I had mine on for somewhere between 1 and 2 years, with up to 5 hours driving a week,probably averages to less though.
Maybe just got some bad 'uns, mate.

Mine have been fitted for about 3 years, in the side runners and the interiors, with no issues. They were also cheapies from China, so it isn't anything to do with quality of the bulbs.

Just get a bulk quantity from Asia and work out the matching colours, as the K rating can vary between LEDs in the same batch.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 14:40   #149
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Part of the reason they deteriorate is poor heat sinking. Often cheap lamps have poor quality heat sinks so they do get hot (nowhere near as hot as halogens) and this (along with the natural vibration) causes the poor quality PCBs to fall apart (often they delaminate).

When you look at good quality lamps the solder pads are huge compared to the cheapies. This means there is less chance of them literally vibrating apart. The heat sinks used are also very much better and do not rely on passing air flow (obviously as they are mostly enclosed) unlike the cheapies.

I've been experimenting with glues to try and reduce vibrational (?) stress but so far have failed miserably... I'm find they are so small there is nowhere for additional glue to go!
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YorkshireDave For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 15:06   #150
coffeejunky
Young Padawan

I have had these for the past year. No problems at all. Not the brightest during the day, but look as good as the original 3W at night:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QTY-10-T10...item2c842d6064
They are designed for automotive use and mounted so they get good airflow and have 4 solder points so as to prevent vibration fatigue (hu he).

EDIT: You can get brighter ones in white: Search T10 flux on eBay. Lots of options, these might fit and look good.

Last edited by coffeejunky; Jul 24th, 2015 at 15:33.
coffeejunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coffeejunky For This Useful Post:

Tags
fire impending doom, how to, led, leds, light bulbs, side light