Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My first month and first 1k miles with a 850 T5

Views : 1898

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 13:00   #11
Silverbrick
Deep sea Skiver!!!

+1 on the strut brace. I fitted one to my old 850 T5 saloon & it was noticable on turn in how much sharper it was and with it being a proper Volvo part it fit properly
Silverbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 13:04   #12
ovlov25
Premier Member

Does it cause clearance issues at service time??

I know you have to lift the brace off to pull the spark outta cyl1 on the mazda.

Whats the preferred brand? Sparco etc.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 13:16   #13
Silverbrick
Deep sea Skiver!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov25 View Post
Does it cause clearance issues at service time??

I know you have to lift the brace off to pull the spark outta cyl1 on the mazda.

Whats the preferred brand? Sparco etc.
No clearance issues as far as I remember.

The preferred way to get one is go into your local Volvo main dealer & ask for a strut brace for a 850 T5 The Volvo ones are the best fitting and only cost about £70 & take 1/2 hour to fit. Kalmar Union sell them but they`re cheaper from Volvo (they were when I got mine anyway)
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 13:18   #14
ovlov25
Premier Member

Cool, i'll price it up next week. Need to scoot upto the dealers anyway for some odds and ends.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 13:24   #15
Silverbrick
Deep sea Skiver!!!

If you have a look on Kalmar Unions site there a good picture of it, at least then you`ll know what it`s like
They don`t usually stock them so if you give them a bell to order it in. IMO the Volvo brace is the only one to get as it does fit properly & there`s no cursing trying to stop it touching things & bend it into shape so the mounting holes line up!
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 14:05   #16
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I had a strut brace on my 850 and V70 and they look very nice, well finished and make a difference. No clearance or service issues when fitted.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 21:19   #17
John_C
Allons-y!

Even with knackered shocks and bushes a brace made a huge difference on my 850, like the other posters have said it's worth it and the genuine Volvo one is good value.

See this (ahem, *slightly* over-excited ) post I made when I got mine and you can see from the picture it's no issue for servicing work etc:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...1&postcount=44

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 22:19   #18
itguy

Hi Everyone

Sorry to butt in but I just wondered what the benefit of a poly top mount is on the engine?

Strut brace I understand but what's the deal with the top mount?

Thanks

Will.
itguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 22:22   #19
ovlov25
Premier Member

Every one telling me it makes a 'huge difference' is enough lol

Stops alot of unwanted engine movement, apparent when you are really pushing on through the gears.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:04   #20
Bernard333
Premier Member

I have a 2003 V70 D5 with 116K mile and the top engine mount inner rubber bush is now split the whole way around , as its captive within the bush even though its detached it must be performing some function even though not very well . At motorway speed I am noticing a muffled rumbling noise when going over an uneven surface and wondering if its the detached engine mount causing it . What is this 'poly bush' that been mentioned a few times and what does it do better than a standard rubber bush ? if I am going to have to renew the top engine mount anyway should I just get a poly bush , is there a special part number to ask for ?
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote